+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: Josh Murphy to Preston on a season long loan

Re: Confirmed: Josh Murphy to Preston on a season long loan

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    of course it was a terrible buy, it was obvious at the time. an awful signing.
    comfortably the worst purchase we've ever made which is saying something
    Semantics I know but!

I don't think he was a terrible buy - I think it was a terrible deal

I think on paper it was a good signing if it was circa £0.5-1m. I think he showed some glimpses of what he could do at times and did suit us at that time

There's a difference. The terrible buys are ones that;

a) were never going to play
    b) never fitted into a style

There are a handful of bad buys but hell of a lot more of bad deals

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As the man who spent all of that money on someone who turned out to be a dud st City, Warnock would try to make the terms Madine went to Sheffield United under sound as attractive as possible wouldn’t he.

Your last sentence rather says it all about the way you come at things. If some other Championship side had paid £6 million for a striker who never scored a goal in the twenty six appearances (and that’s only league matches) he made for them and missed a penalty in a top of the table game with the eventual Champions, you wouldn’t be saying “ah, but he got an assist at Sheffield United” about him, you’d be laying into the player and the team daft enough to pay all that money for him.

The only way Gary Madine’s signing represented “good value” is if you truly believe we wouldn’t have gone up if we hadn’t signed him - apart from that one, valuable, assist at Bramell Lane, Madine contributed nothing towards our promotion.
    By getting promotion to the Premier League, our turnover went up from £34m to £122m. The total paid out by Warnock in transfers to get there, including Madine, was about £10.5m. If that isn't good value for money, I don't know what is. Madine played in 13 games in the promotion run in and therefore contributed fully including ‘that’ assist. To just state that is all he did is plain nonsense. The penalty he ‘missed’ against Wolves was actually saved by the keeper (Hoilett missed his but no one ever mentions that). We still went up anyway. At the time we signed Madine, we had no fit strikers and Bolton didn't want to sell, so we had to pay an inflated fee, which is standard for the January window. Sam Vokes went from Burnley to Stoke for £9m in the same window for gods sake. Accusing Warnock of lying about the loan terms is silly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    By getting promotion to the Premier League, our turnover went up from £34m to £122m. The total paid out by Warnock in transfers to get there, including Madine, was about £10.5m. If that isn't good value for money, I don't know what is. Madine played in 13 games in the promotion run in and therefore contributed fully including ‘that’ assist. To just state that is all he did is plain nonsense. The penalty he ‘missed’ against Wolves was actually saved by the keeper (Hoilett missed his but no one ever mentions that). We still went up anyway. At the time we signed Madine, we had no fit strikers and Bolton didn't want to sell, so we had to pay an inflated fee, which is standard for the January window. Sam Vokes went from Burnley to Stoke for £9m in the same window for gods sake. Accusing Warnock of lying about the loan terms is silly as well.
    Tend to agree with inflated fees

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Fair play to dml here.

He seems to have knowledge of a loan fee for Madine that the press (or anybody else) couldn't get hold of, knows that 50% of Josh Murphy's wages are being paid by Preston and his relatives know exactly how much the bonus was that Sheffield United paid.

Hats off to the lad. He's got his finger on the pulse.
    Preston paying 50% of Murphy's wages has been released elsewhere and discussed. The link confirming money changed hands for Madine’s loan has already been released. My relatives are season ticket holders at Sheffield United and their manager confirmed the incentivised promotion bonus that Warnock referred to. Wind your neck in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not quite. I have always ridiculed your claim that City got a ‘large loan fee’ for Gary Madine that you have previously suggested was well in excess of £1 million.

I note you are now stating the loan fee figure (should one exist) has never been released, which differs somewhat from your previous claims
    So you are now finally admitting that Sheffield United paid fees and full wages to City for Madine’s loan. Thats progress anyway, having previously stated on numerous occasions that we didn't get anything. How much do you think they paid in promotion incentive then - £50, £100 ? You asked for a link and I gave you one. Now you are floundering around trying to save face.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Reacting like that just makes you as big a bully on this board as TLG and blue lewj.

