+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rubin Colwill

Re: Rubin Colwill

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    We had Sang, Bagan, Colwill and Harris all staring yesterday. And we are unbeaten so far this season. Who would have thought these players would be starting even a year ago? And Giles (I know he is on loan but he's only 21) on the bench. Rather this than have Madine , Tomlin, Hoilett, Glatzel and Bamba on big money.
    Exactly this

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don’t know what sort of career Colwill will have with us, no one does, but we don’t play in a manner designed to bring the best out of players who operate just behind the striker like he does - if Harry Wilson and Lee Tomlin struggled to make an impact in the first half of home matches, it’s a pretty sure thing Colwill will.
    You come across as Mr Reasonable and seem quite knowledgeable about City and football generally but then you come out with something like this !! Do you think that we would deliberately bring a talented, ball playing, attacking midfielder through our system just so that we can stick him in the first team and try to get him to totally change the way he plays ? He is where he is currently in his development and is the type of player he is because he has been brought through our youth and under 23 systems and taught in the right way to make the most of his natural ability. Instead of giving praise to our current youth development structure and staff for the young players we are bringing through at the moment, you insinuate that he (and others) will fail because we don’t play the right way. How are we supposed to alter the way we play unless we develop our young talent and get them to the first team. Its all doom and gloom isn’t it, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The "he's only 19" tag seems would seem fair in what little football be's played, if he had shown a mere semblance of promise. Yet to me he looks weak, slow, and in truth would barely get a start in most league 1 sides. Bristol City had a 17yr old on the pitch against Swansea who didn't look out of place.
    He and Harris have a future in football no doubt, but at Championship level ?
    So you think he hasn't shown ‘a mere semblance of promise’. Everyone else, including the current manager and his coaching staff, the Welsh manager and his coaching staff, all the scouts who have been watching him, the media and most of our fans (including me) are wrong then. I bow to your superior knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    The way we play means that the ball isn't going to miraculously be passed to you. And in the first half that was certainly the case for Colwill. Second half though he came looking for the ball more and started to make better runs with the ball. Made a poor decision to pass to Moore rather than shoot. Will be a good player for us and will get sharper.
    I wouldn't call it poor personally, maybe the wrong choice in the moment, but then again if Moore didn't anticipate Colwill shooting and made the run into the box and managed to finish it, we would all be saying what a great pass it was.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Wether Colwill will develop into a championship and international footballer remains to be seen, he obviously has talent if he’s standing out in City and Wales training sessions, but starting to write him off after his first start in front of a crowd is utterly ****ing pathetic, even by City fans standards. He hasn’t had a pre season either remember, he’s same as Moore in that regard and he isn’t exactly firing on all cylinders yet either.

Bagan is another coming in for criticsm. I just don’t get it. Did people think they were going to come in and never going to make a mistake? Developing your own players in the first team means they we’ll be learning and developing on the job. Patience is required.
    It’s little wonder we don’t produce many of our own players with such a toxic and impatient fan base.
    Here here.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You come across as Mr Reasonable and seem quite knowledgeable about City and football generally but then you come out with something like this !! Do you think that we would deliberately bring a talented, ball playing, attacking midfielder through our system just so that we can stick him in the first team and try to get him to totally change the way he plays ? He is where he is currently in his development and is the type of player he is because he has been brought through our youth and under 23 systems and taught in the right way to make the most of his natural ability. Instead of giving praise to our current youth development structure and staff for the young players we are bringing through at the moment, you insinuate that he (and others) will fail because we don’t play the right way. How are we supposed to alter the way we play unless we develop our young talent and get them to the first team. Its all doom and gloom isn’t it, as usual.
    We don't play in a way that suits him.

That's the bare truth mate.

We play to the strengths of players like mozza Flint and Moore. The lumps basically, and that makes sense looking at the team in general.

Not sure what's wrong with bibs post tbh
    You must be in the wind up again.

So you think he hasn't shown ‘a mere semblance of promise’. Everyone else, including the current manager and his coaching staff, the Welsh manager and his coaching staff, all the scouts who have been watching him, the media and most of our fans (including me) are wrong then. I bow to your superior knowledge.
    You should employ that tactic a bit more often. This board is about opinions. I thought there was a decent debate going on with varied points of view and then you show up with your faux indignation and start insulting people. Why don't you relax and just try and make your point?

It’s become a viscous circle with the City whereby we’re finally giving players like Colwill a chance, but during all of those years when we weren’t doing that we pursued policies which resulted in the present situation where we’re unable to provide the sort of service to so called flair players in the first half of matches in particular which gets the best out of them. This has made the challenge facing the current crop of youngsters breaking into the side tougher than it needed to be - having a first team which plays in a completely different manner to the age group teams could have been avoided with a bit of planning of a kind that some supporters were calling for when Russell Slade was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Deary me. I just hope this impatience isn’t reflective of the fan base generally. I’m really enjoying seeing younger players coming through and just hope they don’t become a target for impatient fans eager to make knee-jerk judgements about their careers after a handful of games.
    Best of luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I wouldn't call it poor personally, maybe the wrong choice in the moment, but then again if Moore didn't anticipate Colwill shooting and made the run into the box and managed to finish it, we would all be saying what a great pass it was.
    The pass itself was pretty good as well, Moore apologised for not making the run

