+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 home games without a clean sheet

9 home games without a clean sheet

Over the end of last season and the start of this, 9 successive sides have breached the Cardiff City home defence. The last time we saw this was 11 successive games in 2016, with the Paul Trollope era in the middle of it. There are only 16 occasions in our history where we've conceded in 9 or more successive games. Prior to that we conceded in 10 successive home games in the first part of the 2001/02 season.

Our worst run was 17 games without a home clean sheet in 1936/37.

Re: 9 home games without a clean sheet

Aren’t Bournemouth and West Brom the next two sides to come here? Given the way we’re defending so far this season, I think there’s plenty of scope to seriously challenge for a club record in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Aren’t Bournemouth and West Brom the next two sides to come here? Given the way we’re defending so far this season, I think there’s plenty of scope to seriously challenge for a club record in the next few weeks.
    Then Reading, Boro, QPR, Huddersfield and Hull. If Sutton could manage a couple, every side will fancy their chances!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Cut some slack, Our two main central defenders have decided to offset poor defending with goals scored. Mick is ahead of the game.

I think we should kidnap MM , burn down the stadium and draw up plans for a new Cardiff City

Things really are at the end here

We are entering the gates of hell

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think we should kidnap MM , burn down the stadium and draw up plans for a new Cardiff City

...jump you ****er jump

Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Idiot.
    Well with respect this early season bashing of the team and the management is embarrassing

Have a look at Nottingham Forest

Well with respect this early season bashing of the team and the management is embarrassing

Have a look at Nottingham Forest
    Why do we have to look at the worst placed club in the league when discussing City?

We're 9th in the league having beaten the teams in 17th at home and 22nd away.
    We have drawn with 14th placed Barnsley at home, 20th placed Peterborough away (and could very easily have lost this one). We've been beaten by a Bristol City team that were 17th at kick off.

The style of play has been worrying to many and we haven't beaten anybody but 22nd placed Blackpool convincingly.
    I think people are right to be concerned. Still at least we're not bottom...

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Why do we have to look at the worst placed club in the league when discussing City?

We're 9th in the league having beaten the teams in 17th at home and 22nd away.
    We have drawn with 14th placed Barnsley at home, 20th placed Peterborough away (and could very easily have lost this one). We've been beaten by a Bristol City team that were 17th at kick off.

The style of play has been worrying to many and we haven't beaten anybody but 22nd placed Blackpool convincingly.
    I think people are right to be concerned. Still at least we're not bottom...
    Cobblers, we have points on the board

People need to roll up a scooby at stop having the football equivalent of a nervous breakdown

Every bloody season the knives come out

It's like death by a 1000 cuts

People need to roll up a scooby at stop having the football equivalent of a nervous breakdown

We'll see how upbeat people are when we come up against the better teams in this league.

See what answer the happy clappers and everything is rosy in the garden brigade have then.

We'll see how upbeat people are when we come up against the better teams in this league.

See what answer the happy clappers and everything is rosy in the garden brigade have then.
    This is football . There is no divine right to success.

I think it's always best to take a rational approach to what's going on

This side is capable of promotion , most probably through the play offs

After ten games we can make sensible projections

We know it isn't pretty but it is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ...jump you ****er jump
    Into this f**king blanket, and you will be alright.

So looking at something statistically is the "knives coming out"?

Crikey.

This is football . There is no divine right to success.

I think it's always best to take a rational approach to what's going on

This side is capable of promotion , most probably through the play offs

After ten games we can make sensible projections

We know it isn't pretty but it is what it is
    This side is currently 3 places outside the play offs having played 5 teams with an average placing of 17th and you think we can get promotion.

We shall see. I think many of the more sensible posters can see if we carry on in this vein then we will not be worrying the promotion spots, play offs or otherwise. Something needs to change.

But then we're not ***insert bottom club at the time*** so we should be grateful and be happy for everything the team and management does.

This side is currently 3 places outside the play offs having played 5 teams with an average placing of 17th and you think we can get promotion.

We shall see. I think many of the more sensible posters can see if we carry on in this vein then we will not be worrying the promotion spots, play offs or otherwise. Something needs to change.

But then we're not ***insert bottom club at the time*** so we should be grateful and be happy for everything the team and management does.
    I don't think that challenging for promotion is the biggest issue for City fans at the moment. I think most of us accept we're in a bit of a transition period where we're trying to be as good as we can given our circumstances.

