+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: food prices to rise

Re: food prices to rise

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I don't disagree. Some people are stuck in their ways on both sides.

The truth doesn't care how people voted in a one-off referendum five years ago mind.

The point is though that some people point to something negative in the UK and scream brexit, whereas if they spent 2 minutes googling stories from abroad they would very often realise the same issues there, and hence brexit clearly wasn't the cause, although it may have been a contributory factor.

I cant stand it. Move on.
    We are in dangerous waters economically following covid

I can't think of a worse time to have left a single market right on our doorstep

And it's because David Cameron was trying to control anti e u infighting in his own party

The people in poorer areas like the South Wales valleys who received big financial aid from Europe are going to suffer yet these turkeys have voted for Christmas 🎄

You can't really add anything to that

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We are in dangerous waters economically following covid

I can't think of a worse time to have left a single market right on our doorstep

And it's because David Cameron was trying to control anti e u infighting in his own party

The people in poorer areas like the South Wales valleys who received big financial aid from Europe are going to suffer yet these turkeys have voted for Christmas ��

You can't really add anything to that
    Various different theories on all this. Most notable perhaps is the fact that it actually changed very little in South Wales in the areas that received EU structural funds - relative to the rest of the UK and to other UK areas receiving it, we went backwards.

It's also a pretty insignificant amount. £300m or so a year. Around £100 per person in Wales, whereas total public spending is about £11,000 or 110 times greater. And of that £300m odd in structural funding, more was always paid in by the UK.

In effect: We paid them X, they took a cut and gave us Y back with loads of conditions. Having spent some of this money myself it is the most inefficiently resourced expenditure I have ever witnessed.

Needless to say, if the UK govt do not replicate and spend the money better then it is a net loss, but the questions still have to be asked how effective the spending was, and whether the restrictions on how it was spent arguably made Wales a less dynamic place to do business.

We shall soon find out..

Anyone who voted for this ****ing mess is an absolute shitcunt.

Makes me laugh (and slightly depresses me) when people try to shoe-horn Brexit into everything. It is a factor in lots of good and bad political and economic news, but it's rarely the defining feature, particularly compared to the pandemic.

Food prices are rising across the EU
    https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-f...-as-inflation/

There's been a huge rise in shipping costs. California has 44 ships waiting to dock
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...alifornia.html

Inflation is currently higher in the EU than the UK
    https://www.ft.com/content/2af45b20-...f-b4938edbe5c6

Why people don't do a bit of googling before blaming brexit just because they didn't vote for it 5 years ago, is beyond me.
    Any links to the good news please?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Anyone who voted for this ****ing mess is an absolute shitcunt.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Hi
    Shitcunt

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Shitcunt

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Any links to the good news please?
    There is loads of good news! Investment is up, unemployment is down, wages are well up.

Even the BBC reporting on it today!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58394903

Great to see wages in working class jobs rising, and if we have some temporary disruptions while our economy re-aligns itself then no bad thing.

There is loads of good news! Investment is up, unemployment is down, wages are well up.

Great to see wages in working class jobs rising, and if we have some temporary disruptions while our economy re-aligns itself then no bad thing.
    um that link doesn't read like a good news story to me?

Two people who are desperate to leave trucking and one who wants to join but has had months of delays.

Check back soon for even more good news! There's loads!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Two people who are desperate to leave trucking and one who wants to join but has had months of delays.

Check back soon for even more good news! There's loads!
    In one article: Wage Rises up, unemployment down, record job vacancies.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58241006

UK wage growth has never been this high in 25 years. Surely you care about that and think it's important?
    https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/wage-growth

Is that it? Is that the best you can come up with?

You didn't read that BBC article did you? Wages are going up because they can't attract people to do the job in the UK because the conditions are so sh*t. I'd love to know what you do for a living because this world of which you speak is just not the same one I live in.

You'll be saying the Unicorn population is thriving next.

