+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: Josh Murphy to Preston on a season long loan

Re: Confirmed: Josh Murphy to Preston on a season long loan

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Cornelius or Murphy as our biggest flop?

Other signings have failed badly but the club has not wasted so much money on them.

Very frustrating.
    Tough one.

Cornelius never looked like a footballer but Murphy had more time

Still think the right manager can get a lot out of Murphy

the £1 million quid or so we might be saving in loaning him out might make the difference in being able to afford to keep Morrison or Ralls next season.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Tough one.

Cornelius never looked like a footballer but Murphy had more time

Still think the right manager can get a lot out of Murphy
    we never played to Cornelius' strengths.
    we saw he was 6 foot 5 so we proceeded to launch the ball at his head from 40 yards away and expected him to hold it up and bully the opposing defence.
    he just isn't that sort of player, he likes to run into balls in the channels.
    we made similar mistakes with Ken Zohore. just because they're big doesn't mean they're a battering ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the £1 million quid or so we might be saving in loaning him out might make the difference in being able to afford to keep Morrison or Ralls next season.
    Also, we are probably getting a loan fee for him from Preston.

Does seem odd in a position we are so short in but I guess the writing was on the wall as he hasn't been used this season. I can only assume MM thinks one of the younger lads has more to otter.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Im not sure about that

Like that massive loan fee City got from Sheffield United for Gary Madine? You know, the one you imagined.....

As for a loan fee for Murphy, don't be so daft.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Like that massive loan fee City got from Sheffield United for Gary Madine? You know, the one you imagined.....

it's a stretch to imagine they're picking up the full wage, let alone paying us a fee on top.
    even then it's still a sensible decision imo

if Preston have picked up his full wage, and the wage is something like £25k per week (as was stated on that dubious list that was circulating) then that saves us about £1 million come the end of the season.
    I very much doubt that Preston are paying anywhere near his full wages.

it's a stretch to imagine they're picking up the full wage, let alone paying us a fee on top. even then it's still a sensible decision imo
    Agreed. McCarthy isn't going to give him a game, so any saving is worthwhile.

Agreed. McCarthy isn't going to give him a game, so any saving is worthwhile.
    Not just MM not many managers would as he lacks commitment, just another over paid gravy train footballer .

I'm sure someone would play him if he delivered consistently.

Wish Tomlin had gone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    This. Reading “there’s a player in there” all over Twitter and think people are forgetting the many opportunities he’s been given by three different managers and failed to take. Looked half arsed a lot of the time too.

Would barely have played this season I don’t think so getting his wages off the wage bill for a year not the worst thing in the world tbh
    Agree with the move, but I don't think the 3 managers that have given him an opportunity have used him correctly. Why did Warnock spend so much on a player that doesn't track back and play defender and attacker simultaneously.. Its not his fault he was bought by a manager that can't have scouted him to know how he plays... Could have made more of his chances but it all falls back to the type of player he is (and isn't)

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I very much doubt that Preston are paying anywhere near his full wages.
    my Preston supporting mate reckons probably about half the wage seems about right for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Agree with the move, but I don't think the 3 managers that have given him an opportunity have used him correctly. Why did Warnock spend so much on a player that doesn't track back and play defender and attacker simultaneously.. Its not his fault he was bought by a manager that can't have scouted him to know how he plays... Could have made more of his chances but it all falls back to the type of player he is (and isn't)
    I agree to an extent. Murphy would no doubt do better in a team on the front foot, set up to utilise wingers regularly and where he can forget about defensive responsibilities but even in games where we did set up like that he would often fail to deliver. I just don’t think he’s very good personally. He might score 10 goals for Preston this season but I’d still think the same. Harris was nowhere near as direct as the other 2 but he still failed to make an impact.

For all the benefit of the doubt he gets about the fact 2 of the managers he played under were NW and MM, you can force your way into their team with the right attitude and doing the tough work they want you to do but he never seemed to have it in him to try for me.

I guess the fact he went out on loan so late suggests they were trying to sell him all summer but barely had any offers.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I agree to an extent. Murphy would no doubt do better in a team on the front foot, set up to utilise wingers regularly and where he can forget about defensive responsibilities but even in games where we did set up like that he would often fail to deliver. I just don’t think he’s very good personally. He might score 10 goals for Preston this season but I’d still think the same. Harris was nowhere near as direct as the other 2 but he still failed to make an impact.

