+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Recruitment Team at CCFC

The Recruitment Team at CCFC

Who are they and what do they do? How do you think it works?

Max Watters being brought in and not being played.
    Wintle now having been brought in on a free and being released on loan without being given a chance.

I'm now reading that Marley Watkins was looking at a move here but that a longer deal was blocked by the chairman.

How do we manage to bring players through the door without any intention to play them?
    How does a manager want a new addition, like the player or not, and be told by a non footballing man that he can't come?

Re: The Recruitment Team at CCFC

Last sentence.. Because the manager doesn't control the purse strings and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Last sentence.. Because the manager doesn't control the purse strings and rightly so.
    Marley Watkins though. I know we were watching the pennies but things are a lot worse than I thought if we can't stretch to Marley Watkins who has just been signed by Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Marley Watkins though. I know we were watching the pennies but things are a lot worse than I thought if we can't stretch to Marley Watkins who has just been signed by Aberdeen.
    Its the principle for me. Shouldn't matter the wage, if its going to be a waste. Marley Watkins no matter what his earnings would have blocked the path of a younger player

Glad it was blocked.

And look at the shit attitude on him since.. Don't want that from our players.

Its the principle for me. Shouldn't matter the wage, if its going to be a waste. Marley Watkins no matter what his earnings would have blocked the path of a younger player

Glad it was blocked.

I am glad it was blocked.

It doesn't change the fact that our experienced manager seems to have wanted the midfielder and been told by a non footballing man that he can't.
    Either way that isn't good. We are either a lot worse off financially than is being indicated or Dalman believe he has a greater knowledge of such things than MM. Not good.

Glad it was blocked.

Shite attitude? Yeah you wouldn't see that in any of our players.
    Model pros who give 100% every week to a man.

I am glad it was blocked.

It doesn't change the fact that our experienced manager seems to have wanted the midfielder and been told by a non footballing man that he can't.
    Either way that isn't good. We are either a lot worse off financially than is being indicated or Dalman believe he has a greater knowledge of such things than MM. Not good.
    Probably learnt their lesson after Warnock.

Watters is an interesting one. Still young, has gone to forward thinking club in MK dons so might come back to be really relevant here, but on the flip-side it might be that he was bought for manager wanting to play two strikers and has been managed by one who doesn't.

Watkins is interesting because I'm sure you'd be on here moaning if we did give him a contract.

I think our recruitment has been more good than bad since Harris came in. Acid test is next year when team become theirs.

A few years back I got into a conversation about the difference between Malky & DJs recruitment. Malky prepared an in depth file on who he wanted & why, giving only those he wanted. DJ simply gave the club a priority list from 1 thru to 5 or 6 and told them to work from top down. Very different styles, the club preferred Malky’s approach as it was easier for them.

The decision making recruitment team of Tan, Dalman, Choo and the manager is well publicised but how do players that might suit us come to the notice of the club ? Undoubtedly MM will have empirical knowledge of other players but how did we find out about Watters for example? Do we employ scouts? Are Scouts self employed and we commission them to scour certain leagues for a player in a particular position and likely to be in a certain price range ? The transfer committee has come in for some stick as not, apart from the manager, being very experienced but how players get to be considered by them for transfer in the first place has to be the most important link in the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Watters is an interesting one. Still young, has gone to forward thinking club in MK dons so might come back to be really relevant here, but on the flip-side it might be that he was bought for manager wanting to play two strikers and has been managed by one who doesn't.

Watkins is interesting because I'm sure you'd be on here moaning if we did give him a contract.

