+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: food prices to rise

Re: food prices to rise

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    So you take anecdotal and temporary information about food prices rising more than official statistics?
    I'm glad you weren't referring to me when you quoted me with this reply

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm glad you weren't referring to me when you quoted me with this reply
    Ha, fair point! My error on that part.

I'll private message you if you change your settings. No way am I entering a public slanging match when you don't seem open to listening.

We all have anecdotal evidence. Every policy every govt has ever made will impact positively on some and negatively on others. The point is to look at the collective evidence.

You have complained about price rises, but they are rising everywhere. If this was a UK only issue, then that wouldn't be happening.

Quite obviously, when Eurozone inflation is at a ten year high (as it is - https://www.euronews.com/2021/08/31/...a-10-year-high) then the issues about price rises are not solely, or even closely linked to the UK being outside the EU.

Talk calmly and I'll listen. Lecture me with anecdotal data and I wont, because I have friends who's wages are rising at the moment, and their anecdotal data counteracts yours. And they also don't insult me while they are at it.
    And another hyperlink. You can't stop yourself, can you? I did make it clear that civil discussion re. Brexit has got me absolutely nowhere since pre. 2016 so I've given up. I'm certainly not giving you access to PM me. I asked what you do for a living, you won't answer. You don't get to come on a public board, post, then want to slink off and have a private discussion when what you're doing is the easiest thing in the world. Googling and posting links.

Surely, and this is the last I'll say on this, talking to real people and listening to their concerns re. Brexit and it's effect in real-life situations is far more valuable than what you're doing?

You just parry with stuff you've searched for. You aren't listening, you're posting links. That's not discussion or argument.

Anyway. I can't be civil about Brexit anymore, but I can be civil as one person to another (pretending for a moment that this isn't about Brexit).

Of course, Covid has had a massive influence worldwide. That's going to take ages to recover from. Unfortunatley for the UK it happened right at the point we'd committed economical suicide.

That's me done. I wish you no harm, I hope you have a great day and live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    And another hyperlink. You can't stop yourself, can you? I did make it clear that civil discussion re. Brexit has got me absolutely nowhere since pre. 2016 so I've given up. I'm certainly not giving you access to PM me. I asked what you do for a living, you won't answer. You don't get to come on a public board, post, then want to slink off and have a private discussion when what you're doing is the easiest thing in the world. Googling and posting links.

Surely, and this is the last I'll say on this, talking to real people and listening to their concerns re. Brexit and it's effect in real-life situations is far more valuable than what you're doing?

You just parry with stuff you've searched for. You aren't listening, you're posting links. That's not discussion or argument.

Anyway. I can't be civil about Brexit anymore, but I can be civil as one person to another (pretending for a moment that this isn't about Brexit).

Of course, Covid has had a massive influence worldwide. That's going to take ages to recover from. Unfortunatley for the UK it happened right at the point we'd committed economical suicide.

That's me done. I wish you no harm, I hope you have a great day and live long and prosper.
    Jesus Christ! Posting hyperlinks is how you post evidence in an online forum.

You are saying Brexit is raising prices.

I am saying that price rises are happening everywhere, and faster in Europe, and posting links to data that evidences my point. I can describe in prose how price rises are rising in the eurozone if you like, but it's not as sensible as providing a link.

You aren't evidencing your point and you are being abusive with it.

That says a lot to me.

Take care and all the best.

Feedback

Sorry, since mid 2020.

Anecdotal evidence isn't refering to you.

If you can provide concrete evidence in terms of unemplyoment, inflation, GDP, wages, house prices, investment any such data that shows the UK doing worse than the EU since leaving the EU then I'm listening.

The data just doesn't really exist. What there is shows no real impact, shows some improvements and/or is anecdotal.

And all of this is largely irrelevent because COVID is the greatest skewer of economic data since WW2.

The point is - people saying food prices are rising 'cos of brexit' are largely wrong, because inflations is higher in the EU.
    One of the key drivers for the UK currently performing better than the EU is down to our take up of the vaccine and our economy getting back to normal. Parts of the EU are way behind.

