+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff (away)

Cardiff (away)

Thought I would come on here tonight to give a view of today's game, but mainly Cardiff (given nobody else on here but me cares about Bristol City).

I obviously rarely see Cardiff so my views may be a little different to what you regularly see. I didnt watch our horror show at Ashton Gate last season so this was first time I have seen Cardiff under McCarthy, last time was Warnock's last game.

Just first off, I saw a few people say about the crowd. I enjoyed today, even if it would have ended 1-1. I had a good day, I was right by the police line and exchanged the sort of stuff with the Welsh mob the other side of the line which we had all missed. It felt less than previous visits definitely, particularly in the stand opposite but its hardly like Reading away where you could fit half an army in their empty seats.

I thought the atmosphere from us was good. I thought Cardiff fans were flat for much of the first half but the period of about 5-10 mins when you scored it was quite intimidating.

Fortunately that didn't continue, if we had 60-70 mins of that noise, we'd have been right against it I reckon.

So I came to Cardiff knowing how McCarthy sides set up from his days at Ipswich and it was as I expected.
    Balls in the air, lot of aerial duels and head tennis, crosses into the box and high pressure.
    All I would say is that if a relative novice like me knows that is what is coming, a bloke whose been around the block as many times as Pearson knows it too.
    Interesting he said tonight "We knew what to expect, so I asked the players to sit a little bit deeper than usual and then we had the back 3 with the holding midfielder sat in front. We knew we needed to be ready for balls in the air..."

But it wasn't kick and rush stuff from Cardiff.
    I thought they knocked it about well at times, the only thing I'd say to it is that it was sporadic.

I liked Aden Flint at City (I am not a massive fan now) but his strengths are heading in both boxes, his weakness is he puts no direction on his headers and he isn't a man to play football to feet.
    I saw that again today - same with Morrison.

On Morrison, he is the sort of player I love to have in my team and hate to have not in my team. He's such a dirty ****, he got away with so much pushing and niggling on Martin today. But he's an absolute master of it, he knows how to do it and I think some of our guys could learn a thing or two.

I noted the young lad Giles. I have never heard of him before. He had some very good touches and I would say he had the most composure of all the Cardiff players on the ball. He was happy to hold it and give it when the time was right.
    He did though take several corners which didn't clear the first man, but not knowing him I don't know if that was just an off day or he still needs to work on that.

Moore is a threat but I think he could be more of a threat than he is because of the way you set up.
    Several times in the first half (where I could see him best) he was outnumbers 3 sometimes 4 to 1. A ball had been put forward to him to either chase or hold up but he had little support - he seemed a bit frustrated.
    But he is clearly dangerous, I was nervous any time he had it.

So i would say overall, its a classic McCarthy team Cardiff right now. They arent easy to play against, they aren't flash, they do have some good quality players who know what their job is.
    They will win more than they lose - as they have done right now.

On another day, the header would have gone in, the cleared off the line would have gone in and Cardiff may have won it.
    Cardiff's goal was just a ****ing shambles btw so I won't dwell on that.

Last comment is for Pack, I remembered the things I like and the things I hate. He played some super balls and he was always on hand to offer for it.
    But he still has a horrific tendency to go all Ray Wilkins and take the sideways or back option when a more aggressive option is on.
    He also appeared to want to be a prick to us when he came to get the throw ins but whatever :)

Should we have won? Stats would suggest probably not.
    I do think it was less of a daylight robbery than last year though and Andi Weimann's 2nd strike was superbly hit!

Onwards to our next encounter which we will no doubt lose at Ashton Gate unless trend changes.

Re: Cardiff (away)

A reasonable summary.

On another day we could have won but for all our crosses and pressure at times we didn't really create proper clear cut chances like the two you took, for that alone I can't complain about the result.

I'm just glad Weimann didn't go full Scott Murray and stopped at the ear cupping.

Intresting perspective

Reasonable summary.

We probably should have won. Moore is still short of his best.

Looked a mid table lower mid table battle.

