+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCMB Book Club

Re: CCMB Book Club

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Possibly the best football book I have read .
    What's so good about it Jimmy? Heard some good things but haven't got round to reading it yet

A Tournament Frozen In Time- The story of the European Cup Winners Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    What's so good about it Jimmy? Heard some good things but haven't got round to reading it yet
    It’s “unputdownable” is the best way to describe it… full of heart touching moments - happy and sad and really well written.

The Boy on the Shed is a story of love and fate. At 16, Paul Ferris becomes Newcastle United's youngest-ever first-teamer. Like many a tricky winger from Northern Ireland, he is hailed as 'the new George Best'.

As a player and later a physio and member of the Magpies' managerial team, Paul's career acquaints him not only with Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish and Bobby Robson, Ruud Gullit, Paul Gascoigne and Alan Shearer but also with injury, insecurity and disappointment.

Yet this autobiography is more than a tale of the vagaries of sporting fortune. It begins during 'The Troubles' in a working-class Catholic family in the Protestant town of Lisburn, near Belfast. After a childhood scarred by his mother's illness and sectarian hatred, Paul meets the love of his life, his future wife Geraldine.

Talented and carefree on the pitch, shy and anxious off it, he earns a tilt at stardom. His first spell at Newcastle turns sour, as does his return as a physio, although obtaining a Masters degree shows him what he could achieve away from football.

When Paul qualifies as a barrister, a career in Law beckons. Instead, a craving to prove himself in the game draws him back to St James' Park as part of Shearer's management triumvirate - with unfortunate consequences.

Written with brutal candour, dark humour and consummate style, The Boy on the Shed is a riveting and moving account of a life less ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s “unputdownable” is the best way to describe it… full of heart touching moments - happy and sad and really well written.

The Boy on the Shed is a story of love and fate. At 16, Paul Ferris becomes Newcastle United's youngest-ever first-teamer. Like many a tricky winger from Northern Ireland, he is hailed as 'the new George Best'.

As a player and later a physio and member of the Magpies' managerial team, Paul's career acquaints him not only with Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish and Bobby Robson, Ruud Gullit, Paul Gascoigne and Alan Shearer but also with injury, insecurity and disappointment.

Yet this autobiography is more than a tale of the vagaries of sporting fortune. It begins during 'The Troubles' in a working-class Catholic family in the Protestant town of Lisburn, near Belfast. After a childhood scarred by his mother's illness and sectarian hatred, Paul meets the love of his life, his future wife Geraldine.

Talented and carefree on the pitch, shy and anxious off it, he earns a tilt at stardom. His first spell at Newcastle turns sour, as does his return as a physio, although obtaining a Masters degree shows him what he could achieve away from football.

When Paul qualifies as a barrister, a career in Law beckons. Instead, a craving to prove himself in the game draws him back to St James' Park as part of Shearer's management triumvirate - with unfortunate consequences.

Written with brutal candour, dark humour and consummate style, The Boy on the Shed is a riveting and moving account of a life less ordinary.
    Bloody hell - you should be a writer....

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Bloody hell - you should be a writer....
    Thanks. I’ve often felt like I missed my vocation

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    If anyone hasn’t read The Boy on the Shed by Paul Ferris, then you’re in for a treat
    This is the next one I’m going to read

Bumping for all the CCMB authors!

New book from one of our own.

Fantasy Premier League - Taking A Hit: The Key To Success by Paul Rogers

Attachment 4717

Amazon link here

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Bumping for all the CCMB authors!
    Thanks .. for those interested, there’s 4% off Park Life on Amazon at the moment (I’ve no idea why) ….
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Life-S...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Quote Originally Posted by Park Life View Post
    Thanks .. for those interested, there’s 4% off Park Life on Amazon at the moment (I’ve no idea why) ….
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Life-S...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    Read your book this morning (I started meaning to read a few pages, but didn’t put it down) and really enjoyed it, especially the description of the first Cup Final - never heard of Silflex (have I got the name right?) before, not sure I want to again.

Thanks for a great read

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Read your book this morning (I started meaning to read a few pages, but didn’t put it down) and really enjoyed it, especially the description of the first Cup Final - never heard of Silflex (have I got the name right?) before, not sure I want to again.

