+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: One reason why religion is a load of bollox.

Re: One reason why religion is a load of bollox.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    So, basically, this is all about your experience, not the wider population, people with a whole host of thoughts, beliefs, interpretations, experiences, occupations, political beliefs etc. I thought that we were exploring the nuanced shades of faith, rather than the sludge factory show.
    The thread started with why religion is bullshit

And for the general population it appears that it is

There are always a number of semi believers or full time church types on threads like this but most people seem to agree its nonsense and I think my experience of being brought up a church goer ......without any choice .......and rejecting religion .....is an almost universal one

It's certainly reflected in young people in 2021 , there seems to be little mass clamour for a place in church on a Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Religion is the cause of most wars and atrocities around the world.
    I'd say money is.

Hmmm..people do good for many different reasons. Some, because it gives them pleasure or can make them look good. Although, does it matter, as long as the 'goodness' is beneficial to those in need?
    Very very few people do something for nothing , it's almost always to get them something , impress someone , deal with guilt

I am afraid that's the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Aye but religious folks only do good deeds to curry favour with their (non-existent) deity of choice not necessarily because they recognize the inherent goodness in their acts

Not all of them do.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Very very few people do something for nothing , it's almost always to get them something , impress someone , deal with guilt

I am afraid that's the way it is
    I disagree with you.

Lots of people volunteer for a sense of community, to help those less fortunate and because its the right thing to do.

I volunteer in a church run food bank. I'm not religious but the people there are, its the closest one to me. I don't do a lot, just a few deliveries and I don't feel good for doing it, its a personality trait for me. I like volunteering.

The others are doing it for people less fortunate and the state doesn't support them, not because they want a fast track upstairs or to absolve guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I disagree with you.

Lots of people volunteer for a sense of community, to help those less fortunate and because its the right thing to do.

I volunteer in a church run food bank. I'm not religious but the people there are, its the closest one to me. I don't do a lot, just a few deliveries and I don't feel good for doing it, its a personality trait for me. I like volunteering.

The others are doing it for people less fortunate and the state doesn't support them, not because they want a fast track upstairs or to absolve guilt.
    So they are not doing it for nothing , it's to get a sense of community ......so they are doing it for something then

The others are doing it to feel better , because they think it's the right thing to do

Others volunteer to keep themselves busy , nothing wrong with that but it's not doing something for nothing

If there are religious people involved in something like a food bank some of them may do it because they are good people but others will do it because they think doing good things is what being a Christian is all about

Which is clearly not true as loads of people do good things who have no interest in God

Yes, there are likely to be a variety of viewpoints on all sides.

Clearly some religious people believe non-believers are capable of doing good things or they wouldn’t collaborate and seek common ground: https://humanists.uk/community/dialogue-with-others/

Religion was "invented", to explain what science of the time could not.
    It is no coincidence that the religions that grew up in hot countries forbid pork and shellfish, these go off quickly so the elders/priests declared that they were forbidden by god.

We can now explain most things by science, so religion becomes obsolete.
    But many believers will never change their views.
    It is pointless getting into an argument over religion.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Religion was "invented", to explain what science of the time could not.
    It is no coincidence that the religions that grew up in hot countries forbid pork and shellfish, these go off quickly so the elders/priests declared that they were forbidden by god.

We can now explain most things by science, so religion becomes obsolete.
    But many believers will never change their views.
    It is pointless getting into an argument over religion.
    Makes a lot of sense.

Also, however it came about, I think for many people religion is also hope, something to cling to when things aren't great etc. If something in their head helps them through a situation then all the heat to them I'm not going to argue against it, why would I want to take that away from someone!!

They are causing me no harm, leave them to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Makes a lot of sense.

Also, however it came about, I think for many people religion is also hope, something to cling to when things aren't great etc. If something in their head helps them through a situation then all the heat to them I'm not going to argue against it, why would I want to take that away from someone!!

They are causing me no harm, leave them to it.
    Sometimes, i envy people who believe that when all of this madness is finished with, they will be going to a place of peace, happiness and tranquillity. Nice thought if you truly believe it, must be comforting in times of struggle.

Sometimes, i envy people who believe that when all of this madness is finished with, they will be going to a place of peace, happiness and tranquillity. Nice thought if you truly believe it, must be comforting in times of struggle.
    Absolutely.

Religion is not for me but to those who believe and take comfort in it, all the best.

It's all very well saying that religion brings comfort and they are not harming anyone but the report in this thread which I assume people have read is the 16th report into sexual abuse in 3 years in various churches and faith groups

So clearly the church is doing a lot of harm to people and doing very little about it

The usual oh it's not the church or religion it's society arguments are always used as those of a religious faith have an answer to everything apart from evidence God exists .

The fact remains that people who abuse children have been operating within religion for many years and those in charge of religion have stood back and let it happen , even moving those alleged to be carrying out abuse to different areas .

