+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubin Colwill

Rubin Colwill

I thought he looked tidy and I'm sure he'll improve with game time. MM seemed to be yelling at him a lot in the first half but I couldn't make out what he was saying.

Re: Rubin Colwill

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I thought he looked tidy and I'm sure he'll improve with game time. MM seemed to be yelling at him a lot in the first half but I couldn't make out what he was saying.
    He barely got a kick in the first half, but came into the game a bit more after the break, but it was inevitable that he was going to be one of the first to be substituted - I think it needs to be remembered that, much like Keiffer Moore and Leandro Bacuna, he’s effectively doing his pre season work in league games.

I don’t think the fanfare surrounding the kid is good for him.

Being taken to the Euros has just made the expectation even higher and all this before he’s barely kicked a ball for the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Being taken to the Euros has just made the expectation even higher and all this before he’s barely kicked a ball for the first team.
    Agreed.

yep agree

I felt that the first half passed most of the players by. The second half showed improvement by degrees and Colwill was a part of that improvement. But as theotherbobwilson says, you sort of knew Colwill would come of, and it was good that it occurred after some good contributions from him, so it was not a case of being hooked.
    I thought he did well… first major home debut in front of fans.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He barely got a kick in the first half, but came into the game a bit more after the break, but it was inevitable that he was going to be one of the first to be substituted - I think it needs to be remembered that, much like Keiffer Moore and Leandro Bacuna, he’s effectively doing his pre season work in league games.
    He and Moore also got battered first half. Most of it illegal and ignored by an absolutely hopeless ref

I thought he struggled today.

I thought that he lacked a bit of awareness. It made it look as though he was unaware of his position. Flint had the ball once in the first half, bringing it out and played a 30 yard ball wide to no avail, I thought that Colwill should have been the one to make a show for a shorter pass and keeping possession.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I thought that he lacked a bit of awareness. It made it look as though he was unaware of his position. Flint had the ball once in the first half, bringing it out and played a 30 yard ball wide to no avail, I thought that Colwill should have been the one to make a show for a shorter pass and keeping possession.
    The way we play means that the ball isn't going to miraculously be passed to you. And in the first half that was certainly the case for Colwill. Second half though he came looking for the ball more and started to make better runs with the ball. Made a poor decision to pass to Moore rather than shoot. Will be a good player for us and will get sharper.

The "he's only 19" tag seems would seem fair in what little football be's played, if he had shown a mere semblance of promise. Yet to me he looks weak, slow, and in truth would barely get a start in most league 1 sides. Bristol City had a 17yr old on the pitch against Swansea who didn't look out of place.
    He and Harris have a future in football no doubt, but at Championship level ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The "he's only 19" tag seems would seem fair in what little football be's played, if he had shown a mere semblance of promise. Yet to me he looks weak, slow, and in truth would barely get a start in most league 1 sides. Bristol City had a 17yr old on the pitch against Swansea who didn't look out of place.
    Alex Scott, he's 18, but only just Although physically more advanced. I'm not going to get into a debate about Colwill, because i didn't see yesterdays game and he hasn't played enough for most of us to make any clear judgement. He obviously has ability, but how anyone can make a call on that is very difficult in my opinion.

I don’t know what sort of career Colwill will have with us, no one does, but we don’t play in a manner designed to bring the best out of players who operate just behind the striker like he does - if Harry Wilson and Lee Tomlin struggled to make an impact in the first half of home matches, it’s a pretty sure thing Colwill will.

Wether Colwill will develop into a championship and international footballer remains to be seen, he obviously has talent if he’s standing out in City and Wales training sessions, but starting to write him off after his first start in front of a crowd is utterly ****ing pathetic, even by City fans standards. He hasn’t had a pre season either remember, he’s same as Moore in that regard and he isn’t exactly firing on all cylinders yet either.

Bagan is another coming in for criticsm. I just don’t get it. Did people think they were going to come in and never going to make a mistake? Developing your own players in the first team means they we’ll be learning and developing on the job. Patience is required.
    It’s little wonder we don’t produce many of our own players with such a toxic and impatient fan base.

I think weve got a good group of young players. Id like to see Sang given a go in centre of midfield at some point.

Luckily our coaching staff and the Welsh coaching staff know far more about footballing ability than some of our fans.

It doesn't help his cause that our midfield was mostly bypassed with long balls to the striker in the first half.
    He's a player that needs the ball to his feet going forward he lived off scraps most of the game.

Young footballers clearly do their best when expectations are manageable but support is high. Fans in the stadium and online have a role in that as do the local media.

Wether Colwill will develop into a championship and international footballer remains to be seen, he obviously has talent if he’s standing out in City and Wales training sessions, but starting to write him off after his first start in front of a crowd is utterly ****ing pathetic, even by City fans standards. He hasn’t had a pre season either remember, he’s same as Moore in that regard and he isn’t exactly firing on all cylinders yet either.

Bagan is another coming in for criticsm. I just don’t get it. Did people think they were going to come in and never going to make a mistake? Developing your own players in the first team means they we’ll be learning and developing on the job. Patience is required.
    It’s little wonder we don’t produce many of our own players with such a toxic and impatient fan base.
    we have had so few youngsters brought through over the years that I guess the crowd need re-educating as to what to expect.
    they will make mistakes, and have games where they struggle to make an impact. as long as they keep improving and we are still getting good results then that's fine

think about our more established players - what were they doing when they were 19? Moore, Morrison, Pack, Ralls - none of them were the finished article and would have struggled to make any impact at this level until they were a few years older.

it's still too early to tell whether they will ultimately play the majority of their career at this level, but if they don't get game time then it's a lot less likely that they will.

It was always going to be a baptism of fire against Millwall...wouldnt gauge anything from this game apart from the fact the MM trusted him, Sang, Bagan enough to start so they must be showing something. Wasnt the type of game for him to shine really just dig in - he'll come good.

Players are still learning and improving at that age. Personally I think it's great to see so many involved, even if the real reason behind it is financial necessity.
    Maybe we need to look at it as a two season project - if promotion this season is a step too far but we give it a good go, so be it, but a better chance next season with a crop of talented youngsters with some experience under their belts?

I agree. People on here have been moaning we don't give youth a chance, but when we do they whinge that we haven't bought enough players or give the young player one or two games and then grumble that they should be dropped,often because they are showing their inexperience. As you say, how on earth are they meant to gain experience if they are not playing games?

Deary me. I just hope this impatience isn’t reflective of the fan base generally. I’m really enjoying seeing younger players coming through and just hope they don’t become a target for impatient fans eager to make knee-jerk judgements about their careers after a handful of games.

The "he's only 19" tag seems would seem fair in what little football be's played, if he had shown a mere semblance of promise.
    Birmingham away last season he was the best player in the pitch. And I say that about a game where Harry Wilson scored one of the best hattricks I've ever seen.

We had Sang, Bagan, Colwill and Harris all staring yesterday. And we are unbeaten so far this season. Who would have thought these players would be starting even a year ago? And Giles (I know he is on loan but he's only 21) on the bench. Rather this than have Madine , Tomlin, Hoilett, Glatzel and Bamba on big money.