+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Should we bring back DJ?

Banned

Should we bring back DJ?

Anyone here thinks we should bring back dave Moans?
    Did we play our most attractive football under him?
    Discuss...

Re: Should we bring back DJ?

Craig Bellamy all day long

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Discuss...
    Funnily enough, my YouTube algorithm, brought up City vs Wolves under Dave Jones' leadership. Wolves had a player sent off and ended up getting thumped 4-0 by the City.
    Going into that game, City were the Championship's highest scorers and Wolves (top of the table) had the meanest defence.

The one noticeable thing about City's play that day, was their movement off the ball and players making themselves available for an outlet.
    In the highlights I watched, defenders rarely had to hoof it up field, like they do now. They had midfielders who dropped back to take a short, easy pass, then advance the ball themselves (Scimeca was excellent at this, Ledley not bad too!).

As a side note: Wolves were managed that day by our present incumbent.

Certainly had some memorable matches but we were often feast or famine.

Could play some lovely stuff one week, followed by some awful bottle job the next.

November the squad would go off on holiday from what I remember.

The squad that beat yesterday's opponents 6 nil at Ashton Gate is almost a world away from what we have now particularly going forward. Despite that he never managed to get us promoted where as people like Warnock and Mackay made it look easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Could play some lovely stuff one week, followed by some awful bottle job the next.

The squad that beat yesterday's opponents 6 nil at Ashton Gate is almost a world away from what we have now particularly going forward. Despite that he never managed to get us promoted where as people like Warnock and Mackay made it look easy.
    How he didn't manage to get us promoted with 'that' side is a mystery and really should be put down to his failure to get consistency.

While we did play attractive Football under Jones he was also a miserable sod who quickly tool unkindly to some players while other players got off with bad behaviour and performances lightly.

Disgraceful way he treated Adam Matthews.

Also, ask Andy Campbell what he thinks about DJ ..

Yes we want and in fact need city to play better football, but DJ isn't the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Other than the money we got from promotion though can the promotions be looked at as nothing but failure?

We came down on both occasions and were in worse states than when we'd been promoted. Money aside obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Other than the money we got from promotion though can the promotions be looked at as nothing but failure?

We came down on both occasions and were in worse states than when we'd been promoted. Money aside obviously.
    No the promotions themselves were nothing but a success. Our club top or 2nd over a 46 match season, one decent trophy added to our mainly Welsh Cup dominated cabinet. Lots to be positive about.

Lot of problems after of course and the chase was certainly far more enjoyable but I don't think we can turn our noses up at promotions, particularly to the top flight.

Dave Jones brought many positives but I don't think he was ever going to be capable of getting us there even if some of the football his teams played was the most enjoyable at times.

On the plus side, DJ gave players the freedom to play to their strenghts, with stifling them with rigid tactics,
    On the negative side, he let them get away with murder in training, hence we always ran out of steam later in the season.

(paraphrased from Jon Parkin's book)

So it's a no from me

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Funnily enough, my YouTube algorithm, brought up City vs Wolves under Dave Jones' leadership. Wolves had a player sent off and ended up getting thumped 4-0 by the City.
    Going into that game, City were the Championship's highest scorers and Wolves (top of the table) had the meanest defence.

The one noticeable thing about City's play that day, was their movement off the ball and players making themselves available for an outlet.
    In the highlights I watched, defenders rarely had to hoof it up field, like they do now. They had midfielders who dropped back to take a short, easy pass, then advance the ball themselves (Scimeca was excellent at this, Ledley not bad too!).

As a side note: Wolves were managed that day by our present incumbent.
    Well, well, well. I've remembered that day all wrong. I could have sworn blind that it was at Molineux. I've just found the 15 minute clip on YouTube which I'll watch later.

Discuss...
    Not sure his recent record is anything to recommend him to anyone. Mostly unemployed since 2013 and sacked by Hartlepool in 2017 after only 3 months in charge.

It's not up to us, We don't run or own the club.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    It's not up to us, We don't run or own the club.
    Oh Well, cancel all discussion on message boards, in pubs and in work break rooms between football fans.

Was fun while it lasted.

Bye all.

Great time for Bellamy.
    He could learn management as these kids learn football now we’re on that road.

More than anything he’d give a **** which MM doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Oh Well, cancel all discussion on message boards, in pubs and in work break rooms between football fans.

Was fun while it lasted.

Bye all.
    We're not worthy!

Played some good football under him but for me he always seemed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Has had a terrible record since leaving us sacked by Sheffield Wednesday with them second from bottom of the championship and then by Hartlepool where he was awful. Was an advisor to Bury and they went out of the league. At 65 probably not interested in another job anyway.

If MM is replaced it should probably be with a younger manager with more modern ideas.

If we could, should we pay Mick off at the end of the season and bring in a new manager?

I think it's very unlikely as new manager will also want financial backing (it would result in a double spend) but I'm wondering if it could be our Adkins to Pochettino moment.

We should have a good chance of promotion next year (2022-2023) but if it doesn't happen then it could be pushed back to 2024-2025 season.

Bellamy isn't coming until story about bullying is ancient history. I believe we're currently being investigated for racism from around that time - no suggestion it connects to Bellamy - which means there won't be any Craig soon.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    If we could, should we pay Mick off at the end of the season and bring in a new manager?

I think it's very unlikely as new manager will also want financial backing (it would result in a double spend) but I'm wondering if it could be our Adkins to Pochettino moment.

We should have a good chance of promotion next year (2022-2023) but if it doesn't happen then it could be pushed back to 2024-2025 season.

Bellamy isn't coming until story about bullying is ancient history. I believe we're currently being investigated for racism from around that time - no suggestion it connects to Bellamy - which means there won't be any Craig soon.

Loved the style of football we played under DJ but if you would have asked any fan at the time whether they would have preferred us to play more cautiously to ensure promotion, we all know what the answer would have been.

Discuss...
    If you look at the side of Dave Jones - with Chopra and Bothroyd up front - and put them against either team playing yesterday.

What do you think the score would be?

I would say probably about 3-0.

That Cardiff of Jones would hammer your current Cardiff side.

That gives your answer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

No, pay him off now. Text him.

Not my usual attitude I know because I’m big on loyalty and commitment.

This is different-

1. He’s going absolutely nowhere with this style . He simply can’t - if it was going anywhere it’d take five years and it would require commitment , leadership and definite commitment on his part.

2. He simply doesn’t give a **** and doesn’t even try to hide that . I haven’t got time for that - if he’s trying then we can forgive mistakes and failure but people are paying good money to support the club and Sri Vincent Tan is supporting it with millions which could be better spent if it’s a big waste.

No, I’m not a ruthless employer but frankly I’d bloody have him now. Immediately or sooner - he’s taking the piss out of everyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

Was fun while it lasted.

Bye all.
    he was asking for that to be fair

International

Whyv are people even thinking about it. Do you all want to go backwards?

The only DJ, I want ack at the City is Ali

It took Alan Dicks 9 years to get Bristol City to the old division one.
    I honestly believe if Tan had backed Jones more we would be in a better position today,
    He certainly had an eye for a player.
    Some of the best football I've seen at City.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Loved the style of football we played under DJ but if you would have asked any fan at the time whether they would have preferred us to play more cautiously to ensure promotion, we all know what the answer would have been.
    I used to be in the "I don't care how we play so long as we win" camp until 2 promotions and relegations, I've always preferred us play a little better but accepted the football on offer if it got us somewhere. It hadn't gotten us anywhere, so now I'd rather see a change and I'm not worried about winning at all costs.