+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCMB Book Club

CCMB Book Club

I've just finished reading Park Life - Four Seasons in the Rhondda Sunday League (Kindle Edition) by Park Life and can thoroughly recommend it. A humorous and humbling read about grassroots football. By the end of the book I felt like the players were mates and I look forward to dropping names whenever I find myself in Pentre. Will leave a proper review on Amazon soon.

Last year I read Real Madrid and all that: 1970/71, the season which defined Cardiff City for the rest of the twentieth century Paperback Edition by The Other Bob Wilson which is a brilliant reflection on an iconic period of Cardiff City history. Review on Amazon.

I'm unaware of any other football books written by CCMB members but please let me know and I'll definitely read them. I love all things football and just wanted to plug these two books (I'm receiving no commission and paid for my own copies) because I've great admiration for the energy, time, personal sacrifice and determination it takes to write books like these.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 25-08-21 at 19:29. Reason: Spelling

Re: CCMB Book Club

CCMB's sadly missed Caliburn (Clive Menadue) wrote, 'Foxglove Sun: Moments from Childhood Recalled.' Amazon still has one copy, apparently.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foxglove-Su...s=books&sr=1-1

StT.
    <><

park life is a decent read and something I can relate to with my girls coaching journey

that's not llandudno, is a very funny read, I couldn't put it down

Fedd The Beast by Jon Parkin is good and funny read.

Not a CCMB author (I assume) but I'm currently reading my first - and probably last - Secret Footballer book. I got it because it promised a guide to tactics but I'm on page 150 and there's barely a mention so far. He dedicates the book to his family but then suggests they should be equally thankful where his career has taken them and he calls on this pomposity at various points throughout. It's quite interesting so far but there's plenty of filler and he sounds a bit of an arse.

David Goggins

Wim Hoff

On a more constructive note: clearly not a ccmb book, but John Nicholson's book (can we have our football back?) is excellent and as lot of the chat on this board would agree with its central message

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I've just finished reading Park Life - Four Seasons in the Rhondda Sunday League (Kindle Edition) by Park Life and can thoroughly recommend it. A humorous and humbling read about grassroots football. By the end of the book I felt like the players were mates and I look forward to dropping names whenever I find myself in Pentre. Will leave a proper review on Amazon soon.

Last year I read Real Madrid and all that: 1970/71, the season which defined Cardiff City for the rest of the twentieth century Paperback Edition by The Other Bob Wilson which is a brilliant reflection on an iconic period of Cardiff City history. Review on Amazon.

I'm unaware of any other football books written by CCMB members but please let me know and I'll definitely read them. I love all things football and just wanted to plug these two books (I'm receiving no commission and paid for my own copies) because I've great admiration for the energy, time, personal sacrifice and determination it takes to write books like these.

Must get Park Life, I've been meaning to for ages - edit, just have done!

I'd recommend Cal's book, just what you'd expect from him really.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Must get Park Life, I've been meaning to for ages - edit, just have done!

I'd recommend Cal's book, just what you'd expect from him really.
    Will definitely have a read

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    On a more constructive note: clearly not a ccmb book, but John Nicholson's book (can we have our football back?) is excellent and as lot of the chat on this board would agree with its central message
    That's another one on my list. I have a load from the When Saturday Comes stable too. Some great grassroots and non-league footie books from those guys.

I was going to keep Park Life for a holiday read. Looks like it may be years before that happens so I may get it this weekend.

Ive got Bobs book but havent read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Not a CCMB author (I assume) but I'm currently reading my first - and probably last - Secret Footballer book. I got it because it promised a guide to tactics but I'm on page 150 and there's barely a mention so far. He dedicates the book to his family but then suggests they should be equally thankful where his career has taken them and he calls on this pomposity at various points throughout. It's quite interesting so far but there's plenty of filler and he sounds a bit of an arse.
    If you've got Amazon Prime then it's free on Audible at the moment. I don't know if it's the author reading though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    CCMB's sadly missed Caliburn (Clive Menadue) wrote, 'Foxglove Sun: Moments from Childhood Recalled.' Amazon still has one copy, apparently.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foxglove-Su...s=books&sr=1-1

StT.
    <><
    I was lucky enough to get to know Cal a little and he sent me a signed copy of his book. He also sent me a letter about how he met and got to know Harold Pinter.
    Cal was a lovely guy, I miss him and our chats.

Thank you for your kind words about Park Life, I’m chuffed that you enjoyed reading it.
    It was a complete labour of love to write and a struggle to get it published so you taking the time out to say you enjoyed is really appreaciated

Thank you citizens nephew for your kind words about Park Life, I’m chuffed you enjoyed reading it.
    It was a complete labour of love to write and a struggle to get published, so you taking the time out to say that you enjoyed it is really appreciated and has made my day

Sincere thanks to anyone else in this thread who has bought a copy or is going to get one - much appreciated

I wrote Cardiff City 50 Greatest Games which, though it could concludes with us winning promotion under Malky, is brilliant

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cardiff-Cit.../dp/1909178683

You’ll find it cheaper on eBay

That's another one on my list. I have a load from the When Saturday Comes stable too. Some great grassroots and non-league footie books from those guys.
    I’m assuming most people will have read Fever Pitch, but even if one person hasn’t it’s worth mentioning in this thread

If you've got Amazon Prime then it's free on Audible at the moment. I don't know if it's the author reading though.
    Ah thanks, but I don't have Prime at the moment. I doubt if it's the author's voice because then everyone will it's Dave Kitson (apparently).

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I wrote Cardiff City 50 Greatest Games which, though it could concludes with us winning promotion under Malky, is brilliant

Thanks for posting. Another one for my collection. On the list!

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I’m assuming most people will have read Fever Pitch, but even if one person hasn’t it’s worth mentioning in this thread
    The book is better than the film but I still like the film. Great book which I now want to read again!

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/cardi...ches-a-review/

I read From the Ashes - The Real Story of Cardiff City a few years ago. Does anyone know about this or has also read it? Anyone know more about the author Christian Saunders?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm an idiot for not making the connection to The Journey Back! Is it still in print? I can't see it on Amazon and Waterstones.

I'm not sure if the author, David Collins, is a poster on here but I read his book 'I was Born Under a Grange End Star' quite a few years ago, was a good little read, remember really enjoying it at the time.

I'm an idiot for not making the connection to The Journey Back! Is it still in print? I can't see it on Amazon and Waterstones.
    It’s still on Amazon l think, or at least it was when I last looked, it won’t be on Waterstones because they turned it down when I asked them about stocking it back in 2013. I can’t promise that there any still there, but there might be some copies in the Trust Office by Gate 5, you can have one for nothing if they’re still there. If not, I’ve got two or three copies at home here and I can bring one down to the ground next week when I’ll probably be going into Cardiff.

Just looked, it is on Amazon, but they’re still asking £20 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    I'm not sure if the author, David Collins, is a poster on here but I read his book 'I was Born Under a Grange End Star' quite a few years ago, was a good little read, remember really enjoying it at the time.
    Pretty sure he does post on here - read Born Under a Grange End Star and enjoyed it.