+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football laws you would change

Football laws you would change

Two off the top of my head for starters would be the players coming together ruling and shepherding the ball out for a goal kick.

There was one instance yesterday where the Chelsea defender (believe it was James) basically body checked the attacking player while running in a different direction to where the ball was. It is obstructing a player from running and physically stopping them from getting to it. If you stop them with an arm, a shirt pull or a leg it is a penalty but changing your running arc and body checking them is within the rules? Not for me and it should be changed.

Another rule that I would change would be shepherding the ball out for a goal kick. Nowhere else on the pitch can you back in to a player sometimes yards from the ball, sometimes forcibly using your arms to push a player in a direction away from the ball but apparently it seems allowed when the ball is going close to going out for a goal kick. Should be a free kick every time for me.

In short I think an offence should be one regardless of where it happens on the field and there is no consistency with this kind of thing.

Re: Football laws you would change

Penalty for a potential goal scoring opportunity thwarted by foul means anywhere on the pitch. As examples, when clean through and fouled outside the box, or a quick counter attack where the attacking side is overloading the defending team.

Its madness that any foul in the goalkeeping area is a penalty regardless of goal scoring opportunity but a clear goal scoring opportunities elsewhere is just a free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Penalty for a potential goal scoring opportunity thwarted by foul means anywhere on the pitch. As examples, when clean through and fouled outside the box, or a quick counter attack where the attacking side is overloading the defending team.

Its madness that any foul in the goalkeeping area is a penalty regardless of goal scoring opportunity but a clear goal scoring opportunities elsewhere is just a free kick.
    That is a tricky one. Understand the thinking behind it though.

Another for me is a penalty and a red card for a hand stopping the ball going into the net. Giving a penalty and a red card for me doesn't quite deal with it correctly. Maybe a yellow and give the goal. Surely we could have a ball tracking system like cricket given the technology in the game at the top level? A penalty for this is usually scored and the team being reduced to ten men is a double punishment surely?

The "play on - advantage" law. Too many times a ref will let play go on because the side that has been fouled have retained possession, as us Cardiff fans know possession isn't always an advantage. And if the play goes on for some time after the offence has been committed the ref doesn't get around to punishing the offender.

I'm old enough to remember the 'obstruction law' which, if I remember correctly was "obstructing" your access to the ball and was making no attempt to play the ball himself he was penalised with an 'indirect' free-kick and you were within the laws to push him out of the way. Which is much the same point that LB was making.

Harsher penalties for diving and cheating. Blatant dive by Jacob Murphy on Saturday which could have led to a penalty and obviously a goal. He didn't even get a yellow. For me, it should be a straight red. There should also be more scrutiny of players dragging a leg out and basically tripping themselves up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Harsher penalties for diving and cheating. Blatant dive by Jacob Murphy on Saturday which could have led to a penalty and obviously a goal. He didn't even get a yellow. For me, it should be a straight red. There should also be more scrutiny of players dragging a leg out and basically tripping themselves up.
    I've noticed referees have seemingly lost their bottle on this recently. Is it a directive from above?

Times when players hit the grass with force and quite theatrically where the ref tells the player to get up or is sure it isn't a penalty but very rarely a yellow card is given lately.

As is the case with foul play or cheating it will very rarely changed until the crackdown on it changes to force the change.

I think in this case a referee using the rugby lead and putting a player on report would see some issue. Warning for diving followed by missing games for it might see a change.
    Sadly I think it is part of the game now and going nowhere. It doesn't make it right but some commentators/pundits applaud how clever some players are while basically cheating.

When the ball goes for a goal kick on the left side of the goal - it should be taken from that same side and not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    When the ball goes for a goal kick on the left side of the goal - it should be taken from that same side and not the other.
    Not sure I agree but it does give ample opportunity for a bit of time wasting.

Also throw ins taken from the spot the ball went out and not 10/15 yards further up the field.
    The shaving foam needs to be used here too.

This is what I was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    This is what I was getting at.
    I disagree with the goal kick side being dictated in that the side you take the goal kick would then be dictated by the other team putting the ball out.

I think if it is your goal kick then you should be able to choose where you take it from. Just having a set time to take it should sort it out and spotting the ball only once.

We've all seen the goalkeeper antics but again we don't mind them if it is us doing it with a minute left but hate it if it is the opposition doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I disagree with the goal kick side being dictated in that the side you take the goal kick would then be dictated by the other team putting the ball out.

I think if it is your goal kick then you should be able to choose where you take it from. Just having a set time to take it should sort it out and spotting the ball only once.

We've all seen the goalkeeper antics but again we don't mind them if it is us doing it with a minute left but hate it if it is the opposition doing it.
    I think the take a goal kick from either side rule was brought in to reduce time wasting. A goalie could 'accidentally' put it on the wrong side, then the ref has to tell him, he pretends not to understand, the ref goes over, and so on.

Like you say, a set time removes all the arguments.

Only headed goals allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous Angel View Post
    Only headed goals allowed.
    Did somebody say champions?

And I'm talking Champions League here.

No dodgy decisions against Cardiff.

Removal of goal-line technology. Instead, both teams argue between themselves as to whether the ball crossed the line.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Free hit on a diving player. Will sort it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Removal of goal-line technology. Instead, both teams argue between themselves as to whether the ball crossed the line.
    This is my favorite so far but would like to add that fisticuffs are allowed too.

Immediate yellow card for any player called Grealish who falls over.

Id make it illegal for a player to take the ball to the corner flag and just shield it making no attempt to play it just wasting time.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post

Sin bin for 15 minutes.

Mandatory goal music

Agree with the shielding on, should have to be actively playing the ball, otherwise a foul.

I would reduce games to 30 minute halves with the clock only counting when ball is in play. ( this would only be for professional football)

Free kicks inside the box for non goal scoring opportunities or a free shot but from where offence occurred

Get rid of the law that allows defenders to batter Keiffer for 90 minutes.

Should be able to cite players who get away with violent conduct or diving during the game, with a one match ban if found guilty.

Keep extra time, but get rid of penalties. The only difference being that each team has to remove one player every three minutes, from the field of play, until there is so much space that someone is bound to score. The game keeps going until someone does score.