+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: International football: Wales/Cymru v Finland, Belarus and Estonia

Re: International football: Wales/Cymru v Finland, Belarus and Estonia

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m saying Giggs should resign.
    And I'm saying that I don't think we should appoint a new permanent manager until after the 2022 World Cup and Giggs will be gone by then whether or not he resigns.

Might not be the best thread for it, but 10 years ago we saw a Darcy Blake masterclass and an Earnshaw miss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjhN9QE8ao

Sadly, that also means it's 10 years since Mike Dye passed away. Not sure if anyone on here knew him and apologies if posting this wasn't good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Giggs' contract expires after the World Cup next year and I don't think we should appoint a new permanent manager before then.
    I guess if Page gets us to the WC then we are unlikely to change before the tournament.
    I wouldn't mind seeing us bringing in someone in an advisory role though.

If we don't qualify then it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I think most of us would agree more with local ratings (https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-bale-21488163) than the whoscored ratings (https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/15...-Belarus-Wales).
    I can understand the difference in a couple of instances.

I think the whoscored ratings are stats driven, so lawrence was given a decent rating as he did a fair amount of passing and won son individual duels. Where he was caught out of position for the goal I'm not sure that shows up in their dataset.
    (I can't even begin to imagine the dataset that tries to measure that - I bet someone has had a go though)

Other players like Colwill and Gunter are scored down on both metrics as their shortcomings are easier to pick up in the numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I can understand the difference in a couple of instances.

I think the whoscored ratings are stats driven, so lawrence was given a decent rating as he did a fair amount of passing and won son individual duels. Where he was caught out of position for the goal I'm not sure that shows up in their dataset.
    (I can't even begin to imagine the dataset that tries to measure that - I bet someone has had a go though)

Other players like Colwill and Gunter are scored down on both metrics as their shortcomings are easier to pick up in the numbers
    I think Danny Ward has been hard done by by the data Whoscored picked up on: he had three shots on target to face and saved the only one which a) wasn't a penalty and b) wasn't an easy chance for striker.

To be fair, Whoscored are providing their work for free and giving us a glimpse at sort of analysis coaches themselves will be doing. Definitely happy they're around.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m saying Giggs should resign.
    100%. Guilty or not, if he wanted the best for Wales and not himself he'd resign and remove the distraction and slight air of treading water

Wales will be able to call on support from its South Asian community when a new fans’ group attends Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier against Estonia for the first time.

Amar Cymru has been launched to give the South Asian community a voice in the national team, with the group’s formation fully backed by the Football Association of Wales:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b1915087.html
    Story popped up earlier in the summer but croeso again to the fans who have been around longer than some of us and the new ones joining because of this group

What happens if we finish second and make the play offs? If we also make the play offs via the Nations League do we get two cracks at reaching the finals?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    What happens if we finish second and make the play offs? If we also make the play offs via the Nations League do we get two cracks at reaching the finals?
    hopefully we draw ourselves in the playoffs

It’s inevitable. They will play it in Hong Kong.

....and we would still get knocked out by missing a penalty

Anybody clarify the set up for the playoffs? I’m seeing stories about single games, finals in Baku etc

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Anybody clarify the set up for the playoffs? I’m seeing stories about single games, finals in Baku etc
    I did try to edit this but left it too long. I’ve seen the Wiki page that surge linked and understand the format, the final venue being the luck of the draw is harsh, better to have all Finals at Wembley shirley

MATCH HUB: CYMRU V ESTONIA:

Belgium extended their lead at the top of 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying Group E on Sunday with a convincing 3-0 win over the Czech Republic in Brussels....

https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/match-...ru-v-estonaia/
    Bit more build up here

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    And I'm saying that I don't think we should appoint a new permanent manager until after the 2022 World Cup and Giggs will be gone by then whether or not he resigns.
    That would mean the national team would have been in a state of limbo for more than two years during which time two major final tournaments will have taken place.

https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/suppor...mru-v-estonia/

Cymru welcome Estonia to Cardiff City Stadium on Wednesday night (8 September) in the European Qualifiers for the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The match kicks off at 7:45pm.

Tickets for the match are still available and can be downloaded to your smartphone. Please visit FAW.Cymru/tickets for more information....

Because it was a reality, and tonight, that reality will finally ripple through the ether once again after 659 days without it, nearly two years since Aaron Ramsey was mistaken for Kieffer Moore and the dream of 2016 gained a sequel.

https://welshfootballfans.com/eatsle...jn-gy7d6-m5nrt
    And on what would have been Gary Speed's 52nd birthday too

Last minute podcast listening for those looking for some extra build-up: https://www.podcastpeldroed.cymru/