+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Summer Transfer Window Critical

Re: Next Summer Transfer Window Critical

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Morrison is a deluxe version of Flint, so I think he would look better playing in the middle of a back three.
    yeah I'd agree with that

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Its almost like we should have started the process this year so it's not such a big shocker next year.
    in fairness we had other issues to address then too

I think that re-signing Morrison is a no-brainer unless he wants silly money.
    Logic would indicate that Morrison isn't going to play for a pittance - at his age, next contract is likely to be the last big contract he can get - this may not tally with our financial constraints. As our financial health is far more important than any one player, it's likely that if no deal can be worked out he'll be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    in fairness we had other issues to address then too
    I'm not sure putting a couple of players on the transfer market would have put too much stress on the workload

I'm not sure putting a couple of players on the transfer market would have put too much stress on the workload
    Those pens don’t push themselves you know?!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Those pens don’t push themselves you know?!

Imagine halving the workload this year so you've not got twice the work to do next year, with the added plus that if they don't sign/we didn't want to extend we had a years contract to try and get some sort of fee for anyone wlthatbwould have been leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Morrison, Ralls, Flint, Pack are all starters with Vaulks as back up in midfield.

If they go they will all need replacing and some of those are top players at this level
    Not as easy as it sounds and we would lose a lot of our goal threat.

Smithies is an excellent keeper, but you can’t have a back up in that money and Tomlin and Murphy will surely go, both are huge talents, but just haven’t done near enough.
    They may be starters I just don’t see them as huge goal threats anymore. Unless Vaulks gets his head sorted his career is nosediving. The squad is stale and needs to be unWarnocked. I know it’s not easy. That shouldn’t be a reason for not doing it though.

Imagine halving the workload this year so you've not got twice the work to do next year, with the added plus that if they don't sign/we didn't want to extend we had a years contract to try and get some sort of fee for anyone wlthatbwould have been leaving.
    Enough with that project and resource management talk!

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    A final thought for this thread, how many are assuming we'll play same formation next season?

Mick wasn't shy in picking current formation because it got the most out of players available but looking at players expected here next year and I'd argue that rotation between 4-3-3 and 3-4-1-2 far more likely than currently dominant 3-4-2-1 and occasional 3-4-1-2.

That could mean Watters coming back in from the cold (if playing 2 up front again), greater emphasis on real wingers (Bacuna in a new role?) and slightly more defensive full-backs (D'Almeida favoured and Sang pushed forward?).
    We could trial him for the mascot?

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Logic would indicate that Morrison isn't going to play for a pittance - at his age, next contract is likely to be the last big contract he can get - this may not tally with our financial constraints. As our financial health is far more important than any one player, it's likely that if no deal can be worked out he'll be sold.
    Which clubs will be looking to sign Morrison and won't have the same financial constraints that we do? He's a top player in the Championship, but not good enough for the Premier League, or at least he wasn't a few years ago.

I think that re-signing Morrison is a no-brainer unless he wants silly money.
    Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    The alternative to 'silly money' is not 'a pittance'.

With a very few exceptions it is likely that all clubs in the EFL will be reducing costs - partly because of the Covid and post Covid football economy and partly because what went before was unsustainable anyway. We will have had four windows of reduced fees, reduced wage offers, more key loans from EPL clubs and promoting home grown academy players.

If Morrison doesn't want to take a realistic wage offer to stay, he is unlikely to get a significantly better final pay day from most other Championship clubs (maybe those with parachute payments, but even then the purse strings will be tighter than in the past) and if EPL clubs haven't tried to get him before now it is unlikely that will happen by next summer when he is another year older and hampered by more bumps, twists and tears.

I would try to keep Morrison, Pack and Ralls (maybe Murphy if he finally wakes up this season and plays to his potential) but all on realistic Championship wages.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The alternative to 'silly money' is not 'a pittance'.

With a very few exceptions it is likely that all clubs in the EFL will be reducing costs - partly because of the Covid and post Covid football economy and partly because what went before was unsustainable anyway. We will have had four windows of reduced fees, reduced wage offers, more key loans from EPL clubs and promoting home grown academy players.

If Morrison doesn't want to take a realistic wage offer to stay, he is unlikely to get a significantly better final pay day from most other Championship clubs (maybe those with parachute payments, but even then the purse strings will be tighter than in the past) and if EPL clubs haven't tried to get him before now it is unlikely that will happen by next summer when he is another year older and hampered by more bumps, twists and tears.

