Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: Josh Murphy to Preston on a season long loan

Confirmed: Josh Murphy to Preston on a season long loan

As it says in the title

First Team

Re: Confirmed: Josh Murphy to Preston on a season long loan

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    As it says in the title
    Whilst IMHO he has been a disaster of a signing, does anyone else feel if any offer comes in for anything they will get rid?

The club hierarchy needs to explain some to us poor punters methinks.

he'll probably tear it up at Preston.
    talented player but never worked out for him here.
    can't help thinking that the way we play didn't help.
    but for the fee and the wages he's rumoured to be on he should have been one of our main men, and he's never managed to be that.
    he probably wasn't going to get a game so makes sense for someone else to pay him

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Whilst IMHO he has been a disaster of a signing, does anyone else feel if any offer comes in for anything they will get rid?

The club hierarchy needs to explain some to us poor punters methinks.
    no they made it known he was available on loan

Very overrated

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he'll probably tear it up at Preston.
    talented player but never worked out for him here.
    can't help thinking that the way we play didn't help.
    but for the fee and the wages he's rumoured to be on he should have been one of our main men, and he's never managed to be that.
    he probably wasn't going to get a game so makes sense for someone else to pay him
    At least he won't be able to embarrass us in our games v Preston (this season at least).

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Very overrated
    This. Reading “there’s a player in there” all over Twitter and think people are forgetting the many opportunities he’s been given by three different managers and failed to take. Looked half arsed a lot of the time too.

Would barely have played this season I don’t think so getting his wages off the wage bill for a year not the worst thing in the world tbh

I would argue the fact you had to find a third goal from his previous club speaks volumes about his three years at the club

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I would argue the fact you had to find a third goal from his previous club speaks volumes about his three years at the club

Was going to upload this one:

https://youtu.be/Q4IeEULH1ak?t=3

Mick McCarthy could not have made it more clear that there is no place for wingers in his Cardiff City team (I believe he actually came out and said it at one of his media meetings last season). As someone who was whingeing about our under achieving wingers around this time last year, I don't believe they're any great loss and that Giles, although not as eye catching in terms of ability to go past people, is both more adaptable and has better delivery than any of those who have moved on (to be fair to Hoilett, much of his loss of effectiveness stemmed from the ageing process).

It's sad, but entirely understandable, to see Murphy leave - he was supposed to be here for four season, was quite effective in the first of them, but never had the full trust of the man who signed him (probably because Warnock expected wingers to be defenders as much as they were attackers) and, in the next two campaigns, he looked and played like someone who'd rather be somewhere else despite being given plenty of chances by Neil Harris in particular.

The odds are that Murphy has played his last game for City, we may possibly manage to get a fee for him in January, but it seems to me that he's going to become the latest, and most expensive, in a series of players who cost us millions and ended up leaving us for nothing with the difference in this case that Murphy was of an age where he had a good resale value if we decided to cash in on him.

Instead, a player who I can remember being tipped as an outsider for an England squad place when he first came here ended up being unable to get into a pretty ordinary Championship team and, let's be honest, he wasn't worth a place in our team over the past couple of years or so was he?

A brilliant player on his day.

Unfortunately he averaged one day a season

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    A brilliant player on his day.

Unfortunately he averaged one day a season
    And not always on a match day.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    😂

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    😂😂😂

A damp squibb and such a let down after the euphoria of that home game against Real Betis.

if Preston have picked up his full wage, and the wage is something like £25k per week (as was stated on that dubious list that was circulating) then that saves us about £1 million come the end of the season.

Be interesting to see how he gets on there.

Can't think of too many more frustrating players, been what 3 years of wondering if today will be the day he really looks the player we hoped for.

Good luck to him, hope he enjoys his football there as he certainly doesn't seem to have here.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    This. Reading “there’s a player in there” all over Twitter and think people are forgetting the many opportunities he’s been given by three different managers and failed to take. Looked half arsed a lot of the time too.

Would barely have played this season I don’t think so getting his wages off the wage bill for a year not the worst thing in the world tbh
    Stealing a living, after all these years I’m still not sure what he can do?

Does he need a lift up there ?

Jon Parkin only seems to interview City players he has direct connection to but Josh Murphy is one I'd like to hear from as soon as possible.

High ceiling of talent, nice man off the pitch but has played 99 times for us and I'd estimate that has done well in a small handful (15? 10?) of those games.

He'll likely do well at Preston but I'd like to know his thoughts on why it didn't work out here.

Had more than enough chances.

Do think he’s a good player with a poor poor attitude

He was my son’s favourite player and it now leaves us looking ever more ordinary and workmanlike.

Cornelius or Murphy as our biggest flop?

Other signings have failed badly but the club has not wasted so much money on them.

Very frustrating.

Every club has a Josh or Tomlin its about attitude and commitment, yes you can blame those who sign these players but let's be honest we all get happy clappy at the time or when they show glimpses of brilliance.