+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: One reason why religion is a load of bollox.

Re: One reason why religion is a load of bollox.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I have never knocked on anyone's door saying religion is bollocks

The thread said that the enquiry into child sex abuse in religious organisations was another example of why religion is bullshit . And I totally agree ��
    So in non-religious organisations where there is child sex abuse, are those organisations also bollocks?

Im not religious even though I went to a catholic school. I think it’s outdated, but If people take comfort from having faith who are we to judge?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Im not religious even though I went to a catholic school. I think it’s outdated, but If people take comfort from having faith who are we to judge?
    Spot on.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Spot on.
    Not so fast. The religious continually try to **** up things for the rest of us. Would you seriously want someone who believes in a fairytale afterlife with their finger on the nuclear button? Religion is not harmless.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Not so fast. The religious continually try to **** up things for the rest of us. Would you seriously want someone who believes in a fairytale afterlife with their finger on the nuclear button? Religion is not harmless.
    Bush Jnr?

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Bush Jnr?
    Dubya

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Dubya
    Which one was craziest-Dad or son?

So in non-religious organisations where there is child sex abuse, are those organisations also bollocks?
    I don't know of any organisations that say come to us , we will take care of you , pray with us , God is great , he is all powerful 🙏 but if one of our flock abuses you , we will forget all that move the priest somewhere else and cover up any wrongdoings

I mean it's pretty damning stuff that has gone on in the church

So no

As is always the case rotten establishments are defended to the death

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Which one was craziest-Dad or son?
    Both lunatics

As was Blair , also on a mission from God

I am close friends with someone who has always gone to church from an early age. She has a filthy mind and sense of humour and is infectious company. You can't stereotype.
    There's always one

Mind you look at caligula or the borgias

Spot on.
    No it's not

The thread is about child abuse in the church and the fact it's covered up

Someone may get comfort from going to church but if they know the kids in Sunday school are being abused then they are part of the problem

But never mind that , it gives them comfort

Haven't you missed something here, though? Plenty of Christians think that doing good things is what being a Christian is about, yet you turn that into a negative. If doing good things is being Christian, what's wrong with that? Baloo makes an excellent comment that people in religion of course know that non-believers or people from other religions do good things. Being Christian or from any other religion doesn't make you better or worse than anyone else - there's good and bad in all walks of life.
    The people who need religion to tell them to do good things could do good things without going to church

You can be a member of the local trainspotting club and raise hundreds of pounds for starving African kids

So I am not missing anything at all

Religion one day hopefully will die out as mankind realises what complete nonsense and hypocrisy it is

The people who need religion to tell them to do good things could do good things without going to church

You can be a member of the local trainspotting club and raise hundreds of pounds for starving African kids

So I am not missing anything at all

Religion one day hopefully will die out as mankind realises what complete nonsense and hypocrisy it is
    ..laviticus..get ****ed

As always, some interesting replies and opinions on this topic.
    My take on religion is as the thread title says, ‘Bollox’
    Humans are always looking for answers from “above” when they have all the answers here in the real life.
    This report just goes to show, that there is absolutely no safe haven from the disgusting and deplorable cancer that is Paedeophillia.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    As always, some interesting replies and opinions on this topic.
    My take on religion is as the thread title says, ‘Bollox’
    Humans are always looking for answers from “above” when they have all the answers here in the real life.
    This report just goes to show, that there is absolutely no safe haven from the disgusting and deplorable cancer that is Paedeophillia.
    We don't have all the answers hence our search of the ether. If you take away all religion the questions of how everything came to be and why will still prevail. It would be interesting to see if we taught everyone that this is all there is and we're all in the same stranded boat and how that would play out. It could get just as messy.

I think this nails it

https://youtu.be/Jjch-CQbEUo

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    We don't have all the answers hence our search of the ether. If you take away all religion the questions of how everything came to be and why will still prevail. It would be interesting to see if we taught everyone that this is all there is and we're all in the same stranded boat and how that would play out. It could get just as messy.
    Bingo!
    You’ve just hit the nail on the head, as to why religion exists.
    To keep the masses passive.

Bingo!
    You’ve just hit the nail on the head, as to why religion exists.
    To keep the masses passive.
    That wasn't my point but never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ..laviticus..get ****ed
    Leviathan ........shove it

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Makes a lot of sense.

Also, however it came about, I think for many people religion is also hope, something to cling to when things aren't great etc. If something in their head helps them through a situation then all the heat to them I'm not going to argue against it, why would I want to take that away from someone!!

They are causing me no harm, leave them to it.
    They do cause harm though. I know of people from a church I was was forced to attend that are vehemently fighting against rights for homosexuals. If the things they are doing were done by Muslims they'd be called extremists and it would be condemned. Making life decisions and holding ridiculously strong views based on an imaginary friend from thousands of years ago is ridiculous and extremely dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    That wasn't my point but never mind.
    We are all in the same boat. Some are rowing their bollox off and some are lying back and relaxing.
    Science is the answer to our questions, not some imaginary god in the atmosphere.
    Death is the last minute equaliser. A billionaire and a pauper both shuffle off their coils to obscurity, The problem being, lots of folk have difficulty accepting that.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    They do cause harm though. I know of people from a church I was was forced to attend that are vehemently fighting against rights for homosexuals. If the things they are doing were done by Muslims they'd be called extremists and it would be condemned. Making life decisions and holding ridiculously strong views based on an imaginary friend from thousands of years ago is ridiculous and extremely dangerous.
    Refusing medical treatment for their child , insisting God will heal him

Zero evidence that this happens but lots of evidence that medicine and medical intervention can save lives

People harassing medical staff outside abortion clinics , shooting them in America

But they do no harm and it gives them hope 🙏

We are all in the same boat. Some are rowing their bollox off and some are lying back and relaxing.
    Science is the answer to our questions, not some imaginary god in the atmosphere.
    Death is the last minute equaliser. A billionaire and a pauper both shuffle off their coils to obscurity, The problem being, lots of folk have difficulty accepting that.
    There may be a god and there may be an afterlife but the evidence is very poor and the religious lobby have failed to come up with anything for hundreds of years

There may be a god and there may be an afterlife but the evidence is very poor and the religious lobby have failed to come up with anything for hundreds of years
    That's why it's called FAITH....Thomas was also a doubter.

I had a good friend, sadly died a few years ago. A very intelligent man, mathematician Oxford graduate.

Many years ago when on holiday in Greece he sat watching the sun go down over the hills and wondered at the beauty of it all, of the balance of nature and felt there had to be an unseen power to have created all of this...the heavens and the earth.

He became a priest and a good caring priest he was too. Ordinary bloke, used to support two teams Arsenal and Cardiff. He often came to home games with me. Good for a laugh, good repertoire of dirty jokes...but underneath it all an undying faith in God.