+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: One reason why religion is a load of bollox.

Re: One reason why religion is a load of bollox.

I think religion no matter what faith is basically and fundamentally evil.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    That's why it's called FAITH....Thomas was also a doubter.

I had a good friend, sadly died a few years ago. A very intelligent man, mathematician Oxford graduate.

Many years ago when on holiday in Greece he sat watching the sun go down over the hills and wondered at the beauty of it all, of the balance of nature and felt there had to be an unseen power to have created all of this...the heavens and the earth.

He became a priest and a good caring priest he was too. Ordinary bloke, used to support two teams Arsenal and Cardiff. He often came to home games with me. Good for a laugh, good repertoire of dirty jokes...but underneath it all an undying faith in God.
    Did he go to heaven ?

Has he been in touch to say it's any good up there ?

Who is Thomas?

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    They do cause harm though. I know of people from a church I was was forced to attend that are vehemently fighting against rights for homosexuals. If the things they are doing were done by Muslims they'd be called extremists and it would be condemned. Making life decisions and holding ridiculously strong views based on an imaginary friend from thousands of years ago is ridiculous and extremely dangerous.
    I said "for many people religion is hope"

These people I mention are causing no harm.

Keep on twisting words and getting angry, the majority of people who are religious aren't your bible belt racist nut job Christian type.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I said "for many people religion is hope"

These people I mention are causing no harm.

Keep on twisting words and getting angry, the majority of people who are religious aren't your bible belt racist nut job Christian type.
    Who said I was angry? I'm chilling watching Unbeatable on BBC 1

Good for you.

Decent quiz ruined by the way they reveal the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Don't set Sludge off again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Which one was craziest-Dad or son?
    Dad was smart. Probably the last of the conservatives that you could at least understand where they were coming from even if you didn't agree with them. Son was/is an idiot. And certainly did more damage. He started an unwinnable war in Afghanistan. He destabilized the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Yeah can't argue with that mate. Similar to Pointless being ruined by the smug twats presenting it.

BBC News - Church in Wales to give blessings for same-sex marriages
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58427926

So they will bless two gay people but not allow them to marry ?

It's 2021

Some definitions:

Bigot: a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

Hate Crime: a hate crime is defined as 'Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's race or perceived race; religion or perceived religion; sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation; disability or perceived disability and any crime motivated by hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender.’

Hypocrite: just one and the most apt regarding incessant and unnecessary attacks of other people’s beliefs and faiths is to preach tolerance but judge others who don't conform to their way of thinking e.g. criminalising rather than educating people who sing offensive songs at a football match by reporting them to the police. Or, supporting those with mental health issues whilst actively damaging the mental health of individuals whose belief systems are necessary for their wellbeing.

Some inconvenient truths:

About 90% of children who are victims of sexual abuse know their abuser.

Only 10% of sexually abused children are abused by a stranger.

Approximately 30% of children who are sexually abused are abused by family members.

The younger the victim, the more likely it is that the abuser is a family member.

Of those molesting a child under six, 50% are family members.

Family members also accounted for 23% of those abusing children ages 12 to 17.

About 60% of children who are sexually abused are abused by people the family trusts.

It was a conservative government that pushed for and introduced same-sex marriage. The Conservative Party: senior Conservatives, including David Cameron, William Hague, George Osborne, and Theresa May supported the bill. Polling showed that the majority of Conservative voters supported the bill.

Read articles in hyperlinks in full before commenting as thread titles can be misleading.

A common misconception of the definition of an anarchist (me) is someone who is intolerant and believes in lawlessness. There are many types of anarchists as, indeed, there are many types of faith systems.

Attempting to eradicate religion without accepting the potential and likelihood of corruption and abuse in secular, atheist, or agnostic communities and institutions is futile.

It is better to find something to love rather than hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Some definitions:

Bigot: a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

That covers a lot of religious followers . Look no further than Northern Ireland

Hate Crime: a hate crime is defined as 'Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's race or perceived race; religion or perceived religion; sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation; disability or perceived disability and any crime motivated by hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender.’

See above

Hypocrite: just one and the most apt regarding incessant and unnecessary attacks of other people’s beliefs and faiths is to preach tolerance but judge others who don't conform to their way of thinking e.g. criminalising rather than educating people who sing offensive songs at a football match by reporting them to the police. Or, supporting those with mental health issues whilst actively damaging the mental health of individuals whose belief systems are necessary for their wellbeing.

