+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCMB Book Club

Re: CCMB Book Club

Harry Pearson is my favourite sports writer. Incredibly funny and articulate.If anyone hasn't read 'The Far Corner' then i recommend it, fantastic read.

When I was writing TBL, I used to try to include a book review in most issues. There were an awful lot of them around at the time. I still have a lot of them, but I also gave away a fair few in competition prizes. One of my favourites - probably because I was so surprised how good it actually was - was Robbie Fowler's autobiography 'My life in football'. A great read, and not at all what you expect.

He does indeed post on here. Thanks for the good comments.
    Check this out also….
    https://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/pu...9780750997898/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s still on Amazon l think, or at least it was when I last looked, it won’t be on Waterstones because they turned it down when I asked them about stocking it back in 2013. I can’t promise that there any still there, but there might be some copies in the Trust Office by Gate 5, you can have one for nothing if they’re still there. If not, I’ve got two or three copies at home here and I can bring one down to the ground next week when I’ll probably be going into Cardiff.

Just looked, it is on Amazon, but they’re still asking £20 for it.
    Will drop you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    When I was writing TBL, I used to try to include a book review in most issues. There were an awful lot of them around at the time. I still have a lot of them, but I also gave away a fair few in competition prizes. One of my favourites - probably because I was so surprised how good it actually was - was Robbie Fowler's autobiography 'My life in football'. A great read, and not at all what you expect.
    Paul Lake’s ‘i’m not really here’ is worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Park Life View Post
    Paul Lake’s ‘i’m not really here’ is worth a read.
    Agreed.

Following Wales win this afternoon, some might enjoy ‘trailing clouds of glory’ - Welsh football’s forgotten heroes of 1976 by Nick Burrell - it is an excellent read

Has anybody read The Fortune Men? It's not a football book but it is about Cardiff and Tiger Bay. Here's the synopsis:

SHORTLISTED FOR THE BOOKER PRIZE 2021 'Chilling and utterly compelling, The Fortune Men shines an essential light on a much-neglected period of our national life' Sathnam Sanghera, author of Empireland Mahmood Mattan is a fixture in Cardiff's Tiger Bay, 1952, which bustles with Somali and West Indian sailors, Maltese businessmen and Jewish families.

Following Wales win this afternoon, some might enjoy ‘trailing clouds of glory’ - Welsh football’s forgotten heroes of 1976 by Nick Burrell - it is an excellent read
    I missed this post. Will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I missed this post. Will check it out.
    forgive my typo on the original post … the author’s surname is Burnell not Burrell

forgive my typo on the original post … the author’s surname is Burnell not Burrell
    Thanks!

If anyone hasn’t read The Boy on the Shed by Paul Ferris, then you’re in for a treat

This is my favourite football book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miracle-Cas...5152753X&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    If anyone hasn’t read The Boy on the Shed by Paul Ferris, then you’re in for a treat
    Just put it on my list. Thanks for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    This looks really good too. Christmas presents are sorted already.

I'm liking the CCMB book club.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    CCMB's sadly missed Caliburn (Clive Menadue) wrote, 'Foxglove Sun: Moments from Childhood Recalled.' Amazon still has one copy, apparently.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foxglove-Su...s=books&sr=1-1

StT.
    <><
    Cal was a lovely guy and sadly missed as you say. I sent him a cd of Football Manager some years ago, he really appreciated it. A wonderful contributor to CCMB with his posts and mostly his wit. A Real Gent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Cal was a lovely guy and sadly missed as you say. I sent him a cd of Football Manager some years ago, he really appreciated it. A wonderful contributor to CCMB with his posts and mostly his wit. A Real Gent.

Just read it. Very good read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Another football book I enjoyed recently was Another Bloody Saturday by Mat Guy - that's worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Just read it. Very good read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Another football book I enjoyed recently was Another Bloody Saturday by Mat Guy - that's worth a read.
    Glad you enjoyed it… I’ve not read Another Bloody Saturday but on the assumption that we have similar taste I’ve just ordered it

Credit to Hilts for highlighting this in another thread but I felt it should get a mention on the CCMB Book Club.

Why We Kneel How We Rise
    by Michael Holding

Possibly the best football book I have read .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Possibly the best football book I have read .
    I'm looking forward to reading it too.