+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Safe Standing next season - UPDATED

Safe Standing next season - UPDATED

BBC News - Government plans to lift football standing ban

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58357046

Time will tell whether that means some seats will be replaced, or if our board think that there's no need as people stand anyway.

Re: Safe Standing next season

It's about time.
    My concern is that some fans will take it as a fre-for-all and stand here there and everywhere.
    We have a number of older and disabled fans (me included) who USED to stand in our youth, but cannot stand for 45 minutes at a time.

Standing already causes problems for me when there's action in the corner by the away section - people there get excited and stand, forcing the next block to stand or miss the action - this continues to half-way, where I sit, and it's bloody annoying.

Banned

Seriously, who wants to stand up at football. Lol.
    I'm 44, I look for a seat in a nightclub now

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    I’m hoping they install some recliners!

You still go in nightclubs? Are you Michael Gove? https://www.theguardian.com/politics...deen-nightclub

In the middle of moving my season ticket from the canton to the Ninian stand so I can sit down !

This is great news.

Will improve atmosphere, potentially lead to cheaper tickets (or keep cheaper tickets in grounds with existing terracing) allow choice, help those unable to stand, hopefully ensure that some standing and seating is available for away fans, who for many clubs are made to stand all game.

I cant think of anything negative at all.

I can't stand sitting down....

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    This is great news.

Will improve atmosphere, potentially lead to cheaper tickets (or keep cheaper tickets in grounds with existing terracing) allow choice, help those unable to stand, hopefully ensure that some standing and seating is available for away fans, who for many clubs are made to stand all game.

I cant think of anything negative at all.
    How could it lead to cheaper tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    A standing charge might apply

I would like to lobby the club for a more adventurous approach to fan comfort which would require us to remove the first ten rows of seats around the ground , fill the area with sand and place deckchairs in that area and provide a lady waitress service to and from the area , they would of course attract highest seating costs in the stadium .

I'd name it Sloper By the Sea

It may not...

However, if you looked at ticket prices for any of the 20 or so league clubs that do still have standing, then they would be cheaper to stand than sit at pretty much everyone.

Whether that means clubs would reduce prices if they returned them to terracing is another question. In theory though, they involve less maintenance, can fit more people in per metre sq etc etc and offer less comfort, so the rationale is there.

Also depends if we mean traditional terracing (ie, where you stand where you like) like the Bob Bank lower before, or this rail seating, which doesnt actually increase capacity at all.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I would like to lobby the club for a more adventurous approach to fan comfort which would require us to remove the first ten rows of seats around the ground , fill the area with sand and place deckchairs in that area and provide a lady waitress service to and from the area , they would of course attract highest seating costs in the stadium .

I'd name it Sloper By the Sea
    You joke, but some American and Aussie grounds have this.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22457...ng-the-action/

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It may not...

However, if you looked at ticket prices for any of the 20 or so league clubs that do still have standing, then they would be cheaper to stand than sit at pretty much everyone.

Whether that means clubs would reduce prices if they returned them to terracing is another question. In theory though, they involve less maintenance, can fit more people in per metre sq etc etc and offer less comfort, so the rationale is there.

Also depends if we mean traditional terracing (ie, where you stand where you like) like the Bob Bank lower before, or this rail seating, which doesnt actually increase capacity at all.
    That's why I asked. Safe standing is rail seating, not a return to terracing.

That's why I asked. Safe standing is rail seating, not a return to terracing.
    I'm not so sure about that though. Rail seating already exists at Celtic, Wolves, Man Utd, Chelsea, Shrewsbury etc.

The change in legislation therefore presumably refers to dedicated standing areas, not just standing in front of a seat

Barrier seating is coming

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...g-canton-stand

Following the publication of a CFE Research report for the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA), Cardiff City Football Club is pleased to provide a positive update on its safe standing provision at Cardiff City Stadium.
    The Club endorses the report and, in light of its findings, is installing seats with independent barriers across all seven bays of the back five rows of the Canton Stand, offering a safe standing option to supporters in this area this season.

Cardiff City contributed to the CFE Research report as one of six case study sites, alongside Tottenham Hotspur, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Brighton & Hove Albion, Brentford and Celtic.

The final report, which included responses from Cardiff City spectators and references to the work of the Club, found that installing barriers or rails has a positive impact on spectator safety, among wider benefits.

While Club policy will remain unchanged in the Ninian Stand, Grandstand and Family Stand (where persistent standing is not allowed), the Canton Stand meets the CFE Research definition of a “tolerated standing area”.

Further safe standing is planned to be introduced in the away end in 2022/23.

As in previous seasons, the Club will commission an independent inspection of these arrangements at one or more matches during the 2021/22 season. The reports of these inspections will be provided to the local Safety Advisory Group and published online.

Re: Safe Standing next season - UPDATED

I know City are looking at a safe standing area, at the rear of the Canton Stand. The downside is, I hear , that they will be more stringent on enforcing sitting down in other area of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I know City are looking at a safe standing area, at the rear of the Canton Stand. The downside is, I hear , that they will be more stringent on enforcing sitting down in other area of the ground.
    Not a downside as far as I'm concerned

Fine

The downside (if that's the right word) will be from fans who have tickets for other parts of the Canton trying to access the back 5 rows.

Unfortunately, those days are behind me. But I bet it will be fun for those too young to have ever had the pleasure. There's something to be said for jumping up and down like an idiot after we've scored. What a feeling. It looks great on TV too.

The downside (if that's the right word) will be from fans who have tickets for other parts of the Canton trying to access the back 5 rows.
    I don't see why they'd bother, everybody stands in all parts of the Canton anyway

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Unfortunately, those days are behind me. But I bet it will be fun for those too young to have ever had the pleasure. There's something to be said for jumping up and down like an idiot after we've scored. What a feeling. It looks great on TV too.
    Even with the old Bob bank mainly empty, you could move about 20ft further down back in the day, particularly if we had a big crowd of say 5000 and it was a big game v Bristol rovers or something