+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stew

Re: Stew

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Was given a slow cooker last Christmas, so have made plenty of stews this year. One full slow cooker full of stew provides five large meals, so I freeze some of it. I’ve done all sorts, some with plenty of fresh herbs, some with dried herbs and I’ve used corned beef (very much a Valleys thing I think because I’d never come across it in Cardiff), chicken and more exotic stuff like venison, rabbit and game for the meat and, although I say it myself, they’ve all been delicious.

The constants have been quite a few potatoes, one of those fresh veg stew packs you get from supermarkets, an extra carrot, peas, vegetable stock with flour to thicken it and garlic purée and Worcester sauce to flavour it. Also I always cook it on the lowest setting overnight.
    My Nan in Swansea used to often make us a corned beef stew when we visited as kids. Never really had it at home in Cardiff. She called it ‘Welsh Dinner’.

Surprised there's no Welsh Cawl recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    My Nan in Swansea used to often make us a corned beef stew when we visited as kids. Never really had it at home in Cardiff. She called it ‘Welsh Dinner’.
    I was a bit dubious about it at first, but was assured it was very nice - they were right and I’ll definitely be making some more.

Putting corned beef in stew is one up from using road kill. Shirley not stew if corned beef is used. Has to be beef. No dumplings.. Let it cool (quicker if the pan is placed in a bowl of cold water), skim the fat off. Leave (overnight if possible), heat through slowly, add cubed spuds and share. Season to taste or, in my nan's case, half a slab of salt!

A guy I used to work with told me that when he made a stew he used all the usual ingredients but intead of a stock he used to chuck in 2 tins of oxtail soup. He swore by it. I must get round to trying it this winter. He used to make it the day before he ate it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was a bit dubious about it at first, but was assured it was very nice - they were right and I’ll definitely be making some more.
    We always thought of it as a special treat for her family. But looking back it was probably relatively cheap and easy to make for 5 visitors. Definitely tasty though with a couple of slices of bread and butter to mop-up.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Putting corned beef in stew is one up from using road kill. Shirley not stew if corned beef is used. Has to be beef. No dumplings.. Let it cool (quicker if the pan is placed in a bowl of cold water), skim the fat off. Leave (overnight if possible), heat through slowly, add cubed spuds and share. Season to taste or, in my nan's case, half a slab of salt!
    Doesn't "have" to be anything. Can be what you like.

**** all wrong with corned beef either, always had it in the valleys and brings back memories of my nan sat in her armchair chopping spuds and veg, and everyone sneaking back in for more after their first bowl and complaining when the huge pan had finally gone... Roadkill.. You offend me. Snob.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Doesn't "have" to be anything. Can be what you like.

**** all wrong with corned beef either, always had it in the valleys and brings back memories of my nan sat in her armchair chopping spuds and veg, and everyone sneaking back in for more after their first bowl and complaining when the huge pan had finally gone... Roadkill.. You offend me. Snob.
    Corned beef is for hash. End of.

That is lovely too, my nan used to make a lovely hash.

Corned beef stew is my favourite stew.

Became popular in hash after the war due to rationing.

I always make it in the evening and slow cook overnight.
    Really enhances all the veg flavours into the broth.

My Nan lived to 98 and was known as “stew Nan” by her great grand children as she had a pot permanently on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My Nan lived to 98 and was known as “stew Nan” by her great grand children as she had a pot permanently on the go.
    That's a grand age , do miss our Nan's they were the best.