What do you do for a living? Do you run your own business or are you in the public sector? Are you highly skilled e.g. a neurologist? Do you need to work for long periods in Europe or are you in a desk job in Ebbw Vale? Do you export your products or skills? Do you only buy British? Are you typing on a British piece of tech or is it designed and manufactured on the other side of the world and shipped in? Will you only buy British cars, flags, sausages?

Unemployment rising would be great if it was rising in highly skilled areas and directly contributing to production.

I'm sick to death of people who voted for Brexit, f*cked it up and made life difficult for millions, and then come on football message boards and still try and sell their pathetic, idealogical, selfish crap years after nothing good has come of it (except some vacuous propaganda puked out by our pathetic government).

And no. I'm not up for discussing this stuff civilly anymore. Did that approach make my life better? No, it didn't. Yeah, food prices are up, but everything is up and it was heading that way before Covid. Not just food, every piece of tech and software I use professionally is massively more expensive. Everything I need to do is massively more difficult and expensive. And, yes, I hold people who voted for Brexit entirely responsible. You don't get a free pass anymore.

Wages going up in sh*t jobs is great, is it? They're still sh*t jobs. Ask people if they'd like to do them. Working-class? We're all f*cking working class unless you're born into money. Are you born into money? We're all f*cking working-class idiots making sh*t loads of money for people like Dyson who f*cks off to Singapore.

I'm sick of it.

In one article: Wage Rises up, unemployment down, record job vacancies.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58241006

UK wage growth has never been this high in 25 years. Surely you care about that and think it's important?
    I don't know how closely you read these, but there is a big disclaimer about wage growth in both of the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Is that it? Is that the best you can come up with?

You didn't read that BBC article did you? Wages are going up because they can't attract people to do the job in the UK because the conditions are so sh*t. I'd love to know what you do for a living because this world of which you speak is just not the same one I live in.

You'll be saying the Unicorn population is thriving next.

What do you do for a living? Do you run your own business or are you in the public sector? Are you highly skilled e.g. a neurologist? Do you need to work for long periods in Europe or are you in a desk job in Ebbw Vale? Do you export your products or skills? Do you only buy British? Are you typing on a British piece of tech or is it designed and manufactured on the other side of the world and shipped in? Will you only buy British cars, flags, sausages?

Unemployment rising would be great if it was rising in highly skilled areas and directly contributing to production.

I'm sick to death of people who voted for Brexit, f*cked it up and made life difficult for millions, and then come on football message boards and still try and sell their pathetic, idealogical, selfish crap years after nothing good has come of it (except some vacuous propaganda puked out by our pathetic government).

And no. I'm not up for discussing this stuff civilly anymore. Did that approach make my life better? No, it didn't. Yeah, food prices are up, but everything is up and it was heading that way before Covid. Not just food, every piece of tech and software I use professionally is massively more expensive. Everything I need to do is massively more difficult and expensive. And, yes, I hold people who voted for Brexit entirely responsible. You don't get a free pass anymore.

Wages going up in sh*t jobs is great, is it? They're still sh*t jobs. Ask people if they'd like to do them. Working-class? We're all f*cking working class unless you're born into money. Are you born into money? We're all f*cking working-class idiots making sh*t loads of money for people like Dyson who f*cks off to Singapore.

I'm sick of it.
    Selfish. So because costs in your sector are up thats it?

You dont care that inflation is HIGHER in the EU?
    You dont care that unemployment is falling?
    You dont care that wages are rising?

Producer prices are rising the fastest in the EU in 26 years!
    Costs of global shipping have tripled.
    Quite obviously, these are factors beyond Brexit.
    https://tradingeconomics.com/euro-area/producer-prices

I don't know how closely you read these, but there is a big disclaimer about wage growth in both of the links.
    So you take anecdotal and temporary information about food prices rising more than official statistics?

He doesn't read them and if he does he certainly doesn't understand them. Just a hyperlink junky.

Selfish. So because costs in your sector are up thats it?

You dont care that inflation is HIGHER in the EU?
    You dont care that unemployment is falling?
    You dont care that wages are rising?
    What do you do for a living then we'll discuss. You don't get to deflect. Whataboutery is pathetic. What is your job and does Brexit make it easier or more difficult?