Think we will see both sides between 10th and 16th come the end of season with us likely to be the higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We probably should have won.
    Probably not. City didn’t do anything like enough to win it. The lack of creativity and, after conceding the second, the lack of urgency was alarming. I was expecting Bristol’s penalty area to be under siege in the last ten minutes or so, but it didn’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Thought I would come on here tonight to give a view of today's game, but mainly Cardiff (given nobody else on here but me cares about Bristol City).

I obviously rarely see Cardiff so my views may be a little different to what you regularly see. I didnt watch our horror show at Ashton Gate last season so this was first time I have seen Cardiff under McCarthy, last time was Warnock's last game.

Just first off, I saw a few people say about the crowd. I enjoyed today, even if it would have ended 1-1. I had a good day, I was right by the police line and exchanged the sort of stuff with the Welsh mob the other side of the line which we had all missed. It felt less than previous visits definitely, particularly in the stand opposite but its hardly like Reading away where you could fit half an army in their empty seats.

I thought the atmosphere from us was good. I thought Cardiff fans were flat for much of the first half but the period of about 5-10 mins when you scored it was quite intimidating.

Fortunately that didn't continue, if we had 60-70 mins of that noise, we'd have been right against it I reckon.

So I came to Cardiff knowing how McCarthy sides set up from his days at Ipswich and it was as I expected.
    Balls in the air, lot of aerial duels and head tennis, crosses into the box and high pressure.
    All I would say is that if a relative novice like me knows that is what is coming, a bloke whose been around the block as many times as Pearson knows it too.
    Interesting he said tonight "We knew what to expect, so I asked the players to sit a little bit deeper than usual and then we had the back 3 with the holding midfielder sat in front. We knew we needed to be ready for balls in the air..."

But it wasn't kick and rush stuff from Cardiff.
    I thought they knocked it about well at times, the only thing I'd say to it is that it was sporadic.

I liked Aden Flint at City (I am not a massive fan now) but his strengths are heading in both boxes, his weakness is he puts no direction on his headers and he isn't a man to play football to feet.
    I saw that again today - same with Morrison.

On Morrison, he is the sort of player I love to have in my team and hate to have not in my team. He's such a dirty ****, he got away with so much pushing and niggling on Martin today. But he's an absolute master of it, he knows how to do it and I think some of our guys could learn a thing or two.

I noted the young lad Giles. I have never heard of him before. He had some very good touches and I would say he had the most composure of all the Cardiff players on the ball. He was happy to hold it and give it when the time was right.
    He did though take several corners which didn't clear the first man, but not knowing him I don't know if that was just an off day or he still needs to work on that.

Moore is a threat but I think he could be more of a threat than he is because of the way you set up.
    Several times in the first half (where I could see him best) he was outnumbers 3 sometimes 4 to 1. A ball had been put forward to him to either chase or hold up but he had little support - he seemed a bit frustrated.
    But he is clearly dangerous, I was nervous any time he had it.

So i would say overall, its a classic McCarthy team Cardiff right now. They arent easy to play against, they aren't flash, they do have some good quality players who know what their job is.
    They will win more than they lose - as they have done right now.

On another day, the header would have gone in, the cleared off the line would have gone in and Cardiff may have won it.
    Cardiff's goal was just a ****ing shambles btw so I won't dwell on that.

Last comment is for Pack, I remembered the things I like and the things I hate. He played some super balls and he was always on hand to offer for it.
    But he still has a horrific tendency to go all Ray Wilkins and take the sideways or back option when a more aggressive option is on.
    He also appeared to want to be a prick to us when he came to get the throw ins but whatever :)

Should we have won? Stats would suggest probably not.
    I do think it was less of a daylight robbery than last year though and Andi Weimann's 2nd strike was superbly hit!

Onwards to our next encounter which we will no doubt lose at Ashton Gate unless trend changes.
    a true summary so well done,have you been replaced with a doppleganner.

A very good summary! Don’t really disagree with any of that.