If you think it is better to try and educate people singing racist or offensive songs give it a try . You are completely wasting your time , that approach has been used for years

Approximately 30% of children who are sexually abused are abused by family members.

The younger the victim, the more likely it is that the abuser is a family member.

About 60% of children who are sexually abused are abused by people the family trusts.

That doesn't answer the question as to why there have been 18 reports into child abuse in churches and spiritual groups in 3 years . Denial gets us nowhere .

It was a conservative government that pushed for and introduced same-sex marriage. The Conservative Party: senior Conservatives, including David Cameron, William Hague, George Osborne, and Theresa May supported the bill. Polling showed that the majority of Conservative voters supported the bill.

Cameron was to the left of the tory Party but they did it to get away from their image as the nasty party

Read articles in hyperlinks in full before commenting as thread titles can be misleading.

A common misconception of the definition of an anarchist (me) is someone who is intolerant and believes in lawlessness. There are many types of anarchists as, indeed, there are many types of faith systems.

Indeed but there is a serious problem I faith groups that people are still afraid to confront

Attempting to eradicate religion without accepting the potential and likelihood of corruption and abuse in secular, atheist, or agnostic communities and institutions is futile.

If abuse was less of an issue in faith communities then this conversation wouldn't be taking place . Denial of its existence and comparing it to levels of abuse in society is used by faith groups to deflect criticism, some are continuing to do it

You can criticise and mock the edifice of religion without hating it . I find much of it highly amusing .

@Citizens Nephew: “Hypocrite: just one and the most apt regarding incessant and unnecessary attacks of other people’s beliefs and faiths is to preach tolerance but judge others who don't conform to their way of thinking e.g. criminalising rather than educating people who sing offensive songs at a football match by reporting them to the police. Or, supporting those with mental health issues whilst actively damaging the mental health of individuals whose belief systems are necessary for their wellbeing.“

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed the hypocrisy. Well played, Sir. Check mate. 👏

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    @Citizens Nephew: “Hypocrite: just one and the most apt regarding incessant and unnecessary attacks of other people’s beliefs and faiths is to preach tolerance but judge others who don't conform to their way of thinking e.g. criminalising rather than educating people who sing offensive songs at a football match by reporting them to the police. Or, supporting those with mental health issues whilst actively damaging the mental health of individuals whose belief systems are necessary for their wellbeing.“

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed the hypocrisy. Well played, Sir. Check mate. 👏
    Absolute gold. Hadn't noticed that was a pretty long post!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You can criticise and mock the edifice of religion without hating it . I find much of it highly amusing .
    Because you included your answers to my post in the main body of my original post and didn't use quotation wrap tags it looks as if the text was part of my original post, so, for clarification to other readers and that I do not want your answers to be confused with my position, therefore, for clarity and record I have included them in the following repost (apologies to readers as my post was very long but I'm sure you understand my desire for clarity). I've no intention of continuing further discussion or dialogue but for my own peace of mind needed to write something that actually deals with the OP and the BBC report. I'm sure the vast majority will see there is no intent to cover up serious child sexual abuse in religious or any other groups.

This is the last I will post on the subject.

My original post & Sludge's answers:

Some definitions:

Sludge's answer
    That covers a lot of religious followers . Look no further than Northern Ireland

Sludge's Answer
    See above

Sludge's Answer
    If you think it is better to try and educate people singing racist or offensive songs give it a try . You are completely wasting your time , that approach has been used for years

Sludge's Answer
    That doesn't answer the question as to why there have been 18 reports into child abuse in churches and spiritual groups in 3 years . Denial gets us nowhere .

Sludge's Answer
    Cameron was to the left of the tory Party but they did it to get away from their image as the nasty party

Sludge's Answer
    Indeed but there is a serious problem I faith groups that people are still afraid to confront

Sludge's Answer
    If abuse was less of an issue in faith communities then this conversation wouldn't be taking place . Denial of its existence and comparing it to levels of abuse in society is used by faith groups to deflect criticism, some are continuing to do it
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 06-09-21 at 23:59. Reason: Formatting & Grammar

Because you included your answers to my post in the main body of my original post and didn't use quotation wrap tags it looks as if the text was part of my original post, so, for clarification to other readers and that I do not want your answers to be confused with my position, therefore, for clarity and record I have included them in the following repost (apologies to readers as my post was very long but I'm sure you understand my desire for clarity). I've no intention of continuing further discussion or dialogue but for my own peace of mind needed to write something that actually deals with the OP and the BBC report. I'm sure the vast majority will see there is no intent to cover up serious child sexual abuse in religious or any other groups.

