+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Emma Raducanu

Re: Emma Raducanu

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    That’s not a problem at all.
    She’s made it look easy. A class act.
    It might be if the Final turns out to be a real battle. Fair play to Sakkari, she fought really hard towards the end to hold her serve twice despite facing a stack of break points - I started watching at 3-0 in the first set and, apparently, Radacanu had come back from 15-40 down in both of her service games, but she was never threatened on serve at all while I was watching, so her opponent, for all of the competitiveness she showed in those late service games, never really laid a glove on her as far as Radacanu's own serve goes.

In saying that, Radacanu just comes over as a real natural who instinctively makes right, and clever, decisions on court - it's a contradiction in terms, but she's an experienced player at the age of eighteen in so many ways and you get the feeling that she has another level to go to yet if she needs to.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    watch it mate, people will have you as upper middle class on here if your boys play tennis , I can hear them now, its a toffs game done you know
    Bring them on…

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yeah, that Andy Murray eh, he’s worse than Jacob Rees-Mogg isn’t he. Strange that you decide to reply like that to a post made almost eleven hours earlier and yet, in that time, no one posted anything remotely along thw lines you suggest. Certainly, tennis had that sort of image when I was a kid, golf did as well, as did cricket to some extent, but, if it was true once, it’s not any more.

By the way, in the actual tennis, Raducanu is leading 6-1, 3-1.
    You can sign up to play in Heath park for £40 a year, you can then book as many times a day or week as you want….bit out there eh?
    There was nothing like it when I was a kid, and only 1 indoor court in cardiff.

https://tennistonic.com/rankings/?m=...HV5M3VXYXNWbWY.

projected to rise to 32 in the world rankings.
    amazing stuff.

the other teenager she's facing in the final has arguably got some even bigger scalps on her route to the final.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You can sign up to play in Heath park for £40 a year, you can then book as many times a day or week as you want….bit out there eh?
    Don't know your age, but when I was a kid in the 80s my parents paid a pound a week so we could use the tennis courts at pentyrch. It wasn't a great surface, obviously, but was cheap and accessible.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Even I can create a pivot table in Excel.

Well I could create one 15 years ago when I took early retirement!

I wonder if she can write a COBOL or RPG II program though (do people still write in COBOL these days. And has anyone on here even heard of RPG!!!)).

My computer skills are very niche these days. Though I used to be a dab hand at SQL as well
    Pivot tables haven't changed, they're still duplo blocks though. Use array formula, much more powerful

Yeah, that Andy Murray eh, he’s worse than Jacob Rees-Mogg isn’t he. Strange that you decide to reply like that to a post made almost eleven hours earlier and yet, in that time, no one posted anything remotely along thw lines you suggest. Certainly, tennis had that sort of image when I was a kid, golf did as well, as did cricket to some extent, but, if it was true once, it’s not any more.

It was simply a Joke with Goats, which I thought he might find slightly humorous as myself and Goats are a similar age and as kids tennis certainly wasn't for the working class

The time difference between posts was due to me working till 10.30 and not being sat online

Yes I know Tennis is open to all these days, both my Girls occasionally play at our local court

I hope that clears up your misunderstanding of my post

Bring them on…
    next you will be drinking posh caramel macchiato's in some Italian Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Especially if they recide in modest accommodation .��

next you will be drinking posh caramel macchiato's in some Italian Cafe
    I trust taking them to Florida/Disney has phucked it anyway….

International

Do you mean only 1 grass court?

It might be if the Final turns out to be a real battle. Fair play to Sakkari, she fought really hard towards the end to hold her serve twice despite facing a stack of break points - I started watching at 3-0 in the first set and, apparently, Radacanu had come back from 15-40 down in both of her service games, but she was never threatened on serve at all while I was watching, so her opponent, for all of the competitiveness she showed in those late service games, never really laid a glove on her as far as Radacanu's own serve goes.

