+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ian Bloody Botham

Ian Bloody Botham

Trade Envoy to Australia. How much lower can Global Britain and the Torys sink. Absolutely embarrassing.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/...691835907?s=21

Re: Ian Bloody Botham

It really is embarrassing.
    You don't have to have any kind of knowledge, experience or ability to be a part of this government, you just to be a fan of brexit.
    Peter Shilton as UK ambassador to Argentina next?

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Trade Envoy to Australia. How much lower can Global Britain and the Torys sink. Absolutely embarrassing.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/...691835907?s=21
    What do you think a trade envoy actually does?

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    It really is embarrassing.
    You don't have to have any kind of knowledge, experience or ability to be a part of this government, you just to be a fan of brexit.
    Peter Shilton as UK ambassador to Argentina next?
    What do you say to the question I asked Ninian Opinion above?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    What do you say to the question I asked Ninian Opinion above?
    In the government's own words "use their skills, experience, and market knowledge to help UK businesses find new export and investment opportunities and promote UK trade in their allocated market."

What do you think a trade envoy actually does?
    Beat up defenceless women

Come on it’s embarrassing. I understand Jim Davidson is being appointed Race Relations Commissioner tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    In the government's own words "use their skills, experience, and market knowledge to help UK businesses find new export and investment opportunities and promote UK trade in their allocated market."
    As a matter of interest where did you see that?

I was working off the quote

"They support the drive for economic growth by building on the UK’s existing relations with these markets and maximising bilateral trade, thereby generating real and long term benefits for the UK."

taken from

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/trade-envoys

BY my quote (and what I have understood in the past) they are basically salesmen using their contacts (and in Bothams' case certainly his celebrity status albeit some years ago).

I would wonder if many of the 36 Trade envoys actually meet the full specification that you found as the are all parliamentarians not business people ( though they may of course be both).

The heading of one Independent story is rather ludicrous where Sean O'Grady their Associate Editor says

"Ian Botham might be a fine cricketer. But a trade negotiator? I think not"

I think not either. A trade envoy is not a negotiator. If they were appointing Ian Botham as a Trade Negotiator that would be ludicrous

As David Henig a former Government Trade negotiator and Director of the UK Trade Policy Project says

"Lots of attention to the announcement of Ian Botham as trade envoy to Australia.

Undeserved attention either way - these are quite minor roles which may help or hinder UK Government or business efforts at the margins, but are not central."

Personally I am pretty indifferent to his appointment. Don't think its worth the fuss being made though.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Beat up defenceless women

Come on it’s embarrassing. I understand Jim Davidson is being appointed Race Relations Commissioner tomorrow
    Embarrassing in your eyes maybe. I don't think most people will care less. ( your Jim Davidson comparison is ludicrous by the way)

As a matter of interest where did you see that?.
    I got it from here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...ound-the-world

I would agree that probably none of them will add a lot a value. Bit of a waste of time and money all round.

It won't do his wine business any harm.

Another example of Tory cronyism.

Just like handing out PPE contracts to their mates.

At last some decent representation , and he's batting for our side .