Thanks for a great read
    Thank you TOBW I’m chuffed you enjoyed reading it and thanks for taking the time out to say so, which is both kind and much appreciated

I'd forgotten about this one in my collection so read it again last week. It's well worth the read. Has anyone else read it?

Earnie: My Life at Cardiff City

51UDVO-ouEL.jpg

It's currently on sale Kindle Edition £3.49

(I'm not on any commission this is just for those interested).

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'd forgotten about this one in my collection so read it again last week. It's well worth the read. Has anyone else read it?

Earnie: My Life at Cardiff City

51UDVO-ouEL.jpg

It's currently on sale Kindle Edition £3.49

(I'm not on any commission this is just for those interested).
    Bet you are gutted not to be on commission for that one..

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Bet you are gutted not to be on commission for that one..
    Yeah, I'd not get much of a Porsche on the back of this one! Bless him. Still a good read though.

Might give Earnie's book a go.
    I read Fred Keenor - The Man Who Never Gave Up recently. Some interesting stuff in there about the man himself, the club and football in general from that time.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fred-Keenor...dp/B004MYFKN2/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Pretty sure he does post on here - read Born Under a Grange End Star and enjoyed it.
    Can I hijack this thread to plug my latest literary offering? (Book no 7). It’s Fortune and Fame, which tells the story of local entrepreneur and fellow City fan Jonathan Power. See separate thread started by TIT this morning. The book featured on Radio Wales yesterday and featured in the Western Mail 2022 Books of the Year list. Interest from USA vendors and South Africa too. Some proceeds will go to Velindre, for reasons explained in the book. You can visit the Twitter page and website to learn more about the back story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    I'll take a look. Good luck with it.

Where's the CCMB book club thread?

One to throw in the mixer.

Carlo Ancelotti - Quiet Leadership.

Re: Where's the CCMB book club thread?

Just reading this.

"It is important that the manager is a cultural fit for the club, as his job is to be an example for this culture, to maintain its standards and see that it is observed throughout the organisation"

After we announced a new manager yesterday.

I think Sabri is going to bring us together like a family, or at least attempt it.

I am liking this book.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Just reading this.

"It is important that the manager is a cultural fit for the club, as his job is to be an example for this culture, to maintain its standards and see that it is observed throughout the organisation"

After we announced a new manager yesterday.

I think Sabri is going to bring us together like a family, or at least attempt it.

I am liking this book.
    Hopefully not a case of divorced alcoholic parents, the older boy on crack, the younger boy in borstal and a daughter on the game. An incontinent dog and a cat with mange.

Or is that East Enders?

I'm reading this at the moment. " It tells the story of a single season following the fortunes of Italian football club Hellas Verona, and deals especially with Parks' relationship with the infamous hard core Brigate Gialloblù who make up Verona's travelling support. All the matches are detailed as well as many off-field dealings. Aside from detailing Hellas Verona's on-the-pitch exploits".
    So far it's very good
    Screenshot_20230128-100547.jpg

A cat with minge

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I'm reading this at the moment. " It tells the story of a single season following the fortunes of Italian football club Hellas Verona, and deals especially with Parks' relationship with the infamous hard core Brigate Gialloblù who make up Verona's travelling support. All the matches are detailed as well as many off-field dealings. Aside from detailing Hellas Verona's on-the-pitch exploits".
    So far it's very good
    Screenshot_20230128-100547.jpg
    I enjoyed that but felt he didn't deal with the underlying issue of fascism that drove those ultras. Brushed it off a little to easily but a very enjoyable read.

Currently reading this, some laugh out loud moments, good so far.

https://ddjohnston.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    One to throw in the mixer.

Carlo Ancelotti - Quiet Leadership.
    "With Berlusconi I learned very quickly that as he owns AC Milan my job is to please Berlusconi. The tradition at Milan is to play attractive football, which is different from juventus where most important thing is to win. So I built a team for Berlusconi to enjoy."

Goes on to say that as he owns the club he can't stop him coming in the changing rooms to "make his jokes" and even listen to the team talk if he likes..as he owns the club.

Can you imagine the uproar among our fans if tan was in the changing room reeling off one liners pulling his belt up as Sabri gave the team talk? Yet one of the best and most successful managers understands and brushes it off!!!