+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Joel Bagan now Irish not Scots!

Joel Bagan now Irish not Scots!

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/scotla...ic-of-ireland/

Cardiff City defender Joel Bagan has decided to play for the Republic of Ireland instead of Scotland (Sun).

The 19-year-old has represented Scotland at youth level and has started the season strongly with Cardiff City in the English Championship. He recently signed a new contract until the summer of 2023 with the Welsh side.

A left-back, Bagan has started all four of Cardiff City’s opening Championship matches, and they are yet to suffer a loss. Bagan has made 13 appearances overall for Cardiff City alongside a loan spell at Notts County.

He is eligible to play for the Scotland U19s and U21s at present but will instead opt to link up with the Republic of Ireland U21s. His younger brother Sam, who plays for QPR, is already in the Irish youth system. Bagan could still change back to Scotland, but that option is only available until he makes a senior appearance at international level.

Left-back will be an extremely tough spot to break into with the Scotland national team. Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney and Greg Taylor the current options, while talents like Josh Doig and Aaron Hickey have shown early promise.

Re: Joel Bagan now Irish not Scots!

Big Mick’s influence?

I think it is as simple as choose one national team and hardly play for the senior team or have a decent chance of playing for another.

He was born in Basingstoke so I doubt he has an overriding pull to either so he can look at both options in a very objective way.

apparently his brother plays at right back, the symmetry pleases me

Best of luck to the lad.

He's got no chance of playing with Scotland as Tiernay and Robertson are very strong players in that position. Opting for Ireland is probably a sensible move for a person wanting to play International football. Didn't Kieffer Moore and others opt for Wales for that reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    He's got no chance of playing with Scotland as Tiernay and Robertson are very strong players in that position. Opting for Ireland is probably a sensible move for a person wanting to play International football. Didn't Kieffer Moore and others opt for Wales for that reason?
    If we're being honest then yes.

Many other examples in other sports too. Van Der Merwe for Scotland and the Lions being a recent one. Don't tell me in a game between the Lions and South Africa he would not want to be wearing the green of SA if he was good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    If we're being honest then yes.

Many other examples in other sports too. Van Der Merwe for Scotland and the Lions being a recent one. Don't tell me in a game between the Lions and South Africa he would not want to be wearing the green of SA if he was good enough.
    I appreciate your honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    apparently his brother plays at right back, the symmetry pleases me
    Maybe we should go in for Murphy and Bacunas brothers.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...ibility-rules/

FIFA has made changes to international eligibility, allowing players who have played less than four competitive games to switch country.

At today's virtual congress, the member associations approved the rule change, which allows players to switch national teams once to another country for which they hold eligibility, provided they played no more than three matches for their initial national side, and all before turning 21.

Appearances at a World Cup finals or confederation finals such as the Euros would prohibit a player from switching, but appearing in tournament qualifying matches would not disqualify them.
    Fact-check: Joel Bagan isn't restricted from playing for Scotland after making one senior appearance for Ireland (unless it's at a tournament) on basis of having 0 appearances for Ireland and being under age of 21.

International allegiances will become an increasingly complex story both based on this rule change and the increasing number of individuals who become eligible for multiple sides. Players will make decisions for many different reasons with Ntazana Mayembe (Cardiff City youth) and Ryan Shawcross (asked about playing for Wales) being two examples that it's not just a career move.

QUOTE=Fine Lines;5218241]Maybe we should go in for Murphy and Bacunas brothers.[/QUOTE

Now there’s a thread on its own, brothers who’ve played for the City.

Ron & Albert Stitfall
    David & Robert Summerhayes
    John & Mel Charles
    Dave & Gary Bennett
    David & Paul Giles
    The evil McKay twins

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Maybe we should go in for Murphy and Bacunas brothers.
    so a 3-4-2-1
    with Bagan -bacuna - bacuna Bagan as the 4 and the 2 Murphys behind a striker who preferably has a brother who plays in central defence

so a 3-4-2-1
    with Bagan -bacuna - bacuna Bagan as the 4 and the 2 Murphys behind a striker who preferably has a brother who plays in central defence
    I was thinking james Collins up top , and james Collins centre half too.

Never mind that, The biggest scandal must be Mozza not getting the tap from the republic of ireland. The only think that i can think of is that he still harbours hopes of Southgate giving him a call!

not brothers, but I've checked with the adjudicators and they'll allow it

Lewis Collins & Aaron Collins, Jay Bowen & Sam Bowen

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    QUOTE=Fine Lines;5218241]Maybe we should go in for Murphy and Bacunas brothers.[/QUOTE

Ron & Albert Stitfall
    John & Mel Charles
    Dave & Gary Bennett
    David & Paul Giles
    The evil McKay twins
    With BoB Stitfall (one Welsh Cup game) in goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Never mind that, The biggest scandal must be Mozza not getting the tap from the republic of ireland. The only think that i can think of is that he still harbours hopes of Southgate giving him a call!
    Maybe he thinks if he can't play for England he doesn't want international football..

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

Ron & Albert Stitfall
    John & Mel Charles
    Dave & Gary Bennett
    David & Paul Giles
    The evil McKay twins

Morrison must have declined playing for Ireland. Cant believe he wouldnt be capped if hed made himself available.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Morrison must have declined playing for Ireland. Cant believe he wouldnt be capped if hed made himself available.
    Yeah, who are the regular pairing for the ROi over the past 5 years or so? They're utter shit, play horrible football, mozz would never fit in.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yeah, who are the regular pairing for the ROi over the past 5 years or so? They're utter shit, play horrible football, mozz would never fit in.....
    is it Richard Keogh?

is it Richard Keogh?
    Duffy and Egan thinking about it