Let's compare in 6 months when we are comparing apples with apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    One of the key drivers for the UK currently performing better than the EU is down to our take up of the vaccine and our economy getting back to normal. Parts of the EU are way behind.

in general our handling of the pandemic has been worse than the EU, and on vaccines a number of EU nations have overtaken us now haven't they?
    I think a few nations are already vaccinating children.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Ewww Tories don't talk to them. Ewww.
    Thankfully no problems in Wales no nasty Tories their or in Scotland they know what there doing .

So what, the blue passports are stunning! AnD wE got aRe cOuntRy BAcK.

Anybody else absolutely desperate by now to know what JamesWales does for a living? Seems very reluctant to share, I'm going with traffic warden or pimp

I agree. Covid completely skews economic data, whether it be good or bad.

All we really can do is compare the UK to other nations at this stage as broadly we have all been through the same

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    in general our handling of the pandemic has been worse than the EU, and on vaccines a number of EU nations have overtaken us now haven't they?
    I think a few nations are already vaccinating children.
    The UK is currently 14th in Europe when looking at Covid deaths per capita. There are 9 EU nations with a worse ratio.

In terms of the Vaccine, the speed we got it out with was very impressive. Others have caught up now but vaccines are a race (obviously).

I think the furlough scheme was pretty good too, although nearly every western country did a similar scheme

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers...nfirmed+deaths

Having now lived in the EU for the last 10 months, I don’t understand why many like for like items are so expensive in the UK other than taxation. There are items like cars & heating oil which are dearer but most day to day items, particularly food are much cheaper (& the shelves are full). Meat, fruit, veg, milk all considerably lower. The source from within the EU also seems to be wider than we were getting in the UK pre Brexit.

Diesel 95p / L, Guinness 60p a can, bought 9L fresh orange juice 40p. Even like for like items in IKEA are around 35% less

Pinched from Twitter

Fun fact.

Today Liz Truss boasted of a trade deal with Mexico worth, she claims, £50m.

That’s £10m a year shared between us and Mexico.

Or just 0.5% of the £2bn we’ve lost in food & drink exports to the EU in just 6 months.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Pinched from Twitter

Fun fact.

Or just 0.5% of the £2bn we’ve lost in food & drink exports to the EU in just 6 months.
    The good news just keeps rolling in

The good news just keeps rolling in
    Trade data is always volatile, especially with covid and brexit thrown in. However, the following quote from the ONS is quite striking.

"Exports of goods to the EU, excluding precious metals, were above pre-EU exit levels in May and June 2021; rising £1.2 billion (9.1%) to £14.1 billion in May 2021, followed by a further £0.2 billion (1.2%) to £14.3 billion in June 2021."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/natio...trade/june2021

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/202...brexit-levels/

Pinched from Twitter

Fun fact.

baby steps

onwards and upwards

Pinched from Twitter

Fun fact.

Putting Brexit aside, I can't help thinking that environmental concerns may eventually result in governments around the world levying higher tariffs/tariffs/fuel costs on goods coming from far off destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Putting Brexit aside, I can't help thinking that environmental concerns may eventually result in governments around the world levying higher tariffs/tariffs/fuel costs on goods coming from far off destinations.
    This is bound to happen and should happen. Makes total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    baby steps

onwards and upwards
    Out of curiosity, who is paying for and is being affected by these 'baby steps'?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    This is bound to happen and should happen. Makes total sense.
    The EU would become more appealing as a result, of course.......

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Out of curiosity, who is paying for and is being affected by these 'baby steps'?
    Well wages are up and unemployment is down, so it ain't the workers.

But as explained here, in May and June, total exports to the EU were up anyway on pre-brexit levels.

"Exports of goods to the EU, excluding precious metals, were above pre-EU exit levels in May and June 2021; rising £1.2 billion (9.1%) to £14.1 billion in May 2021, followed by a further £0.2 billion (1.2%) to £14.3 billion in June 2021."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/natio...trade/june2021

Yes, from an environmental perspective I think firms/countries will and should look to simplify the supply chain somewhat.

A lot was always made of how many EU lorries come daily to service UK car manufacturers, all travelling vast quantities across europe in both directions. Is that really sustainable? Is that really the best way to do business, to treat Warsaw as if its the same as Walsall?

The EU would become more appealing as a result, of course.......
    Damn! I walked into that one!

Well wages are up and unemployment is down, so it ain't the workers.
    Fantastic. I'll just bag myself a well paid job seeing as there are so many out there.