This is the last I will post on the subject.

My original post & Sludge's answers:

Some definitions:

Sludge's answer

Sludge's Answer

Sludge's Answer

Sludge's Answer

Sludge's Answer

Sludge's Answer

Sludge's Answer

Yet again we have a religious follower saying there is no attempt to cover up abuse by religious groups

That's unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Bollocks

Absolute gold. Hadn't noticed that was a pretty long post!
    I read the post , he completely avoids child abuse in the church

Mind you avoiding child abuse is something a lot of people have in common , don't they ?

Tell em off .......as you say 🤔

The vast majority will see there is no attempt to cover up child abuse in the church , religious groups ?

This is a joke ?

Now I know you are in dreamworld , its been going on for years !

Yet again we have a religious follower saying there is no attempt to cover up abuse by religious groups

That's unbelievable
    How dare you accuse me of such a thing! You do not even comprehend what I posted because you are in denial of your constant abusive and hypocritical behaviour. Of course your statement is unbelievable because it’s absolutely untrue! I am neither a religious follower nor saying there is no attempt to cover up abuse. What’s wrong with you Sludge? Can you not understand what I posted and why I posted it. This is about your intolerance. You’ve really crossed a line here Sludge and it deserves a retraction and apology.

How dare you accuse me of such a thing! You do not even comprehend what I posted because you are in denial of your constant abusive and hypocritical behaviour. Of course your statement is unbelievable because it’s absolutely untrue! I am neither a religious follower nor saying there is no attempt to cover up abuse. What’s wrong with you Sludge? Can you not understand what I posted and why I posted it. This is about your intolerance. You’ve really crossed a line here Sludge and it deserves a retraction and apology.
    You said the vast majority can see there is no intent to cover up serious abuse in religious groups

That's what you wrote

Now either you didn't type it or you didn't mean to type it but that's what is there

There is and has been been countless attempts by faith groups to do exactly this for years and years

You said the vast majority can see there is no intent to cover up serious abuse in religious groups

That's what you wrote

Now either you didn't type it or you didn't mean to type it but that's what is there

There is and has been been countless attempts by faith groups to do exactly this for years and years
    I only wrote it because you f*cked up your response to me and I had to repost your reply to make it clear your answers were not part of my original post. It was in the context of that reply i.e. the vast majority can see there is no intent (by me) to cover up serious abuse in religious groups. You have made huge assumptions and presumptions about me and I really can’t believe I am having to defend myself because I’m pretty sure I’ve made myself very clear about this. I’m really disappointed it has come to this as my intent was to offer some balance and tolerance. I’ve clearly failed.

I only wrote it because you f*cked up your response to me and I had to repost your reply to make it clear your answers were not part of my original post. It was in the context of that reply i.e. the vast majority can see there is no intent (by me) to cover up serious abuse in religious groups. You have made huge assumptions and presumptions about me and I really can’t believe I am having to defend myself because I’m pretty sure I’ve made myself very clear about this. I’m really disappointed it has come to this as my intent was to offer some balance and tolerance. I’ve clearly failed.
    You haven't failed however in your earlier response you were , in my view , suggesting that child abuse was no more a problem in faith groups than it was in society in general and certainly less prevalent than by family members . You will have to forgive me for thinking .........this report is about sexual abuse in the church .......and your navigation was leaning very clearly away from the issue . To the point where I felt you were missing the point of the original post .

That's my view .

I read the post , he completely avoids child abuse in the church

Mind you avoiding child abuse is something a lot of people have in common , don't they ?

Tell em off .......as you say 🤔
    We can drag up the past if you wish. But you know it won't be me getting angry and threatening solicitors eh.

We can drag up the past if you wish. But you know it won't be me getting angry and threatening solicitors eh.
    Well to be fair you were not avoiding the issue of child abuse , you directly accused me of being a sex offender , which is even worse

But true to form a few months later you were on the subject like a leech , this time saying we should deal with offensive abusive chanting about kids with a telling off rather than getting lifted ......although someone else would have to do that ......not you ......as you were never at the games when it was taking place or on the coaches going to games as you don't watch the team because your daughter finds it boring

You really are odd

If I had children I wouldn't be pretending to be a cardiff fan and coming on here talking cobblers when I could be at home spending time with my family

I have told you before you name me on here and imply I am a sex offender and I will serve you up on a plate

You can easily find out what my name is

Do it