I would try to keep Morrison, Pack and Ralls (maybe Murphy if he finally wakes up this season and plays to his potential) but all on realistic Championship wages.
    Jon , your account has been hacked .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Jon , your account has been hacked .
    He's going to tear up this league....... (maybe).

He's going to tear up this league....... (maybe).
    No Jon.
    He is fuucking useless. Talented without doubt but Cardiff isnt the place for him. Just one of those things .....

What a thread this is….

No Jon.
    He is fuucking useless. Talented without doubt but Cardiff isnt the place for him. Just one of those things .....
    I can see what you're doing here. You are looking at the evidence. You have completely missed out on the conclusions of wishful thinking, the punchlines from decades of Roy Of The Rovers, and the possibilities of miracles actually happening!

Does that also mean Tomlin isn't going to come back lean, mean and on his A game for the next 41 league matches?

My dreams are shattered!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    What a thread this is….
    I think worrying about the future is the way forward.

I can see what you're doing here. You are looking at the evidence. You have completely missed out on the conclusions of wishful thinking, the punchlines from decades of Roy Of The Rovers, and the possibilities of miracles actually happening!

Does that also mean Tomlin isn't going to come back lean, mean and on his A game for the next 41 league matches?

My dreams are shattered!
    Tomlin !

My favourite player .My dreams are in tatters.

He cheated on me. Fat useless .........er .....

AND , I have watched, hoped ,prayed that Murphy would come good .... He is like a skinny Tomlin.

Its almost like we should have started the process this year so it's not such a big shocker next year.
    You can’t do that when they’ve all got 2 years on their contract

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    They may be starters I just don’t see them as huge goal threats anymore. Unless Vaulks gets his head sorted his career is nosediving. The squad is stale and needs to be unWarnocked. I know it’s not easy. That shouldn’t be a reason for not doing it though.
    Isn’t Flint responsible for almost half our league goals this year, with Pack and Morrison chipping in too ?

If it leaves us weaker, which it probably will if you get rid of these players then yeah it is a reason not to cull some very good players

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Isn’t Flint responsible for almost half our league goals this year, with Pack and Morrison chipping in too ?

If it leaves us weaker, which it probably will if you get rid of these players then yeah it is a reason not to cull some very good players
    We both know the answer to your question re. Flint but he's the oldest on the list (I think) and is a CB. I quite like him this season as a personality on the park but one year would be all he's worth and I've already agreed with a few people that Morrison is the one to keep but there'd need to be some caveats to that.

They may be good players but I said I think the squad is stale and they're not great players are they? If there was one truly great player in that lot it'd be really obvious. If they weren't already Cardiff City players, would we want to sign any of them given the choice? If they're at the end of contracts, why not try something/someone different? But we're only 5 games in. All of this is redundant anyway and just a bit of fun, footie stuff.

I think worrying about the future is the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    From a quick look at the squad contracts it seems all of these players are out of contract in June 2022.

Smithies
    Morrison
    Flint
    Vaulks
    Ralls
    Pack
    Murphy
    Tomlin

Personally I would not be too gutted to see most of them go. It gives a very real chance to overhaul the midfield here for one.
    Some of them listed just don't seem bothered to play and when they do seem unmotivated and there are also some aging players in that lot that simply need replacing by younger models.

Who would you let go, who would you keep and why?
    Whether MM is the man to make the signings/spend the money to replace them is another argument too.
    I dont think it helps our current situation when so many key team members are out of contract at the end of the season. 6 who featured today.

Are some of them annoyed at this and not giving 100% as a result?

Think Smithies, Morrison and Ralls are unlucky to be in this situation and Morrison and Ralls in particular may feel annoyed at the lack of loyalty considering the years of service they have given the club.

Smithies, Morrison and Ralls all have resale value as well, shocking that we seem happy to let them go for free at the end of the year

Ralls is the only one I'd keep. Morrison looks finished

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    I dont think it helps our current situation when so many key team members are out of contract at the end of the season. 6 who featured today.

Are some of them annoyed at this and not giving 100% as a result?
    Hmm at a glance I almost thought sensible post captain but then I doubt this would do any of them any good as they would need to show something in order to find another club.
    Players certainly aren't busting a gut for the cause though.

This is virtually the same team that had a pretty decent start to the season but something has definitely changed in the camp since.
    The awful defensive negative tactics still being employed by stubborn Mick after many soul destroying drubbing I reckon is the real reason that there was zero spirit today.

Even if VT can't afford to sack MM then he should let another (Morrison or whomever) take charge from here on in.
    That dressing room needs a change, any change, even if it is only a short term solution.