It's nice to see someone maturing over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    It's nice to see someone maturing over the years
    I'd have him down as a Blossom Hill 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Probably not. City didn’t do anything like enough to win it. The lack of creativity and, after conceding the second, the lack of urgency was alarming. I was expecting Bristol’s penalty area to be under siege in the last ten minutes or so, but it didn’t happen.
    This was something that struck me today and a lot of people around me. In the second half, I watched Moore a lot as he was closer and the same thing struck me as did when he came on against Brighton - he just doesn't look happy. His body language seems off. But the other thing that strung me was that players don't seem to be communicating (I really made an effort to look and listen for this today) and was struck by how non-vocal they are. Flint seems to be the most vocal player.

I know all this sounds negative but I and everyone around me couldn't be more vocal and encouraging to the players during the game. I'll keep going to the final whistle but on here it's different - I've paid my money, done my bit, come home tired and this is a great place to discuss, reflect and I really enjoy getting all perspectives.

But yes, the lack of urgency (someone else used the word passion) resonated with me too. That's something I haven't seen for quite a while.

[QUOTE=Citizen's Nephew;5220008]This was something that struck me today and a lot of people around me. In the second half, I watched Moore a lot as he was closer and the same thing struck me as did when he came on against Brighton - he just doesn't look happy. His body language seems off. But the other thing that strung me was that players don't seem to be communicating (I really made an effort to look and listen for this today) and was struck by how non-vocal they are. Flint seems to be the most vocal player.

Maybe Moore is dissatisfied with the average service he is getting from our midfield, after playing with better players in the Euros?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Our substitutions were completely ineffective. We had two strikers on the pitch, but we couldn't get balls into the box with Bagan and Colwill playing down the left wing and Nelson and Giles playing down the right wing. We should have put Giles on the left, Colwill on the right, and kept Sang on the pitch instead of Nelson.

[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;5220037]
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    This was something that struck me today and a lot of people around me. In the second half, I watched Moore a lot as he was closer and the same thing struck me as did when he came on against Brighton - he just doesn't look happy. His body language seems off. But the other thing that strung me was that players don't seem to be communicating (I really made an effort to look and listen for this today) and was struck by how non-vocal they are. Flint seems to be the most vocal player.

Maybe Moore is dissatisfied with the average service he is getting from our midfield, after playing with better players in the Euros?
    I hadn't thought of it like that and it's a really good point. That could be the case for sure.
    edit: not talking to myself again this was a reply to Mr Soul '68.

2 shit sides, poor football that isn't going to change.
    Mccarthy's hoofball isn't the answer.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the last 5 Bristol/Cardiff games have ended in away wins.

There’s a similarity about both teams which causes this.
    Our Achilles heel at home is that when a team sits back, we sort of huff and puff and aren’t comfortable on the front foot.
    Then we commit more and more men to break the deadlock and boom 0-1.

Cardiff reminded me a bit of that yesterday.
    They had the tried and tested tactic of high balls from long throws, crosses in etc - when it became clear Kalas, Patterson and Baker (all 6 footers themselves) were dropping back and heading them out, Cardiff didn’t change it.
    They just seemed to try it more.

It was crying out for a head screwed on Tomlin or even someone like a Mendez-Laing from Cardiff days of past.
    I can’t help but think the Cardiff City of Dave Jones would have beaten us about 3-0 yesterday.

So given the above I fully expect either a draw or away win in Bristol.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the last 5 Bristol/Cardiff games have ended in away wins.

Our Achilles heel at home is that when a team sits back, we sort of huff and puff and aren’t comfortable on the front foot.

They had the tried and tested tactic of high balls from long throws, crosses in etc - when it became clear Kalas, Patterson and Baker (all 6 footers themselves) were dropping back and heading them out, Cardiff didn’t change it.

It was crying out for a head screwed on Tomlin or even someone like a Mendez-Laing from Cardiff days of past.
    I can’t help but think the Cardiff City of Dave Jones would have beaten us about 3-0 yesterday.

Actually, on the topic of long throws - I thought your man (Kalas?) delivered his throws better than our attempts.

Yes he has worked on that a lot.

I’m surprised he’s still here to be honest, he played really well for the Czech Republic at the Euros and I thought marked Kane out of the game v England.

A fair summary above. I think Cardiff should have won it though. Bentley made some excellent saves and there was one cleared off the line. Although Cardiff didn't;t take their chances, surprisingly we were poor at set pieces, as Morrison, Flint and Moore seemed to win nothing at all. We were also poor defensively.

