+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvey Elliott - Playing again.

Harvey Elliott - Playing again.

Liverpool, a big club putting faith in a youngster in a big game playing in centre midfield. Imagine seeing that at Cardiff.

Re: Harvey Elliott - Playing again.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Liverpool, a big club putting faith in a youngster in a big game playing in centre midfield. Imagine seeing that at Cardiff.
    If Sam Bowen had made 41 starts for Blackburn last season I think he might get a start for us in a big game?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    If Sam Bowen had made 41 starts for Blackburn last season I think he might get a start for us in a big game?
    Not sure.

Tom Sang is 22 and trusted to play as a wing back, why can't we give him a go in the middle?

Not sure.

Tom Sang is 22 and trusted to play as a wing back, why can't we give him a go in the middle?
    Who? Sam Bowen? If so I agree with you.

I expect us to blow hot and cold this season (some stellar performances with Moore, Giles, Murphy on fire; some frustrating flat and disjointed performances when we cough up points) but I do want to see youth players breaking in and keeping their places - and accept they will make mistakes and have to acclimatise.

Sang in midfield also looks a good option, although only if Ng gets back to the levels he hit last season (pre Covid) as RWB.

Who? Sam Bowen? If so I agree with you.

I expect us to blow hot and cold this season (some stellar performances with Moore, Giles, Murphy on fire; some frustrating flat and disjointed performances when we cough up points) but I do want to see youth players breaking in and keeping their places - and accept they will make mistakes and have to acclimatise.

Sang in midfield also looks a good option, although only if Ng gets back to the levels he hit last season (pre Covid) as RWB.
    I'm not sure why you're asking who, when I've said Tom Sang already
    I'd like to eventually see Bowen in midfield as well.

I thought you meant that if MM trusts Sang to play wing back, why not trust Bowen to play centre mid.

But I think we're on the same page with this.

Problem with that is that would require Mick to completely change the style of football and that is never going to happen.

I thought you meant that if MM trusts Sang to play wing back, why not trust Bowen to play centre mid.

But I think we're on the same page with this.
    Ah I see what you mean, probably the way I typed it, I meant he trusts sang to play at the back so why not trust him in the middle.
    We need more. Composure in the middle.of the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Problem with that is that would require Mick to completely change the style of football and that is never going to happen.
    No it wouldn't.

Good to see youngsters being given the chance to be in starting 11 at last . Just wish we played a bit more football

I hope that today was the end of Bacuna in attacking midfield and Colwill can get a run of games. He wasn't afraid to take players on and actually beat them with skill, something not many of our players fancy doing

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I hope that today was the end of Bacuna in attacking midfield and Colwill can get a run of games. He wasn't afraid to take players on and actually beat them with skill, something not many of our players fancy doing
    You'd hope so. Colwill and Giles behind Moore sounds decent enough on paper.

I think he uses Bacuna there though as an extra man to drop into midfield, basically defensive minded negative approach.

Sam Bowen would give us more than ****ing Bacuna that’s for sure,

I think he uses Bacuna there though as an extra man to drop into midfield, basically defensive minded negative approach.
    Shit approach

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Might be just me but whilst I usually would applaud him at the time i thought what the **** are you doing trying to go 1v1 in an area of the pitch where if he lost the ball it would have been easy for Bristol to break

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Shit approach
    Its criminal mate

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Might be just me but whilst I usually would applaud him at the time i thought what the **** are you doing trying to go 1v1 in an area of the pitch where if he lost the ball it would have been easy for Bristol to break
    But wasn’t that what happened for their second goal when Bacuna lost the ball on the edge of our box ?

Not sure.

On the money mate! Sang, should be in the midfield.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sam Bowen would give us more than ****ing Bacuna that’s for sure,

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    On the money mate! Sang, should be in the midfield.
    Spedger
    Absolutely. I can't see it any time soon mind, I think MM is set in his ways and we will see more of what we have had rather than trying to change things along the way. We'll see the kids, more through a necessity than choice.

The flaw in that plan by Mick using bacuna as an option in midfield is that bacuna can't tackle or pass and doesn't make any effort to run around at all - two attempts he had to clear the ball from the edge of the 18 yard box before they scored the winner on Saturday and he tried stupid little flicks instead of putting his laces through - he should never be near the starting line up

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    The flaw in that plan by Mick using bacuna as an option in midfield is that bacuna can't tackle or pass and doesn't make any effort to run around at all - two attempts he had to clear the ball from the edge of the 18 yard box before they scored the winner on Saturday and he tried stupid little flicks instead of putting his laces through - he should never be near the starting line up
    Its OK, I saw someone online suggesting we should never start Bacuna, good start to their post I thought, then they suggested playing Vaulks instead. Imagine swapping one non AM only to play another non AM there... So it's jot just the manager.

I agree. I don't want him starting and I think it's criminal to lose an attacking threat to fit him in, he can't even make clever runs or be anywhere near the right area when the ball gets cut back... To an area he SHOULD be in.. But Mick picks him for exactly that apparently

So many of our problems are about the team, and makeup of the squad which we don't have budget to change quickly, rather than individuals and Harvey Elliot is getting his chance because i) he's incredibly talented and ii) the way he fits into Liverpool's XI.

Bacuna can clearly tackle and pass - on basis of him being a Premier League/Championship player for 99% of his career - but his strength is being in a midfield 3 which we don't play for two obvious reasons:

i) we don't have two wingers who can be trusted.
    ii) we're somewhat protecting Bagan as a player we believe in long term rather than throwing him to the wolves

You might ask why he's playing at all and it's probably again because of the squad Mick's been left with by Warnock:

i) Pack is slow across the ground and needs energy around him to help hide this
    ii) Ralls and Vaulks as a two has it's own flaws
    iii) Bacuna not trusted in a midfield two

And of course the midfield also needs Bacuna's energy because three CB's behind him aren't comfortable stepping out and playing the ball. It's a three uncomfortable in open play.

Except for two or three moments per match, Bacuna in that role is not working well at all at the moment but 99% of our issues are still how individuals fit next to each other based on the squad Warnock left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    So many of our problems are about the team, and makeup of the squad which we don't have budget to change quickly, rather than individuals and Harvey Elliot is getting his chance because i) he's incredibly talented and ii) the way he fits into Liverpool's XI.

Bacuna can clearly tackle and pass - on basis of him being a Premier League/Championship player for 99% of his career - but his strength is being in a midfield 3 which we don't play for two obvious reasons:

i) we don't have two wingers who can be trusted.
    ii) we're somewhat protecting Bagan as a player we believe in long term rather than throwing him to the wolves

You might ask why he's playing at all and it's probably again because of the squad Mick's been left with by Warnock:

i) Pack is slow across the ground and needs energy around him to help hide this
    ii) Ralls and Vaulks as a two has it's own flaws
    iii) Bacuna not trusted in a midfield two

And of course the midfield also needs Bacuna's energy because three CB's behind him aren't comfortable stepping out and playing the ball. It's a three uncomfortable in open play.

Except for two or three moments per match, Bacuna in that role is not working well at all at the moment but 99% of our issues are still how individuals fit next to each other based on the squad Warnock left behind.
    Original point was that he is being trusted in CM which is not usually an area you see youngsters thrown into, so why can't we see it at Cardiff.

Obviously he's a great talent, but, again, he is being trusted there ahead of more senior pros, and again, incase you didn't get the point of the thread, that's something we don't do.

If he was at Cardiff then I'm sure he would be playing.
    Another pointless post from you.