Reacting like that just makes you as big a bully on this board as TLG and blue lewj.
    Bullies?

Are you not the one who called me a Jack and invited anybody that question the club to support somebody else?

So you are now finally admitting that Sheffield United paid fees and full wages to City for Madine’s loan. Thats progress anyway, having previously stated on numerous occasions that we didn't get anything. How much do you think they paid in promotion incentive then - £50, £100 ? You asked for a link and I gave you one. Now you are floundering around trying to save face.
    Did Sheffield Utd pay some or most of Madine’s wages? Of course they did. That’s how loans normally work. Did they pay all of his wages? I don’t know, but I’d say it’s entirely possible.

Did Sheffield Utd pay Cardiff City a promotion ‘bonus’ of some description? That’s possible. What sort of sum would have been involved if they did? Like you, I have no idea.

Did Sheffield Utd pay Cardiff City a ‘large loan fee’ for Madine in excess of £1 million, as you have previously claimed? Not a chance.

Do you have relatives who are Sheffield Utd season ticket holders and who are acquainted with Chris Wilder, who gave them financial details of the Madine loan deal, which they in turn passed on to you? Don’t be so ridiculous.

Did Sheffield Utd pay some or most of Madine’s wages? Of course they did. That’s how loans normally work. Did they pay all of his wages? I don’t know, but I’d say it’s entirely possible.

Did Sheffield Utd pay Cardiff City a promotion ‘bonus’ of some description? That’s possible. What sort of sum would have been involved if they did? Like you, I have no idea.

Did Sheffield Utd pay Cardiff City a ‘large loan fee’ for Madine in excess of £1 million, as you have previously claimed? Not a chance.

Do you have relatives who are Sheffield Utd season ticket holders and who are acquainted with Chris Wilder, who gave them financial details of the Madine loan deal, which they in turn passed on to you? Don’t be so ridiculous.
    it's all a moot point, even if they had paid us 2 million it was still a terrible signing

You do make me chuckle at times. Where did I accuse Warnock of lying? What I wanted to get over is that having paid a fortune for a dud, he was bound to put the most favourable spin he could on the loan deal, that’s not saying he lied.

Even as I typed Madine missed his penalty, I knew you’d be back with your he didn’t miss it, the goalkeeper saved it line - he and Hoilett didn’t score from those penalties, therefore they missed them, Madine doesn’t get a quarter of a goal because his weak effort would’ve gone in if there wasn’t a goalkeeper there.

Getting all agitated about me saying Madine did nothing except that one assist doesn’t disguise your failure to address my point about whether we would have gone up if we hadn’t signed Madine - of course we would and we didn’t need him to get all of that extra money.

By the way, Zohore came back from his injury on Boxing Day 2017 in the 4-2 home defeat by Fulham - Pilkington was also around that January, so it’s not true to say we had no fit forwards when we signed Madine.

Would be lovely if a thread could be discussed without bickering between the usual culprits

My relatives in Yorkshire have indicated that the the incentive payment was around £500000 if United went up (which they did) and on top of that there were his wages...
    “My relatives”… 🤣🤣

You do make me chuckle at times. Where did I accuse Warnock of lying? What I wanted to get over is that having paid a fortune for a dud, he was bound to put the most favourable spin he could on the loan deal, that’s not saying he lied.

Even as I typed Madine missed his penalty, I knew you’d be back with your he didn’t miss it, the goalkeeper saved it line - he and Hoilett didn’t score from those penalties, therefore they missed them, Madine doesn’t get a quarter of a goal because his weak effort would’ve gone in if there wasn’t a goalkeeper there.

Getting all agitated about me saying Madine did nothing except that one assist doesn’t disguise your failure to address my point about whether we would have gone up if we hadn’t signed Madine - of course we would and we didn’t need him to get all of that extra money.

By the way, Zohore came back from his injury on Boxing Day 2017 in the 4-2 home defeat by Fulham - Pilkington was also around that January, so it’s not true to say we had no fit forwards when we signed Madine.
    Again, I can’t be sure, but I seem to remember Warnock saying something along the lines that signing Madine had kicked Zohore up the *rse that is to say, Warnock implied it was a brilliant strategy of his to get Kenneth fired up.