I think our recruitment has been more good than bad since Harris came in. Acid test is next year when team become theirs.
    The thing with Watters is he doesn't really fit how we play. I think the best we can hope for with him is he does well and we get a good fee or MM leaves

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    The thing with Watters is he doesn't really fit how we play. I think the best we can hope for with him is he does well and we get a good fee or MM leaves
    So far, Watters hasn't played a single minute for MK Dons. I guess he must be injured because he's not even been on the bench of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Very different styles, the club preferred Malky’s approach as it was easier for them.
    When you say 'the club', I presume you're not including the owner. He didn't seem to be too impressed with Malky's transfer dealings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When you say 'the club', I presume you're not including the owner. He didn't seem to be too impressed with Malky's transfer dealings.
    He loved the ones that took us up.

It was one or two of the Premier League signings he wasn't so happy with.

International

He loved the ones that took us up.

It was one or two of the Premier League signings he wasn't so happy with.
    That must be the understatement of the season so far.

I do wonder why we sign some of the players we do but I think a functioning academy may have something to do with us offloading fringe players

I would think Wintle has gone out on loan too get games as he is not ahead of Bacuna, Vaulks, Pack or Ralls. Maybe the club thought that one or two of those would leave this summer? But a free transfer from Crewe on probably lowish wages is a decent signing. Let Blackpool give him game time. We have recall clause in January too.

And maybe, juts maybe, he is being sent out so we can sign a player in a another position where we are not so strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The decision making recruitment team of Tan, Dalman, Choo and the manager is well publicised but how do players that might suit us come to the notice of the club ? Undoubtedly MM will have empirical knowledge of other players but how did we find out about Watters for example? Do we employ scouts? Are Scouts self employed and we commission them to scour certain leagues for a player in a particular position and likely to be in a certain price range ? The transfer committee has come in for some stick as not, apart from the manager, being very experienced but how players get to be considered by them for transfer in the first place has to be the most important link in the chain.
    This WOL article from January partly answers your question - but leaves a lot of gaps. It doesn't describe the current scouting system, it doesn't explain the way the club identifies or assesses potential recruits (Brentford cited as a positive example) and it doesn't cover the way the club sifts names put forward by agents and others.

In this digital age I assume a lot of early work can be done on potential recruits without an ex player hiding in the stands with a notebook - and not just relying on YouTube videos of world class strikers somehow overlooked in the Conference! The main bit (apart from the Academy recruitment which is the main focus) is this:

So, how does a transfer get done?

Players are identified and sourced through the recruitment operation, headed by Beadell, and the manager, now Mick McCarthy.

That recommendation is put through to the transfer committee, which comprises Ken Choo, Steve Borley, the manager and committee chair Mehmet Dalman.

The committee are then tasked with the negotiation side of the deal and finding the funds to complete the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    This WOL article from January partly answers your question - but leaves a lot of gaps. It doesn't describe the current scouting system, it doesn't explain the way the club identifies or assesses potential recruits (Brentford cited as a positive example) and it doesn't cover the way the club sifts names put forward by agents and others.

In this digital age I assume a lot of early work can be done on potential recruits without an ex player hiding in the stands with a notebook - and not just relying on YouTube videos of world class strikers somehow overlooked in the Conference! The main bit (apart from the Academy recruitment which is the main focus) is this:

So, how does a transfer get done?

Players are identified and sourced through the recruitment operation, headed by Beadell, and the manager, now Mick McCarthy.

That recommendation is put through to the transfer committee, which comprises Ken Choo, Steve Borley, the manager and committee chair Mehmet Dalman.

The committee are then tasked with the negotiation side of the deal and finding the funds to complete the transaction.

Thanks for that Jon, I recall that article now and the "prising away" of Kevin Beadell from Arsenal U23s. Although if you put "Beadell" into the search box on the Club website you get no results. Has he been "prised away" by someone else ?

I still prefer our deals lately of only paying transfer fees for younger players (I wouldn't dare compare it.to any other clubs). I think it's the way forward other than paying big fees for people like Flint.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Thanks for that Jon, I recall that article now and the "prising away" of Kevin Beadell from Arsenal U23s. Although if you put "Beadell" into the search box on the Club website you get no results. Has he been "prised away" by someone else ?
    I assume Beadell’s about