For all the benefit of the doubt he gets about the fact 2 of the managers he played under were NW and MM, you can force your way into their team with the right attitude and doing the tough work they want you to do but he never seemed to have it in him to try for me.

I guess the fact he went out on loan so late suggests they were trying to sell him all summer but barely had any offers.
    I'm not sure I've seen us set up in the way you say for quite some time?

I'm not sure I agree about the way Warnock uses wingers.
    I don't think he asks for an excessive amount of tracking back from them, and he gives them license to take on their man time and time again. if they lose the ball it isn't a big deal unlike in some systems, and if they beat their man the team are often "in"
    what playing in a Warnock team does mean is you're playing on the break a lot, are going to be isolated, when you get the ball it's going to be at head hight hurtling towards you from 40 yards away, and you'll either beat your man or lose it and then you might not see the ball for another 10 minutes.
    some players do well in that role - I e. NML. others I think need to feel their way into a game and need to be constantly involved more to play well

I'm not sure I've seen us set up in the way you say for quite some time?
    There were a few games against teams below us under Harris we’d be on the front foot a lot more than we are these days but yeah not for a while now. Not that it excuses him, just look at how Giles has started in a MM team.

It's a sensible decision, as he's not going to play but I dont think it affects Morrison or Ralls etc. I imagine they're just saving as much money as possible. I fully expect a major clear out in the summer.

You haven't got a clue whether we have or haven't received a loan fee for Murphy, know-all. Sheffield United did pay a large loan fee for Madine plus a bonus when they went up. It was publicised at the time and I have relatives in Sheffield who are United fans and they confirmed it to me. Prove they didnt, Otherwise, jog on.

Would have liked Murphy to be tried as a striker.

That’s got to be his last game for us

You haven't got a clue whether we have or haven't received a loan fee for Murphy, know-all. Sheffield United did pay a large loan fee for Madine plus a bonus when they went up. It was publicised at the time and I have relatives in Sheffield who are United fans and they confirmed it to me. Prove they didnt, Otherwise, jog on.
    You've been asked to prove that Sheffield United paid a 'large loan fee' for Gary Madine on a number of occasions. You've never managed to do so. That's because the story is fiction.

As for Preston paying a loan fee for Murphy, that's also fiction. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would realise that.

You've been asked to prove that Sheffield United paid a 'large loan fee' for Gary Madine on a number of occasions. You've never managed to do so. That's because the story is fiction.

As for Preston paying a loan fee for Murphy, that's also fiction. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would realise that.
    So, you cant prove that City didn't get a loan fee for Madine. You also have no idea whether City have got a loan fee for Murphy or not. And yet you state categorically that not paying a loan fee in both situations are facts. You then have the gall to accuse me of lying. Really, you have a grossly inflated opinion about yourself, your knowledge of Cardiff City and your general importance in life. I think you need help, honestly.

Although sharing the perception that he usually appears to be disinterested and uncommitted when he plays for City, I'll remind folks that he has a TWIN who plays for Newcastle.

It would be fair to say that Jacob Murphy has been in and out of the Newcastle team (in, at the mo) and loaned out a few times. But when I've seen him play, he appears to be far more committed than Josh - and is prepared to track back, being described as a winger/wingback. But, I've checked the Newcastle fan's forum and they are scathing about his defending ("on another planet" being one of the printable comments) - although fairly complimentary about his crosses and dead-ball kicks.

Interestingly, he plays on the right side, whereas Josh has been used mainly on the opposite side. He appears to be trusted now by Bruce, as he played 27 times for Newcastle last season.

Both twins were good enough to be called up for young-England teams.

Not advocating that we keep him (far from it), just wondering if it might have been an option to play him on the right.

Really, you have a grossly inflated opinion about yourself, your knowledge of Cardiff City and your general importance in life. I think you need help, honestly.
    Physician, heal thyself.

So, you cant prove that City didn't get a loan fee for Madine. You also have no idea whether City have got a loan fee for Murphy or not. And yet you state categorically that not paying a loan fee in both situations are facts. You then have the gall to accuse me of lying. Really, you have a grossly inflated opinion about yourself, your knowledge of Cardiff City and your general importance in life. I think you need help, honestly.
    Go on then. Find a link with info about Madine's loan fee. You're the one claiming it.

I could imagine you as a lawyer...."Yes, the defendant did kill the man. How do I know that? Because I do. It's up to you to prove he didn't"....