+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things About Wales that Are Untrue

Re: Things About Wales that Are Untrue

Following a campaign by a resident of North Cardiff, Junction 30 on the M4 was opened in 2015. Unknown to other motorway users, it leads directly to resident's back garden and is for their personal use only.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Has it ever been described as one of Europes biggest housing estates?
    Loads of times , in written print and on BBC Wales Today , its a complete myth . Ely , Townhill etc are far far bigger

Brackla in Bridgend has also been said to be one of Britain's biggest housing developments

It's not

"The reason why there are so many mountains and hills in Wales, is because the Welsh took so much land from the English, that they had to stack it high"

- NOT true!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Loads of times , in written print and on BBC Wales Today , its a complete myth . Ely , Townhill etc are far far bigger

Brackla in Bridgend has also been said to be one of Britain's biggest housing developments

It's not
    Aren't Ely and Townhill suburbs rather than housing estates?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Aren't Ely and Townhill suburbs rather than housing estates?
    According to the 2011 Cencus they are estates

Population of Ely 15000

Townhill 8000

Gurnos 5000

When I was at college we had an urban studies lecturer who had us rolling about laughing when the myth that the gurnos was a huge housing estate was going around

For a town with a population of 50 odd thousand it's a big place but it's not a big place in the big picture

Holme Wood in Bradford has a population of 30000 and I think there may be even bigger estates than that

Population of Ely 15000

Townhill 8000

Gurnos 5000

When I was at college we had an urban studies lecturer who had us rolling about laughing when the myth that the gurnos was a huge housing estate was going around

For a town with a population of 50 odd thousand it's a big place but it's not a big place in the big picture

Holme Wood in Bradford has a population of 30000 and I think there may be even bigger estates than that
    Depends on your definition of housing estate I guess. To me it's a development of council houses built by a local authority, of which the Gurnos is one. Ely and Brackla aren't.

Population of Ely 15000

Townhill 8000

Gurnos 5000

If you throw careau in with Ely, which most people do, then the population rises to around 25,000.

Has it ever been described as one of Europes biggest housing estates?
    I thought it was Ely that used to be the biggest housing estate in Europe? Thats what i was told anyway

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I thought it was Ely that used to be the biggest housing estate in Europe? Thats what i was told anyway
    I think the biggest is in Romford, or around that area, London overspill. Something like 50, 000 residents, although that sounds a lot, doesn't it? Maybe I'm way off.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I have heard that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think the biggest is in Romford, or around that area, London overspill. Something like 50, 000 residents, although that sounds a lot, doesn't it? Maybe I'm way off.
    I think it's called Beacontree ?

"Wales is a principality of England"

I think it's called Beacontree ?
    You're right, Dagenham way. ****ing huge, housed loads of the ford plant workers.

I have heard that one.
    It's a very large estate but not the biggest in the UK

Considering how big it is the people who live there have been served up with crap facilities for years

Maybe it's to do with the geography but why hasn't it got a train station ? The nearest one is fairwater

It's almost forgotten like St Mellons , Llanrhymney ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You're right, Dagenham way. ****ing huge, housed loads of the ford plant workers.
    Now THAT'S a big estate 😆

Are Ford still making cars there ?

Bridgend engine plant is going or gone

It rains all the time

That's clearly untrue

It's sunny today for example 😎😀

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    If wales was squashed flat it would be bigger than England.
    Not so. Wales is 8,000 square miles in area. England is 50,000. That 8,000 square miles could not exceed 50,000 square miles when flattened out. (And England's area would expand even more if it was flattened out).

All Welsh people can sing.

I wish!

It rains all the time

That's clearly untrue

It's sunny today for example 😎😀
    When people from the UK moan about "Welsh weather", whatever that really is.

If someone from Bristol or wherever wants to claim they have better weather then be my guest but I can't help imagining two badly balding guys arguing over who has the best comb over.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    All Welsh people can sing.

I wish!
    The difference to England is that we give it a go mind

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Rugby is the most popular sport in Wales.
    👍

That everyone sounds like Stacey from Gavin and Stacey.

That if you go to a pub in a Welsh speaking place then they go quiet and are from that point probably talking about you because they know you're English. - heard this story so many times.

Everyone has a weird deep hatred of England or English people. Sure some do but certainly nowhere near most, certainly no one I know of personally.

Cardiff is Europe's fastest growing capital city.

Everything in Wales must be close so why bother looking at google or a map - get this so much in work, people from outside Wales will email our Cardiff office when it should go to merthyr, North Wales wherever because they think it must be here. Where as if I don't know where something is in England, Scotland wherever I'll just look on Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Not so. Wales is 8,000 square miles in area. England is 50,000. That 8,000 square miles could not exceed 50,000 square miles when flattened out. (And England's area would expand even more if it was flattened out).
    I think that you're wrong mate. I saw it on a sticker of the back window of a Corsa. I'll just add that there are plenty of people in Wales whose 'other' car is a Ferrari as well. Culture.

If you are Welsh you are a good singer! They obviously haven't heard me.

In the mid 1980s I was working on the building of the A470 around Aberfan/Merthyr Vale. A younger engineers stopped work one day at about 3pm and looked out the window, as he wanted to see the dirty miners walking home from the pit whilst they sang! True.