Its a shambles that religion should be ashamed of .

They desperately hope that there is a god and an afterlife but if they believe why do they keep asking questions ?

I believe the scientists who say the earth isn't flat , probably from the age of ten . I don't keep reading books about the subject , once a week , that says the same thing over and over again .

I think a lot of religious people want desperately to believe in eternal life but are terrified that its not going to happen .

It's all very well saying that religion brings comfort and they are not harming anyone but the report in this thread which I assume people have read is the 16th report into sexual abuse in 3 years in various churches and faith groups

So clearly the church is doing a lot of harm to people and doing very little about it

The usual oh it's not the church or religion it's society arguments are always used as those of a religious faith have an answer to everything apart from evidence God exists .

The fact remains that people who abuse children have been operating within religion for many years and those in charge of religion have stood back and let it happen , even moving those alleged to be carrying out abuse to different areas .

Its a shambles that religion should be ashamed of .
    Why do you repeat yourself over and over multiple times in threads? You've had your view. People have read it. Move on.

Religion is bollocks. There's no god. You all know it deep down.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Religion is bollocks. There's no god. You all know it deep down.
    I agree with you, I also think that those who bang on about it and are anti-religion as just as bad as those who knock your door and try to get you involved.

Just let people believe and enjoy what they want.

I agree with you, I also think that those who bang on about it and are anti-religion as just as bad as those who knock your door and try to get you involved.

Clapping smiley

They desperately hope that there is a god and an afterlife but if they believe why do they keep asking questions ?

I believe the scientists who say the earth isn't flat , probably from the age of ten . I don't keep reading books about the subject , once a week , that says the same thing over and over again .

I think a lot of religious people want desperately to believe in eternal life but are terrified that its not going to happen .
    Be as critical as you wish about religion, but at the end of the day, when the chips are down, 9 out of 10 of us will have funeral service with a priest present who will thank God for our lives and, in faith, ask God to care for our souls in eternity...and likely you will one of the 10...as will many who have been critical of religion on this thread.

So please don't be so glib about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Be as critical as you wish about religion, but at the end of the day, when the chips are down, 9 out of 10 of us will have funeral service with a priest present who will thank God for our lives and, in faith, ask God to care for our souls in eternity...and likely you will one of the 10...as will many who have been critical of religion on this thread.

Thank you for allowing me to be critical about something I think is a cause of great suffering , war and trauma

I will continue to be critical of it until I die

Which will be a priest free funeral

I don't want someone asking something I don't believe in to care for my soul

I have never knocked on anyone's door saying religion is bollocks

The thread said that the enquiry into child sex abuse in religious organisations was another example of why religion is bullshit . And I totally agree 👍

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post

Not so sure about that: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...s-options-rise

If they just believed and enjoyed what they wanted, that would be fine. But they don't do they? They kill people, they rape people, they steal money, they reduce women to bearers of their seed. It leads to extremism. Millions of people were killed in the Christian crusades 1000 years ago. People are still dying today because of religious dogma. Look what's happening in Afghanistan today.

So you went to church every Sunday as a 14 year old kid whilst others were out fishing , playing football , listening to music ?

I think I had a normal childhood myself

I don't think it's normal for 14 year old boys to be singing religious songs with their parents

Christians do good things

Ordinary people do good things

The bible tells Christians if they do good acts they will go to heaven but only if they also worship God and Jesus

I would rather be an ordinary person who does good things then we can cut out the church bit and you can then be certain someone collecting for the homeless is a good person not doing it to get them to paradise
    I am close friends with someone who has always gone to church from an early age. She has a filthy mind and sense of humour and is infectious company. You can't stereotype.

So they are not doing it for nothing , it's to get a sense of community ......so they are doing it for something then

The others are doing it to feel better , because they think it's the right thing to do

Others volunteer to keep themselves busy , nothing wrong with that but it's not doing something for nothing

If there are religious people involved in something like a food bank some of them may do it because they are good people but others will do it because they think doing good things is what being a Christian is all about

Which is clearly not true as loads of people do good things who have no interest in God
    Haven't you missed something here, though? Plenty of Christians think that doing good things is what being a Christian is about, yet you turn that into a negative. If doing good things is being Christian, what's wrong with that? Baloo makes an excellent comment that people in religion of course know that non-believers or people from other religions do good things. Being Christian or from any other religion doesn't make you better or worse than anyone else - there's good and bad in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If they just believed and enjoyed what they wanted, that would be fine. But they don't do they? They kill people, they rape people, they steal money, they reduce women to bearers of their seed. It leads to extremism. Millions of people were killed in the Christian crusades 1000 years ago. People are still dying today because of religious dogma. Look what's happening in Afghanistan today.
    And extremism gives everything a bad name, whether it be religion, politics etc...