+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wurzels at home for younger fans

Wurzels at home for younger fans

We pensioner fans know we rarely win this fixture.
    I was there when we won 1-0 by virtue of an early own goal in April 1971.
    We didn't win again until 2008.
    37 years. I was there too 2-1.
    More recently our record has been better I think but I sort of anticipated a loss yesterday.
    As MM said even the best teams lose sometimes and we usually lose at home to the West Country lads.

Re: Wurzels at home for younger fans

You’re forgetting our play-off game !

I'll never forget that 3-1 drubbing over Christmas in 2001. We drew 2-2 with Reading too. Thoroughly disappointing trip home football-wise. At least it was Christmas. The Stoke debacle was way worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    We pensioner fans know we rarely win this fixture.
    I was there when we won 1-0 by virtue of an early own goal in April 1971.
    We didn't win again until 2008.
    37 years. I was there too 2-1.
    More recently our record has been better I think but I sort of anticipated a loss yesterday.
    As MM said even the best teams lose sometimes and we usually lose at home to the West Country lads.
    I was there when we beat them at Ninian Park in the first leg of a League Cup tie, with Carl Dale scoring the winner. Unfortunately Andy Cole destroyed us in the return leg, and we were knocked out. Unfortunately I was at that game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You’re forgetting our play-off game !
    No
    I was there for that great game.
    Peter Thornes magic hat header a classic.
    But 'twas not a league game as such.

No
    I was there for that great game.
    Peter Thornes magic hat header a classic.
    But 'twas not a league game as such.

Well it was at home, as you described and it wasn’t a cup game, was it ?

We do have a hold over Cardiff City in Cardiff lately.
    As mentioned I think it’s more to do with the fact both teams when they are at home and the onus is on them to attack and create, they run out of ideas and get hit on the break.

Worth remembering we haven’t beaten Cardiff in Bristol for 4 years.

A winning goal in 2017 coming from a long throw into the box by Magnusson which would have taken out an aeroplane and a thundering header from Aden Flint.
    Somewhat ironic now eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    We do have a hold over Cardiff City in Cardiff lately.
    As mentioned I think it’s more to do with the fact both teams when they are at home and the onus is on them to attack and create, they run out of ideas and get hit on the break.

Worth remembering we haven’t beaten Cardiff in Bristol for 4 years.

A winning goal in 2017 coming from a long throw into the box by Magnusson which would have taken out an aeroplane and a thundering header from Aden Flint.
    Somewhat ironic now eh?
    Didn't we win 0-6 one evening at Ashton. I recall all the free programmes from a local estate agent being thrown on the pitch at half time as the Wurzel fans left at half time 0-4 down. 😂

And our 0-0 there to secure the playoff final that got us in the Championship is still the best away I've ever been at. 😉

Didn't we win 0-6 one evening at Ashton. I recall all the free programmes from a local estate agent being thrown on the pitch at half time as the Wurzel fans left at half time 0-4 down. 😂

And our 0-0 there to secure the playoff final that got us in the Championship is still the best away I've ever been at. 😉
    Both fantastic occasions. We were 4-0 up at half time in the first game you mention and the tannoy announcer commented on how we’d blown a 4-0 half time lead at Peterborough a few weeks earlier.

We kicked off and 2 minutes later it was 5-0 and the programmes came raining down!

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Both fantastic occasions. We were 4-0 up at half time in the first game you mention and the tannoy announcer commented on how we’d blown a 4-0 half time lead at Peterborough a few weeks earlier.

We kicked off and 2 minutes later it was 5-0 and the programmes came raining down!
    This was indeed a seriously bad night.

My son broke his collar bone playing junior football the weekend before the Bristol play-off game. Spoke to the club about it and they gave us seats near the corner flag in the front row of the Canton stand. Spent the whole game with one eye on the football and the other on him to make sure he was safe. Think I looked like Marty Feldman after that.