+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Joe Ralls

Re: Joe Ralls

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Can someone explain what they want Joe Ralls to be? Sorry to get all DML on the subject, but what exactly are we expecting from him?
    I'll begin.

I would like him to pass the ball incisively from time to time, to a player on our team, not sideways 5 yards but forwards. I'd like him to do some extra training on sprinting practice, so that he doesn't look so one-paced. I'd also like it if he could improve his set-piece delivery too.

Now, you may or may not agree with what I've said, however, that's what 'I' would want.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Threads do go off topic, it doesn't really matter a great deal nothing worth getting ones knickers in a twist over obviously, but there's a difference between threads veering off topic and someone just appearing on a thread and posting about something completely different, since you asked
    Well, let’s have a bit of accuracy here if you insist on making this an issue. First, my first contribution to this thread was the tenth message in it, not the third (someone had already posted about Ole in it) and it said “thought the midfield wasn’t the problem today - why do people keep on saying we have a good defence?”. Is that really posting “something completely different”?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I wish I had a pound for every thread I’ve started that has gone off topic within three posts - it happens, who cares?

We conceded a goal yesterday where the scorer was allowed to miscontrol the ball pretty badly and still go on to put the ball in the net without a challenge on him. That’s shocking at this level and I thought it had more to do with our defeat than the performance from a midfielder who, to me, played a bit better than he has done in a lot of games over the past year or so.
    I haven't watched any video footage of the game so this is now from eye-witness testimony (which is deeply flawed) bit I thought I saw Phillips go for the ball then hesitate, step back, and all I saw after that was the ball in the net. Was Phillips to blame? I'm not accusing Phillips, I haven't watched any replays.

Going back to Ralls, another thing people have mentioned which I think is a valid point is that he doesn't look up for a pass often enough anymore. It is something I noticed yesterday. In recent years, the only midfielder who's done this properly, to my liking, has been Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I haven't watched any video footage of the game so this is now from eye-witness testimony (which is deeply flawed) bit I thought I saw Phillips go for the ball then hesitate, step back, and all I saw after that was the ball in the net. Was Phillips to blame? I'm not accusing Phillips, I haven't watched any replays.

Going back to Ralls, another thing people have mentioned which I think is a valid point is that he doesn't look up for a pass often enough anymore. It is something I noticed yesterday. In recent years, the only midfielder who's done this properly, to my liking, has been Tomlin.
    That’s what I saw Phillips do as well and Flint never got close enough to Weizmann to affect the situation, seems to me both of them were at fault.

Well, let’s have a bit of accuracy here if you insist on making this an issue. First, my first contribution to this thread was the tenth message in it, not the third (someone had already posted about Ole in it) and it said “thought the midfield wasn’t the problem today - why do people keep on saying we have a good defence?”. Is that really posting “something completely different”?
    I just remember you posting about the defence. I'm guessing the 3 posts in was an exaggeration.

That’s what I saw Phillips do as well and Flint never got close enough to Weizmann to affect the situation, seems to me both of them were at fault.
    From what I saw, Phillips saw the ball coming, thought about it, and decided it was too far out to make a move. I don't know what Flint was doing, but it wasn't enough. He had a bit of a 'mare yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

Flint hesitates first.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I'll begin.

I would like him to pass the ball incisively from time to time, to a player on our team, not sideways 5 yards but forwards. I'd like him to do some extra training on sprinting practice, so that he doesn't look so one-paced. I'd also like it if he could improve his set-piece delivery too.

Now, you may or may not agree with what I've said, however, that's what 'I' would want.
    Good points. I think he's given away plenty of free-kicks but I'm struggling to think of him or any other of our midfielders who can burst forward and earn a free-kick in a dangerous area since (I'm sorry I've got to mention him again), Tomlin and last season, Harry Wilson.

OK, thanks, I was expecting Phillips to throw himself at the ball but it just didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Flint hesitates first.
    OK. Definitely a fustercluck then. Which is what it looked like from where I was sat but I just couldn't see the ball.

I didn't think central midfield was the issue yesterday. it was either end of the pitch where we fell short.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I didn't think central midfield was the issue yesterday. it was either end of the pitch where we fell short.
    Movement in the midfield offers options in attack

Undoubtedly Joe has not developed over the last few seasons and may well have peaked, but lets be honest Pirlo would struggle to find a pass when the only player in front of you is a heavily marked Keiffer ? Everything Mick does is about defensive formation, Giles drops deep, the wing backs are not attacking wingbacks, neither will go beyond Keiffer.

Even in the Warnock year the lob over the right backs head allowing a speedster to chase meant the defenders had to respect our attack, now they just push up to the halfway line as they are against Keiffer and Bacuna meaning there is nowt on. Its a painful situation

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Undoubtedly Joe has not developed over the last few seasons and may well have peaked, but lets be honest Pirlo would struggle to find a pass when the only player in front of you is a heavily marked Keiffer ? Everything Mick does is about defensive formation, Giles drops deep, the wing backs are not attacking wingbacks, neither will go beyond Keiffer.

Even in the Warnock year the lob over the right backs head allowing a speedster to chase meant the defenders had to respect our attack, now they just push up to the halfway line as they are against Keiffer and Bacuna meaning there is nowt on. Its a painful situation
    He cant even play simple 10 yard passes anymore. If he was losing the ball because he was holding onto it for for too long as there was no movement then I would have some sympathy, but I watched him with frustration on Saturday just get the ball out of his feet as quick as he can, not look up and just help it forward. Everything is 100mph with him. The only one who will put his foot on the ball is Pack, and Colwill when he come on.

Thought the midfield wasn’t the problem today - why do people keep on saying we have a good defence?
    Who said on this thread, before you posted this post, that we had a good defence?

In general

It's felt we have a physical, solid defence

Not all the time but in general

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Who said on this thread, before you posted this post, that we had a good defence?
    What are you on about? Do you want me to PM you first with what I plan to say to make sure you approve of it?

Gunnarson as good as he was used to hoof the ball when he had time to play it

Joe had more potential in his youth and ended up going the same way.

Its the way we play that takes it out of them, Joe was never a hoof it player when he came but now he can't wait to pass the ball on, doesn't even look to control it or look at a possible move he just hacks at the ball far too often.