The problem is that this transition period isn't looking forward at all. It's still playing archaic football in the hope it might give us a playoff place.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Over the end of last season and the start of this, 9 successive sides have breached the Cardiff City home defence. The last time we saw this was 11 successive games in 2016, with the Paul Trollope era in the middle of it. There are only 16 occasions in our history where we've conceded in 9 or more successive games. Prior to that we conceded in 10 successive home games in the first part of the 2001/02 season.

Our worst run was 17 games without a home clean sheet in 1936/37.
    Some film of that 1936 Cardiff side https://youtu.be/7huzG9qe1Ng

It's slightly premature to talk about where teams are placed in the table when so few games have been played and the transfer window hasn't yet closed.

Or, at least, if you've made your mind up already then it's a hell of a long season left for you.

"The problem is that this transition period isn't looking forward at all." Are we still trying to make that argument? It might not be looking forward enough or as quickly as we'd like but blatantly more forward looking than under Slade or Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It's slightly premature to talk about where teams are placed in the table when so few games have been played and the transfer window hasn't yet closed.

Or, at least, if you've made your mind up already then it's a hell of a long season left for you.

"The problem is that this transition period isn't looking forward at all." Are we still trying to make that argument? It might not be looking forward enough or as quickly as we'd like but blatantly more forward looking than under Slade or Warnock.
    More because we have to than by choice! It's where we are.

Crikey.
    Yep as you always look at the negative statistics

Here is a positive one for you

We have 8 points and are 9th

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Some film of that 1936 Cardiff side https://youtu.be/7huzG9qe1Ng
    It's not surprising they conceded so many in those roll neck chunky knit jumpers.

A drop of rain and they would have been 5 stone heavier.

The only thing that needs to change is we need to win a couple of games

Then the bleating will stop

The only thing that needs to change is we need to win a couple of games

Then the bleating will stop
    And say we don't win a couple of games and slide down the league?

Will people admit they were even a small bit wrong?
    I doubt it.

"At least we're not bottom".

Feedback

Crikey.
    a statistician will tell you if you sleep with your feet in a fridge and head in an oven on average you'll feel comfortable.

Sludge, twenty five years ago, I used to say that I wouldn't see City playing in the second tier again in my lifetime. Not for the first time, I was hopelessly wrong and we're now approaching twenty years of continuous existence in the top two divisions. Things have clearly moved on from when I was so pessimistic, but you continuously come over as not having done so.

For the second half of our continuous Championship and above existence, we've had a billionaire owner. Just think about that, when it was first revealed that Vincent Tan would be taking over, we were a top half Championship side which had players that, on their day, were among the most talented individuals in the division - we had a team which, certainly at home, went out fearing no one in the league.

The addition of a billionaire owner was going to be the cherry on the cake, there would be no stopping us now. Nearly a decade later, the billionaire owner has provided enough funding, and more, to turn us into an established Premier League side like, say, Palace, yet what are we? A team aiming to finish in a Play Off place, but less likely to do so than the one that was here before Vincent Tan arrived and, instead of flair and talent that made us a great side to watch on form, we have workhorses, giants and a pretty serious lack of pace.

People aren't down on the club because of its results this season. I believe they are fast reaching the stage, if they aren't there already, where they have had enough of a club like us, that has had so many advantages we couldn't have dreamed of fifteen years ago, playing a brand of underdog football which lets the opposition have the ball (I often think we want them to have it) and rely on a long ball approach which is aimed at gaining set pieces from which we can send our enormous centrebacks forward.

We play in a manner that was most effective in the decade before I was thinking we wouldn't reach the Championship again and, damningly, our previous manager gave up on his attempt to get us to play a more possession based game because he figured our under achieving squad was better suited to going "back to basics". That is the situation that all of those years of underdog football where we play in a way that sends a signal which says we can't beat you in a proper game of football has got us - we play dull, atritional football which, judging by league position is becoming less effective with every passing season.

Ironically, I thought the ball spent less time in the air than normal on Saturday and we passed it about quite well at times. Although I'm far from convinced of this yet, I think Mick McCarthy might be trying to get us to play in a more modern way, but, to counter that, we were dreadful for about 80 per cent of the Peterborough and Millwall matches despite ending up with four points.

As mentioned earlier, I can't see that people are unhappy with our results so far this season, but the fact that they are being achieved by us playing in the way that we do is behind the criticism. I'm not moaning anywhere near as much as I could do because, despite us finally looking to bring through Academy players into the side, I've become resigned to the situation - our Board occasionally talks about the need for more entertaining football, but, in general, our signings and managerial appointments suggest something completely different.