+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Emma Raducanu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Emma Raducanu

Never watch her before

But this girl can play.

She is 150 in the world (although provisionally with her results so far in the US open about 117 I think)

She has just demolished the number 41 in the world 6-0 in the first set

And is 3-0 up in the second.

Probably the kiss of death and she'll lose now, but at the moment she looks a different class to her opponent

Re: Emma Raducanu

She's worth watching. She was fantastic at Wimbledon. Let's hope there's a big future ahead for her.

Her opponent tonight beat Ashley Barty at the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Well she got well and truly hammered tonight 6-0 6-1. Should have been 6-0 6-0 but understandably got nervous on match point and overcooked it a couple of times

Raducanu will face Barty on Monday (if Barty wins her game)

I didn't realise that the club mascot was such an athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yes?
    Pardon me old chap, just clearing one's throat.

I think the girl has tremendous potential to do well in the game.

Pleased to see she is carrying on her Wimbledon form into the US Open, just hope she handles her nerve a bit better against Barty than she did a couple of months ago at SW19.

Thanks for your patience.

Pleased to see she is carrying on her Wimbledon form into the US Open, just hope she handles her nerve a bit better against Barty than she did a couple of months ago at SW19.

The way she played today that 5 years might be pessimistic!

The amount of power she has is incredible.

Must watch that match on Monday against Barty (if it is her)

I think the Home support probably added to the pressure at Wimbledon. Nice to see she’s bounced back.

I don't follow the tennis but good things being said about her.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

I don't follow the tennis but good things being said about her.
    Not too enamoured with it myself tbh, Wimbledon always gets me interested though, mainly due to its history but also it's difficult to avoid because it's on the telly and in the news so much.

The US open I may get interested from the quarters onwards, especially if there is British interest.
    The Aus and French leave me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I think the Home support probably added to the pressure at Wimbledon. Nice to see she’s bounced back.
    Yes, I think this could well be the case too.

Wimbledon fortnight is huge over here and if you're a Brit, everyone wants a piece of you.

She has such technical ability hopefully she develops the mental toughness needed to be a champ.

Just looked her up, don't follow Tennis much. I noticed they called her 'British' so I thought she couldn't be English. Tours out she's Canadian (by birth) but I presume she's more British than Greg Rusedski ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Just looked her up, don't follow Tennis much. I noticed they called her 'British' so I thought she couldn't be English. Tours out she's Canadian (by birth) but I presume she's more British than Greg Rusedski ever was.
    We regard Robert Earnshaw as Welsh even though he had a Zambian mother and an English father and he didn't move to Wales until he was 9 so on that basis she can regard herself as British or English (or both of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    We regard Robert Earnshaw as Welsh even though he had a Zambian mother and an English father and he didn't move to Wales until he was 9 so on that basis she can regard herself as British or English (or both of course)
    2 wrongs dont make a right .
    We do like to "adopt" people that are good at sport though.

Play for your national team because one of your grandparents had that nationality.
    Play for a national team because you have lived somewhere for 7 or 8 years. Truly adopt a star.

I think we need to move on from truly 'Welsh' or truly 'British' type discussions.

If she qualifies for Britain and feels like committing to Britain, then let he play.

Wales have benefitted from people in Britain who could have qualified for the home nations and picked us.

My kids qualify for Uganda and Wales (and England) - my son would choose Uganda and my girls Wales. Families are moving around more nowadays and marriages and heritages of people more and more mixed. Where someone belongs is becoming less about where that person was born. My youngest daughter was born in Cardiff but lived there for only 18 months - and yet at 14 she feels more of a connection to Cardiff than the other two.

While of course someone can't pick a random country because they played Risk or watched a youtube video, but let's give people more freedom to choose and as long as they can demonstrate a connection to the country, let them get on with it.

As for Emma, she's brilliant. Really great technique and quick around the court.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I think we need to move on from truly 'Welsh' or truly 'British' type discussions.

If she qualifies for Britain and feels like committing to Britain, then let he play.

Wales have benefitted from people in Britain who could have qualified for the home nations and picked us.

My kids qualify for Uganda and Wales (and England) - my son would choose Uganda and my girls Wales. Families are moving around more nowadays and marriages and heritages of people more and more mixed. Where someone belongs is becoming less about where that person was born. My youngest daughter was born in Cardiff but lived there for only 18 months - and yet at 14 she feels more of a connection to Cardiff than the other two.

While of course someone can't pick a random country because they played Risk or watched a youtube video, but let's give people more freedom to choose and as long as they can demonstrate a connection to the country, let them get on with it.

As for Emma, she's brilliant. Really great technique and quick around the court.
    I agree.

Although I soon gave up on Bolton v Burton, I was switching around between football, golf (Solheim Cup) and tennis last night, but watched much of Radacanu's game. In the first couple of games Martin Navratalova was saying it was adrenalin that was making Emma hit balls a bit too long and that she should soon settle down. She was right and once that happened, it was a bit of a massacre - she is thrashing top fifty players in this tournament and the question now is has she got it in her to beat top ten players? Based on what we've seen in the past ten days or so, the answer is, almost certainly, yes.

That said, although you have players like Serena Williams who is on a par with the greats the men's game has seen over the last fifteen years or so, women's tennis during that time is a little like that Andy Warhol thing about everyone having fifteen minutes of fame. I don't pay attention to tennis enough to be sure of this, but it seems to me that there have been plenty of women players who've enjoyed a great run to win or be runner up in a Grand Slam final and then they disappear back into, relative, obscurity, so I suppose Radacanu could be another one of those - although to hear Martina talking last night, she clearly doesn't think so.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

Play for your national team because one of your grandparents had that nationality.
    Play for a national team because you have lived somewhere for 7 or 8 years. Truly adopt a star.
    in fairness she probably feels English/British because she's lived here during her formative years.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    in fairness she probably feels English/British because she's lived here during her formative years.
    Setting aside the less that easily defined notion of nationality (as many people straddle mulitiple cultures, may have lived in several countries and their parents may have emanated from other parts of the world) is nationality that important in sports where people compete as individuals anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

How is this 'adopt a star'?

The magic of her story is that she has won from nowhere. She was hardly known six months ago, when she was also competing in tournaments as a Brit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    How is this 'adopt a star'?

The magic of her story is that she has won from nowhere. She was hardly known six months ago, when she was also competing in tournaments as a Brit.
    How many Robert Earnshaw goals did jimmy celebrate at ninian Park?
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    The way she played today that 5 years might be pessimistic!

The amount of power she has is incredible.

Must watch that match on Monday against Barty (if it is her)
    Barty lost, so she'll now play Shelby Rogers.
    Hell of a chance for her to get to the quarters.

Barty lost, so she'll now play Shelby Rogers.
    Hell of a chance for her to get to the quarters.
    Another shock. Ms Rogers is currently 2 places in the rankings below the player Ms Raducanu beat yesterday!!