Also, don’t assume he would have scored even if there hadn’t been a goalkeeper! 😉

So, in your book, any fee paid to a club as part of a loan deal for a player, is not a loan fee if it is paid at the end of the loan as part of an incentivised loan agreement. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds. All that I have ever said is that City received in excess of £1m for loaning Madine to Sheffield United in 2019 and you have been denying that happened ever since. Next, you don't think it is possible that any fan of Cardiff City can possibly have relatives or friends who support other clubs. You are deluded. My wife was born in Yorkshire and we have relatives and friends there who that we visit regularly. Please show me where I said anyone knew Chris Wilder or that he personally gave them details of the loan deal- you are making that up, as usual. It is possible for bona fide fans of clubs to get information about their club without knocking on the managers door and having a cup of tea with him. After all, you have been claiming inside information about City for years without actually being a fan or going to games. Have you been making it up all this time ?

Madine wasn’t here in 2017.

Edit - yes he was I misread your post.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    I'm quite happy to see him loaned out as his patchy form could easily be at least emulated by one of the youngsters Harris, Colwill even Taz Mayembe.

It's so satisfying seeing youngsters progressing and getting game time. I also don't think there's a magic formulae to some of the clubs known to be a hot bed of producing youngsters - I think circumstance and finances forced them to play them - and that's the only way they are going to improve - getting first team football with better more experienced pros.
    What's happened with Taz?

You don’t like being proved wrong, do you. Makes you look and feel particularly stupid doesn't it, after all this time lording it over this board and its members. FACT - we got over £1m from Sheffield United for Gary Madine’s loan.
    That’s ok then, what a steal he was eh??

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Would be lovely if a thread could be discussed without bickering between the usual culprits
    THIS!!

So, in your book, any fee paid to a club as part of a loan deal for a player, is not a loan fee if it is paid at the end of the loan as part of an incentivised loan agreement. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds. All that I have ever said is that City received in excess of £1m for loaning Madine to Sheffield United in 2019 and you have been denying that happened ever since.
    Seems your memory is fading, old boy. What you actually said (on 14/10/2019 at 12:29) was: "We received a reported seven figure loan fee for Madine from Sheffield United last season plus a seven figure bonus for him when Sheffield Utd got promotion. Our net outlay on him is therefore considerably reduced and not bad value considering we got promotion with him in the squad and he contributed a number of assists, including to the equaliser at Sheffield United, without which we would not have gone up automatically."

Indeed, in this very thread (at 10:38), you said: "Sheffield United did pay a large loan fee for Madine plus a bonus when they went up."

You've never managed to produce any evidence whatsoever that your claims are accurate. Meanwhile, you've desperately tried to move the goalposts several times today by claiming the "reported seven figure loan fee" was in fact an undisclosed sum that has never been released, and then by suggesting the £1 million-plus 'large loan fee' you conjured up out of thin air in October 2019 actually comprised of Madine's wages, a loan fee and a promotion bonus.

Credit where it's due, you're entertaining in a weird sort of a way. However, I must confess I've yet to determine whether dml1954 is actually a spoof account or not. I strongly suspect it is and you're just having a laugh. After all, nobody could say the things you do on a regular basis and be serious, could they?

anyway, what about that loan eh? that was a turn up for the books

Yes, I was amazed Sheffield United wanted him.

Josh Murphy, you say? Decent move for him, and not just that, my relatives who live in Preston have told me that if Preston get promotion, then the club are in for 11 million, could work out to be a brilliant bit of business from Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Josh Murphy, you say? Decent move for him, and not just that, my relatives who live in Preston have told me that if Preston get promotion, then the club are in for 11 million, could work out to be a brilliant bit of business from Warnock.
    Plus the huge loan fee and 7 figure promotion bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Plus the huge loan fee and 7 figure promotion bonus!
    I also have more family in Blackpool. The Wintle deal would blow your mind.