+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCMB Book Club

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: CCMB Book Club

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I’m assuming most people will have read Fever Pitch, but even if one person hasn’t it’s worth mentioning in this thread
    The book is better than the film but I still like the film. Great book which I now want to read again!

I read From the Ashes - The Real Story of Cardiff City a few years ago. Does anyone know about this or has also read it? Anyone know more about the author Christian Saunders?

I'm not sure if the author, David Collins, is a poster on here but I read his book 'I was Born Under a Grange End Star' quite a few years ago, was a good little read, remember really enjoying it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    I'm not sure if the author, David Collins, is a poster on here but I read his book 'I was Born Under a Grange End Star' quite a few years ago, was a good little read, remember really enjoying it at the time.
    Pretty sure he does post on here - read Born Under a Grange End Star and enjoyed it.

Harry Pearson is my favourite sports writer. Incredibly funny and articulate.If anyone hasn't read 'The Far Corner' then i recommend it, fantastic read.

He does indeed post on here. Thanks for the good comments.
    Check this out also….
    https://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/pu...9780750997898/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Pretty sure he does post on here - read Born Under a Grange End Star and enjoyed it.
    Can I hijack this thread to plug my latest literary offering? (Book no 7). It’s Fortune and Fame, which tells the story of local entrepreneur and fellow City fan Jonathan Power. See separate thread started by TIT this morning. The book featured on Radio Wales yesterday and featured in the Western Mail 2022 Books of the Year list. Interest from USA vendors and South Africa too. Some proceeds will go to Velindre, for reasons explained in the book. You can visit the Twitter page and website to learn more about the back story.

Buy Fortune and Fame via Amazon or Waterstones on line

Visit @fortuneandfame0

Written by 2 lifelong ccfc fans! Many City references.

When I was writing TBL, I used to try to include a book review in most issues. There were an awful lot of them around at the time. I still have a lot of them, but I also gave away a fair few in competition prizes. One of my favourites - probably because I was so surprised how good it actually was - was Robbie Fowler's autobiography 'My life in football'. A great read, and not at all what you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    When I was writing TBL, I used to try to include a book review in most issues. There were an awful lot of them around at the time. I still have a lot of them, but I also gave away a fair few in competition prizes. One of my favourites - probably because I was so surprised how good it actually was - was Robbie Fowler's autobiography 'My life in football'. A great read, and not at all what you expect.
    Paul Lake’s ‘i’m not really here’ is worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Park Life View Post
    Paul Lake’s ‘i’m not really here’ is worth a read.
    Agreed.

Following Wales win this afternoon, some might enjoy ‘trailing clouds of glory’ - Welsh football’s forgotten heroes of 1976 by Nick Burrell - it is an excellent read

Following Wales win this afternoon, some might enjoy ‘trailing clouds of glory’ - Welsh football’s forgotten heroes of 1976 by Nick Burrell - it is an excellent read
    I missed this post. Will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I missed this post. Will check it out.
    forgive my typo on the original post … the author’s surname is Burnell not Burrell

forgive my typo on the original post … the author’s surname is Burnell not Burrell
    Thanks!

Has anybody read The Fortune Men? It's not a football book but it is about Cardiff and Tiger Bay. Here's the synopsis:

SHORTLISTED FOR THE BOOKER PRIZE 2021 'Chilling and utterly compelling, The Fortune Men shines an essential light on a much-neglected period of our national life' Sathnam Sanghera, author of Empireland Mahmood Mattan is a fixture in Cardiff's Tiger Bay, 1952, which bustles with Somali and West Indian sailors, Maltese businessmen and Jewish families.

If anyone hasn’t read The Boy on the Shed by Paul Ferris, then you’re in for a treat

If anyone hasn’t read The Boy on the Shed by Paul Ferris, then you’re in for a treat
    Just put it on my list. Thanks for that one.

Possibly the best football book I have read .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I'm looking forward to reading it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    What's so good about it Jimmy? Heard some good things but haven't got round to reading it yet

This is the next one I’m going to read

This is my favourite football book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miracle-Cas...5152753X&psc=1