+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Attendances this season

Attendances this season

I've compared average attendances of Championship teams from the last full, uninterrupted season of 2018/19 and this season. This is how teams' attendances compare this season with 2018/19 in terms of percentage. For Cardiff City I've used the figure from the season before, when we were in the Championship and won promotion.

Derby County -31.3%
    Blackburn Rovers -23.8%
    Preston North End -23.3%
    Stoke City -19.8%
    Swansea City -14.9%
    Hull City -14.0%
    Nottingham Forest -12.9%
    Reading FC -12.7%
    Millwall FC -11.3%
    Bristol City -7.8%
    Middlesbrough FC -6.7%
    Cardiff City -6.6%
    Queens Park Rangers 2.8%

So far across the Championship, where Championship attendances are being compared with Championship attendances for the two seasons, crowds are down around 14%. Ours has only dropped by 6.6% from our automatic promotion season, despite a disappointing summer's transfer activity.

Quick addition - QPR's crowd has gone up from 2018/19. That's not a typo.

Re: Attendances this season

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've compared average attendances of Championship teams from the last full, uninterrupted season of 2018/19 and this season. This is how teams' attendances compare this season with 2018/19 in terms of percentage. For Cardiff City I've used the figure from the season before, when we were in the Championship and won promotion.

Derby County -31.3%
    Blackburn Rovers -23.8%
    Preston North End -23.3%
    Stoke City -19.8%
    Swansea City -14.9%
    Hull City -14.0%
    Nottingham Forest -12.9%
    Reading FC -12.7%
    Millwall FC -11.3%
    Bristol City -7.8%
    Middlesbrough FC -6.7%
    Cardiff City -6.6%
    Queens Park Rangers 2.8%

So far across the Championship, where Championship attendances are being compared with Championship attendances for the two seasons, crowds are down around 14%. Ours has only dropped by 6.6% from our automatic promotion season, despite a disappointing summer's transfer activity.

Quick addition - QPR's crowd has gone up from 2018/19. That's not a typo.
    There are bound to be people who have not returned to football because of Covid. I said I would start going again as soon as I’d been vaccinated, but still don’t feel entirely safe at games.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There are bound to be people who have not returned to football because of Covid. I said I would start going again as soon as I’d been vaccinated, but still don’t feel entirely safe at games.
    I also know of one or two other fans who are reluctant to return to games at the moment. By the way, isn't it the case that it will never be 'entirely safe'?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I also know of one or two other fans who are reluctant to return to games at the moment. By the way, isn't it the case that it will never be 'entirely safe'?
    yes, but I thought I was going to be entirely safe, or very close to that, once I'd had the vaccine,

yes, but I thought I was going to be entirely safe, or very close to that, once I'd had the vaccine,
    It's not that easy a call for those who still have concerns.

It's not just solely about the vaccine though. Many people took a huge financial hit during the various lockdowns. It might take them a while to get back on their feet, with football having to take a place on the back-burner.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    This is Cardiff, Everything is 'Safe'

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It's not just solely about the vaccine though. Many people took a huge financial hit during the various lockdowns. It might take them a while to get back on their feet, with football having to take a place on the back-burner.
    And some people have got out of the habit and realised that there are other things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And some people have got out of the habit and realised that there are other things to do.
    Which is why I think our attendances have not been bad at all. 6% down on our promotion season, given some apathy towards the football played and a summer where no big names have come in, is pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    During lockdown I started wearing nun's outfits but I got out of the habit.