I watched two average teams who won't be troubling the Play Off places and the end of the season. Bristol City have a gem in Weimann who was the best player on the pitch and his finish for the winner was excellent, but we all know that. Although , unlike some, I thought it was an very entertaining game. Good away following from Bristol too. Here's to the next Severn side derby.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    A fair summary above. I think Cardiff should have won it though. Bentley made some excellent saves and there was one cleared off the line. Although Cardiff didn't;t take their chances, surprisingly we were poor at set pieces, as Morrison, Flint and Moore seemed to win nothing at all. We were also poor defensively.

I watched two average teams who won't be troubling the Play Off places and the end of the season. Bristol City have a gem in Weimann who was the best player on the pitch and his finish for the winner was excellent, but we all know that. Although , unlike some, I thought it was an very entertaining game. Good away following from Bristol too. Here's to the next Severn side derby.
    Actually, I thought their young French player Massengo, looked the best player on the pitch.

From your earlier post, Giles is sadly not one that’s come through the ranks. On loan from Wolves.

We’re a bit easier to watch than we were under Warnock… (many on here share your views on him), but it’s still pretty awful stuff to watch

I think you’re right about Dave Jones too

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Actually, I thought their young French player Massengo, looked the best player on the pitch.
    He had a much better game yesterday than he did against the jacks. He quite impressed me yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    He’s taken a good season and a half to get sorted.
    When he arrived he was way too light weight and was clearly used to the pace of France.

Got caught with the ball so many times in his first season which causes either a near miss or a goal.

He’s much bigger and stronger now. Hardly recognizable from when he arrived.
    Hope he kicks on now. The French keep picking him for the U20 team so it’s all there.

Also think playing under a manager with the experience of Pearson will help him too.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    From your earlier post, Giles is sadly not one that’s come through the ranks. On loan from Wolves.

We’re a bit easier to watch than we were under Warnock… (many on here share your views on him), but it’s still pretty awful stuff to watch

I think you’re right about Dave Jones too
    On Warnock, I know the whole villain and wind up of Bristol City is put on and he loves it - he’s apparently supposed to be a lovely bloke away from the pitch. He’s a laugh on TalkSPORT- if his political and society views seem a bit 1973.

But when Bristol City fans say “we would take him if offered”, I always say no.
    Sure he gets results, the football is horrible on the eye and you can get promotion.
    But he reminds me of Harry Redknapp.
    When both leave a club - how do the clubs fare after them?
    I can’t think of any good examples of clubs that do well after a Warnock legacy.
    Rotherham went down, Sheff U went down, Leeds were a mess, Cardiff have gone backwards, I’m sure there’s others.

Same with Redknapp and West Ham directly after him, Portsmouth went down, Birmingham were fined and had points deductions.

I think Warnock is one dimensional and doesn’t set a club up for long term success.
    It’s amazing to me how many fans still can’t see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    He had a much better game yesterday than he did against the jacks. He quite impressed me yesterday
    I liked him too. Nice touch and he kept the ball alive to set up the second goal I believe. I'm comfortable in saying I really liked his hair! Fab!

On Warnock, I know the whole villain and wind up of Bristol City is put on and he loves it - he’s apparently supposed to be a lovely bloke away from the pitch. He’s a laugh on TalkSPORT- if his political and society views seem a bit 1973.

But when Bristol City fans say “we would take him if offered”, I always say no.
    Sure he gets results, the football is horrible on the eye and you can get promotion.
    But he reminds me of Harry Redknapp.
    When both leave a club - how do the clubs fare after them?
    I can’t think of any good examples of clubs that do well after a Warnock legacy.
    Rotherham went down, Sheff U went down, Leeds were a mess, Cardiff have gone backwards, I’m sure there’s others.

Same with Redknapp and West Ham directly after him, Portsmouth went down, Birmingham were fined and had points deductions.

I think Warnock is one dimensional and doesn’t set a club up for long term success.
    It’s amazing to me how many fans still can’t see that.
    Good post. 100% agree And the Redknapp comparison is on the money.