+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Devils

Banned

Cardiff Devils

Gonna get a few games in this season, I'm finding football a bit boring lately, the match day thing is still fun and certainly away games, but the actual game is getting dire to sit through.

Anyway, I've seen the devils have put together an awesome team this season, most of them never played for us before.

Brodie Reid, what a player, top scorer for Kansas City in the ahl last season.

Brodie Dupont, 2005 New York rangers draft pick

Brendan mikkelson, played nearly 150 games for Anaheim, tampa Bay

Yes , they got hammered in their 1st champions league game, won thier second, but were never going to lift that title.

The elite league should be a gimme I reckon.

Anyone here go down?

Re: Cardiff Devils

Haven't been for years. Used to be a good craic as a kid.
    How much are ST now adult and child?

I haven’t been down since the Cooper brothers left
    Stephen lived in my block over Atlantic Wharf - great guy
    Me and the Mrs would get comped and would drink in the Glamorgan Suite all match lol 🍺🍺
    Never really a fan of the hockey ☺️

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Haven't been for years. Used to be a good craic as a kid.
    How much are ST now adult and child?
    I ain't been for about 4 years.
    I looked at ST when they opened the new rink in 2016, it's on a par with cardiff city if I remember

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    I ain't been for about 4 years.
    I looked at ST when they opened the new rink in 2016, it's on a par with cardiff city if I remember
    Cheers for that, I vaguely remember now you mention it.

Used to go to every game during the Jeff Burgoyne / Jason Stone era. Went to some away games too. Always loved the action and atmosphere. No chance of falling asleep there.

Watched both games as they were streamed live on YouTube and to get the result on Saturday was hugely impressive, especially as (a) it's a new squad that have played no pre season games, (b) they essentially only met each other 2 weeks ago, and (c) the head coach and two key players are both missing due to Covid protocols.

That first period against Adler Mannheim on Thursday was essentially their pre season.

Mac Carruth looks like he's a capable successor to Ben Bowns and I'm excited to see the kinds of numbers Cole Sanford can hit.

You really have to admire the team they've put together and the way that the organization as a whole is run.

I went in the very early days of them setting up, when the ice rink was near the Hayes.
    The first game I attended, I was stood behind the goal near to the entrance. Both teams took to the ice and started warming up, with pucks flying everywhere! One puck hit the safety netting (no plexiglass back then) and somehow flew through and hit me on the thigh. I had my hands in my pockets at the time and could do nothing to avoid being hit.
    I wasn't really hurt but I had heard that someone had been hit in the face down there in a similar fashion. Ouch!!

I tried to watch a few games on the TV when they were being streamed but I struggled to follow the puck

Used to enjoy going down to a game and the devils have been very good in recent years. A completely different experience to football and rugby. I would say far more family friendly.

Always good to support local sports doing well anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    A completely different experience to football and rugby. I would say far more family friendly.
    Which is ironic given how unashamedly violent ice hockey is 😂

Its definitely one of those sports where you have to see it in person to fully appreciate it.

I've enjoyed quite a few Devils matches over the years and am planning on attending a few more when Devils coincide with City home. Harvester in between. Plenty of parking nearby. I'd encourage anyone who hasn't been to give it a go. No chance of falling asleep like down the City ....fast n furious! And very friendly supporters always good for a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I went in the very early days of them setting up, when the ice rink was near the Hayes.
    The first game I attended, I was stood behind the goal near to the entrance. Both teams took to the ice and started warming up, with pucks flying everywhere! One puck hit the safety netting (no plexiglass back then) and somehow flew through and hit me on the thigh. I had my hands in my pockets at the time and could do nothing to avoid being hit.
    I wasn't really hurt but I had heard that someone had been hit in the face down there in a similar fashion. Ouch!!
    Possibly the incident where a Telford Tigers player (allegedly) deliberately fired the puck into the crowd and hit a 17 y.o. girl in the face. I went to the reverse fixture at Telford which had to be abandoned as all hell broke out amongst the players. Any thought of sport that night went out the window. Just fighting. Blood. Bits of kit all over the place. Devils fans were told to leave with immediate effect. Not a good night to have led a school trip there!

Used to go semi regularly at the old rink when young. Still try to go when I’m back in Wales at Christmas, do enjoy taking in a game in the winter.

Shame there’s no club at that level in London, as I’d probably go semi regularly when the weather turns. There are a couple at the level below I think.

Watched the hammering against Mannheim in the week on the telly and caught bits and pieces of the game against Lausanne, great result.

The scrapping is entertaining but it's like cricket or the Olympics for me , doesn't get me loaded