+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Tomlin

Re: Lee Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    If he was a model professional he wouldn't be playing for us.

He's been the same at every club that he's been at
    Exactly. I can't seeing him even getting a gem for us this season, not even in the cup. Out of contract next summer and he will have to seriously lower his wage expectations to get a club in Division Two or even National League. And even there I think a club would rather spend £1000-1500 per week on a younger , fitter player with prospects.

If he has mental health issues then I hope the club fully back him in getting him the help he needs in relation to this.

As far as playing for and positively contributing to the betterment of Cardiff City Football Club is concerned he is not fit for purpose. He is a waste of a wage in the squad.

I've loved watching Tomlin play for us and he has been one of the few players in recent years that I really looked forward to seeing playing. I even saw him play when he was with Rushden & Diamonds a few times as a work colleague at the time was a season ticket holder there.

All Goals & Assists for Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    If he's a lazy s*d then yes, the criticism is justified. If it is because of Mental Illness then this is like criticising someone for having any other type of chronic illness. They're both disabilities and should be treated with respect. I know you're not being deliberately mean but we have no idea how serious his illness is.
    you are right we don't have any idea on his illness, the club has been supportive

BUT

it seems when he needs a new contract he gets fit, gives 100% and all is great, yet when he has the comfort / security of his new contract, its all downhill

His best time here, and potentially his whole career, was under Neil Harris when he got himself fit. This came shortly after a media article where he explained his issues.

Difficult to know what has happened since. Highly, highly unlikely he gets another contract here so we're left with memories of an expensive player Warnock never liked and didn't know how to use, a real player under Harris and an expensive contract for an absent individual under Mick.

Your body is more likely to break down if you've not looked after it - a lesson to us fans and those in the youth ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    injury doesn't mean you need to end up like a tellytuby

the size of the bloke when he started to make his comeback was embarrassing

he is s.posed to be a professional, acted like a pub player, even my girls team stayed fit during lockdown
    We're back to calling the man who had public mental health issues a telly tubby now are we.

Nice.

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    If he has mental health issues then I hope the club fully back him in getting him the help he needs in relation to this.

As far as playing for and positively contributing to the betterment of Cardiff City Football Club is concerned he is not fit for purpose. He is a waste of a wage in the squad.
    His agent talked about the mental health/personal issues and how Mr Tomlin had recovered from them and was now fit and raring to play..........just before he signed a contract extention.
    Since then rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    If he's a lazy s*d then yes, the criticism is justified. If it is because of Mental Illness then this is like criticising someone for having any other type of chronic illness. They're both disabilities and should be treated with respect. I know you're not being deliberately mean but we have no idea how serious his illness is.
    Didn't get this far in the thread when I replied. Spot on.

I have relatives that put on weight due to mental health medication.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    We're back to calling the man who had public mental health issues a telly tubby now are we.

Nice.
    Didn’t know about his public mental issues, but it IS hilarious!

Not forgetting that the man is a brilliant footballer by the way.

I’ve seen him in B&Q in Cambridge by the way. Very friendly lovely bloke I must say and more than happy to chat on about Cardiff City and loves the club. Funny man too who’d make you laugh so I’m sure he wouldn’t get precious about the telly tubby thing.

Wikipedia has Tomlin signing a new deal with City on 10/1/20;-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Tomlin

On the 18th January, Tomlin scored an equaliser for us in the 1-1 draw at Birmingham and then, in our next league match on the 28th, he scored late on from a free kick to secure a 2-1 win over eventual runners up West Brom. Ten days after that, he got the only goal at Luton before suffering an injury after our draw with Wigan on 15 February which was reported as being as season ending one. However, the cessation of fixtures meant that Tomlin was fit again by the time they resumed in June and he played a big part in helping us into the top six - he scored the goal which won us the Second Leg of the Play Off at Fulham, but then suffered a hamstring injury later in the match which curtailed his pre season for 20/21.

I saw very little of Tomlin last season because the club website wouldn't let me watch the streams of the two home matches he played in, but I was annoyed by his sending off at Blackburn which seemed selfish and stupid to me.

What has happened with him since then des not reflect well on him and I agree with the comment that, reading between the lines, Mick McCarthy has little intention of playing him. However, does anyone on here know what has gone on behind the scenes with him? I think there's plenty of guesswork going on and I believe the reaction to a "model pro" going through exactly the same as Tomlin did in the second half of 19/20 (playing well, then getting injured, coming back and making a difference in a Play Off challenge, scoring the goal which gave the team hopes of getting to the Final, only to strain a hamstring and have to go off as his team went out) wouid have been much more sympathetic.

As I say, so much of what is being said about Tomlin in this thread is guesswork, but it is plain wrong to suggest, as some have done, that he "downed tools" as soon as he signed his new contract - for much of the period immediately after him signing his new deal, he was our best and most influential player.

Best player technically we have had last few years. Such a shame for us and him that for whatever reason we have rarely seen him.