He doesn't read them and if he does he certainly doesn't understand them. Just a hyperlink junky.
    I'm posting articles and raw data sourced from national statistics.

The fact that you cant see any benefit in workers wages rising or unemployment falling says it all.

You aren't.

So you take anecdotal and temporary information about food prices rising more than official statistics?
    I'm talking about the links you sent.

One says that wage increase is because they are being compared to 12 months ago when many people were on furlough and receiving less than their full wage.

The other says that low paying jobs have been disappearing, which pushes the average up.

I'm talking about the links you sent.

One says that wage increase is because they are being compared to 12 months ago when many people were on furlough and receiving less than their full wage.

The other says that low paying jobs have been disappearing, which pushes the average up.
    Wage rises have been consistently rising since early 2020.

The point is:

If you think food prices rising are only down to Brexit, you are wrong. Inflation is rising faster in the EU.

If you think Brexit has bought no economic benefits, you are wrong. There is ample evidence.

All of this is impossible to analysis properly through the lens of covid, but I am tired of people using anecdotal evidence against official data.

I'm posting articles and raw data sourced from national statistics.

The fact that you cant see any benefit in workers wages rising or unemployment falling says it all.

You aren't.
    What do you do for a living? I'm willing to talk about real-life examples as opposed to trawling the internet for selective arguments. I'll discuss real-life issues here. You don't need to post any more links because I know how to use Google and can do all of that sh*t when I'm not on CCMB. I'm here right now. Feel free to answer my questions.

The point is:

If you think food prices rising are only down to Brexit, you are wrong. Inflation is rising faster in the EU.

If you think Brexit has bought no economic benefits, you are wrong. There is ample evidence.

Firstly, it took most of 2020 to get wage rises back to pre Covid levels, so to say we've had wage rises since early 2020 is more than misleading. It's also worth mentioning that wages in some sectors have been forced to rise because of a lack of migrant workers. Meanwhile, supermarkets have been proactive in trying to bear the brunt of massively rising costs but that much larger price rises are going to be inevitable.

The point is:

All of this is impossible to analysis properly through the lens of covid, but I am tired of people using anecdotal evidence against official data.

This is on the link you sent. It doesn't show wages rising since early 2020.

I'm a bit tired of you saying I'm using anecdotal evidence when all I've done is refer to your links!
    graph.jpg

What do you do for a living? I'm willing to talk about real-life examples as opposed to trawling the internet for selective arguments. I'll discuss real-life issues here. You don't need to post any more links because I know how to use Google and can do all of that sh*t when I'm not on CCMB. I'm here right now. Feel free to answer my questions.
    I'll private message you if you change your settings. No way am I entering a public slanging match when you don't seem open to listening.

We all have anecdotal evidence. Every policy every govt has ever made will impact positively on some and negatively on others. The point is to look at the collective evidence.

You have complained about price rises, but they are rising everywhere. If this was a UK only issue, then that wouldn't be happening.

Quite obviously, when Eurozone inflation is at a ten year high (as it is - https://www.euronews.com/2021/08/31/...a-10-year-high) then the issues about price rises are not solely, or even closely linked to the UK being outside the EU.

Talk calmly and I'll listen. Lecture me with anecdotal data and I wont, because I have friends who's wages are rising at the moment, and their anecdotal data counteracts yours. And they also don't insult me while they are at it.

This is on the link you sent. It doesn't show wages rising since early 2020.

I'm a bit tired of you saying I'm using anecdotal evidence when all I've done is refer to your links!
    graph.jpg
    Sorry, since mid 2020.

Anecdotal evidence isn't refering to you.

If you can provide concrete evidence in terms of unemplyoment, inflation, GDP, wages, house prices, investment any such data that shows the UK doing worse than the EU since leaving the EU then I'm listening.

The data just doesn't really exist. What there is shows no real impact, shows some improvements and/or is anecdotal.

And all of this is largely irrelevent because COVID is the greatest skewer of economic data since WW2.

The point is - people saying food prices are rising 'cos of brexit' are largely wrong, because inflations is higher in the EU.