+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Emma Raducanu

Emma Raducanu

Never watch her before

But this girl can play.

She is 150 in the world (although provisionally with her results so far in the US open about 117 I think)

She has just demolished the number 41 in the world 6-0 in the first set

And is 3-0 up in the second.

Probably the kiss of death and she'll lose now, but at the moment she looks a different class to her opponent

Re: Emma Raducanu

She's worth watching. She was fantastic at Wimbledon. Let's hope there's a big future ahead for her.

Her opponent tonight beat Ashley Barty at the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Well she got well and truly hammered tonight 6-0 6-1. Should have been 6-0 6-0 but understandably got nervous on match point and overcooked it a couple of times

Raducanu will face Barty on Monday (if Barty wins her game)

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yes?
    Pardon me old chap, just clearing one's throat.

I think the girl has tremendous potential to do well in the game.

Pleased to see she is carrying on her Wimbledon form into the US Open, just hope she handles her nerve a bit better against Barty than she did a couple of months ago at SW19.

Thanks for your patience.

Pleased to see she is carrying on her Wimbledon form into the US Open, just hope she handles her nerve a bit better against Barty than she did a couple of months ago at SW19.

I think the Home support probably added to the pressure at Wimbledon. Nice to see she’s bounced back.

I don't follow the tennis but good things being said about her.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

I don't follow the tennis but good things being said about her.
    Not too enamoured with it myself tbh, Wimbledon always gets me interested though, mainly due to its history but also it's difficult to avoid because it's on the telly and in the news so much.

The US open I may get interested from the quarters onwards, especially if there is British interest.
    The Aus and French leave me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I think the Home support probably added to the pressure at Wimbledon. Nice to see she’s bounced back.
    Yes, I think this could well be the case too.

Wimbledon fortnight is huge over here and if you're a Brit, everyone wants a piece of you.

She has such technical ability hopefully she develops the mental toughness needed to be a champ.

The way she played today that 5 years might be pessimistic!

The amount of power she has is incredible.

Must watch that match on Monday against Barty (if it is her)

Just looked her up, don't follow Tennis much. I noticed they called her 'British' so I thought she couldn't be English. Tours out she's Canadian (by birth) but I presume she's more British than Greg Rusedski ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Just looked her up, don't follow Tennis much. I noticed they called her 'British' so I thought she couldn't be English. Tours out she's Canadian (by birth) but I presume she's more British than Greg Rusedski ever was.
    We regard Robert Earnshaw as Welsh even though he had a Zambian mother and an English father and he didn't move to Wales until he was 9 so on that basis she can regard herself as British or English (or both of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    We regard Robert Earnshaw as Welsh even though he had a Zambian mother and an English father and he didn't move to Wales until he was 9 so on that basis she can regard herself as British or English (or both of course)
    2 wrongs dont make a right .
    We do like to "adopt" people that are good at sport though.

Play for your national team because one of your grandparents had that nationality.
    Play for a national team because you have lived somewhere for 7 or 8 years. Truly adopt a star.

The way she played today that 5 years might be pessimistic!

The amount of power she has is incredible.

Must watch that match on Monday against Barty (if it is her)
    Barty lost, so she'll now play Shelby Rogers.
    Hell of a chance for her to get to the quarters.

I didn't realise that the club mascot was such an athlete.

There was too much good sport on yesterday for me to see her game, but I watched her second round match against an experienced Chinese player (Xheng?) and she was far more impressive than in my one previous viewing - her frenetic, manic loss at Wimbledon a few months ago when the whole occasions seemed to get to her.

Raducanu was comfortably beating Xheng for a set and a half, but then her opponent fought back from 4-0 down to 4-3 and things began to look a bit dodgy. However, Radacanu then won her next two service games without missing a first serve, it was nerveless stuff and very impressive - I think she's a possible future winner of at least one Grand Slam title.

Barty lost, so she'll now play Shelby Rogers.
    Hell of a chance for her to get to the quarters.
    Another shock. Ms Rogers is currently 2 places in the rankings below the player Ms Raducanu beat yesterday!!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There was too much good sport on yesterday for me to see her game, but I watched her second round match against an experienced Chinese player (Xheng?) and she was far more impressive than in my one previous viewing - her frenetic, manic loss at Wimbledon a few months ago when the whole occasions seemed to get to her.

Raducanu was comfortably beating Xheng for a set and a half, but then her opponent fought back from 4-0 down to 4-3 and things began to look a bit dodgy. However, Radacanu then won her next two service games without missing a first serve, it was nerveless stuff and very impressive - I think she's a possible future winner of at least one Grand Slam title.
    If you think that was impressive you should have seen her yesterday. Comfortable is not the word. Imposing or masterful is a better one. I have rarely seen a female player hit the ball so consistently hard. Sara Tormo didn't know if she was coming or going and was reduced to just shaking her head in disbelief.

Someone forecast that Raducanu will soon be the best returner of serve in the women's game. I can quite believe it after watching that performance.

I turned on the tennis to see Raducanu 0-2 and 0-40 down in the first set.

She won the first set 6-2 and is now 5-0 up in the second.

Martina Navratilova seems impressed. She just said when you see someone special like a Nadal, Djokovic or Hingis you know it Seems to think Raducanu is special.

Very early days but she does seem to have something.

6-2 6-1

I turned on the tennis to see Raducanu 0-2 and 0-40 down in the first set.

She won the first set 6-2 and is now 5-0 up in the second.

Martina Navratilova seems impressed. She just said when you see someone special like a Nadal, Djokovic or Hingis you know it Seems to think Raducanu is special.

Very early days but she does seem to have something.
    with that win she's British number 1.
    ranked 350 odd in the world 6 months ago, now 72.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    with that win she's British number 1.
    ranked 350 odd in the world 6 months ago, now 72.
    She will be British number 1 for a long, ong time on the strength of the last two performances
    If she continues to make this sort of progress she will be world number 1 before long.

This is the sort of 18 year old other countries have