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    we have had so few youngsters brought through over the years that I guess the crowd need re-educating as to what to expect.
    they will make mistakes, and have games where they struggle to make an impact. as long as they keep improving and we are still getting good results then that's fine

think about our more established players - what were they doing when they were 19? Moore, Morrison, Pack, Ralls - none of them were the finished article and would have struggled to make any impact at this level until they were a few years older.

it's still too early to tell whether they will ultimately play the majority of their career at this level, but if they don't get game time then it's a lot less likely that they will.
    Very true. My mate is a Yeovil fan and he cannot believe that our Keiffer is the same Keiffer that was on their books in 2013. Seven goals in 50 appearances for Yeovil did not enamour him to their fans but he is obviously a late developer. The same thing could easily apply to Colwill.

After all, who would have thought that a 20 year old loanee called Danny Drinkwater would go on to help Leicester win the Premier League and get 3 England caps in the process.

I've not seen much of him and difficult to give an objective view on someone who is not only young but playing properly in front of probably the largest crowd in his career, not match fit and in a system which is what I doubt he has been used to.

The first half we played narrow with wing backs who not once, that I can remember, overlapped and hit the byline.
    It was all too congested in the middle of the park by two teams that looked not to give the other anything. Not a great spectacle and nobody, not just Colwill, caught the eye.

Second half the game opened up and the lad found himself with a bit of time on the ball and made two errors in particular, one of which was a pass and not the preferred shot, and they prompted the substitution.

Colwill obviously has talent but we have not seen what he is capable of, hopefully Mick keeps faith in him and he can rise to the challenge and show us.

I used the phrase "Yet to me..". It's an opinion.

Didn't really grab his chance but given our options he should have more this season.

I'm sure most of us are willing him to do well and would be delighted to see more academy players able to compete for starting places.

We played 5-4-1 against Blackpool, and could have scored 5 or 6.

Our 2 best players that day were Bacuna and Giles, who played wide in the 4. Yesterday we replaced them with Colwill and Harris, and it looked like we’d never score.

For me, I’m not sure about Harris…is he a striker, a 10, or a midfielder? He did nothing yesterday, and until Giles came on, we were struggling to create anything.

Another observation, our 2 wing backs (Bagan and Sang) are very inexperienced, and don’t offer us much offensively at the moment, although both look very capable, and will hopefully get better the more they play.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    We played 5-4-1 against Blackpool, and could have scored 5 or 6.

Our 2 best players that day were Bacuna and Giles, who played wide in the 4. Yesterday we replaced them with Colwill and Harris, and it looked like we’d never score.

For me, I’m not sure about Harris…is he a striker, a 10, or a midfielder? He did nothing yesterday, and until Giles came on, we were struggling to create anything.

Another observation, our 2 wing backs (Bagan and Sang) are very inexperienced, and don’t offer us much offensively at the moment, although both look very capable, and will hopefully get better the more they play.
    And both were poor at Peterborough, on came Harris & Colwill and Harris' running in particular helped change the game. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. Harris has proven himself to be a useful option over the past year or so & Colwill is clearly talented, it just takes time.

Need to give these younger players a chance, if they were perfect then they would have been snapped up by bigger clubs ages ago. Bagan in particular at wingback will make costly mistakes from time to time but its how he learns from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    He and Moore also got battered first half. Most of it illegal and ignored by an absolutely hopeless ref
    I think that's part of the directives this season for the referees to let more go.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    And both were poor at Peterborough, on came Harris & Colwill and Harris' running in particular helped change the game. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. Harris has proven himself to be a useful option over the past year or so & Colwill is clearly talented, it just takes time.
    I agree, Ferguson obviously saw the Blackpool game, and closed them both down. I agree re Colwill, and I hope you’re right about Harris…I just can’t see it myself.

The pass itself was pretty good as well, Moore apologised for not making the run
    Difference between footballers and non footballers.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    I agree, Ferguson obviously saw the Blackpool game, and closed them both down. I agree re Colwill, and I hope you’re right about Harris…I just can’t see it myself.
    I think Peterborough changed shape when they played us as well which obviously shows he did his homework on us. I much prefer Bacuna in a deeper midfield role, it also frees up a spot for a genuine attacking player

I think Harris has improved immensely over the past year or so. When he came into the side under Neil Harris he was effective but didn't seem to have many obvious attributes, when he came back under Mick he looked a far better player with his goal at Birmingham showing that

I think Peterborough changed shape when they played us as well which obviously shows he did his homework on us. I much prefer Bacuna in a deeper midfield role, it also frees up a spot for a genuine attacking player

I think Harris has improved immensely over the past year or so. When he came into the side under Neil Harris he was effective but didn't seem to have many obvious attributes, when he came back under Mick he looked a far better player with his goal at Birmingham showing that
    yep, at that age they are only going to really improve if they are playing

Quote Originally Posted by Random in Duquesa View Post
    yep agree
    He looks a well grounded young man.
    I think training with seasoned professionals like Bale/Ramsey and Allen and seeing how they conduct themselves can only be a positive for him.