In saying that, Radacanu just comes over as a real natural who instinctively makes right, and clever, decisions on court - it's a contradiction in terms, but she's an experienced player at the age of eighteen in so many ways and you get the feeling that she has another level to go to yet if she needs to.
    Sakkari, if I recall rightly, had Raducanu in trouble early on and had 7 break points in the early service games. Once Raducanu had her measure however, there was really only one player in it until the last few games. I am glad Sakkari did have revival because it gave Raducanu the chance to show that even when things start to go the other players way she can cope with it.

Of course, she was helped by the fact that Sakkari made a lot of unforced errors, as did her previous three opponents. But as one of the experts said last night, a lot of these errors have been because she puts their whole game under stress with the way she pressurises them. People are already saying that she is the best returner of serve at the top level!

Greg Rusedski said he had never seen anyone like her, with the possible exception of Rafael Nadal. Annabel Croft agreed with him.

Like me. you are a keen cricket follower and no doubt have heard commentators say that great players have so much time to play the ball or that their test match averages are often better than their county averages.

Raducanu seems to have time and seems (according to Martins Navratilova) to anticipate where to position herself on the court.

In her last tournament before the US Open she lost in three sets in the final to the then world no 78 and beat the world number 100 in three sets in the semi final, in the two matches she lost 27 games

In her last four matches in the US Open she has beaten(thrashed??) the numbers 41,43 ,12 and 18 in the world and lost a total of
    16 games! In fact she is now higher in the rankings than the first two of those.

It would have nice if she had had some tougher games like her opponent Leylah Fernandez has. But you can only beat what is in front of you

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    Pivot tables haven't changed, they're still duplo blocks though. Use array formula, much more powerful
    Yes I used to use arrays (in both Excel and RPG)as well. Couldn't do it now though, without doing some training

some interesting similarities between the two finalists
    both teenagers in their first grand slam final
    both unseeded
    both born in Canada less than 2 months apart.
    one with a Romanian father and Chinese mother and the other with an Ecuadorian father and a mother of Filipino descent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    some interesting similarities between the two finalists
    both teenagers in their first grand slam final
    both unseeded
    both born in Canada less than 2 months apart.
    one with a Romanian father and Chinese mother and the other with an Ecuadorian father and a mother of Filipino descent.
    I wonder if there's a similar thread on Vancouver Whitecaps FC's message board discussing the finalists nationality, alongside a discussion about their ex-coach as to whether he's Welsh or Zambian 😁

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    No I mean an indoor court, the only one I knew of was at Sophia gardens, jubilee hall or whatever. I had coaching there on a Friday back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    There was plenty of grass and outdoor courts, it’s a bit brutal in the wind and rain in the winter months…..

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Sakkari, if I recall rightly, had Raducanu in trouble early on and had 7 break points in the early service games. Once Raducanu had her measure however, there was really only one player in it until the last few games. I am glad Sakkari did have revival because it gave Raducanu the chance to show that even when things start to go the other players way she can cope with it.

Of course, she was helped by the fact that Sakkari made a lot of unforced errors, as did her previous three opponents. But as one of the experts said last night, a lot of these errors have been because she puts their whole game under stress with the way she pressurises them. People are already saying that she is the best returner of serve at the top level!

Greg Rusedski said he had never seen anyone like her, with the possible exception of Rafael Nadal. Annabel Croft agreed with him.

Like me. you are a keen cricket follower and no doubt have heard commentators say that great players have so much time to play the ball or that their test match averages are often better than their county averages.

Raducanu seems to have time and seems (according to Martins Navratilova) to anticipate where to position herself on the court.

In her last tournament before the US Open she lost in three sets in the final to the then world no 78 and beat the world number 100 in three sets in the semi final, in the two matches she lost 27 games

In her last four matches in the US Open she has beaten(thrashed??) the numbers 41,43 ,12 and 18 in the world and lost a total of
    16 games! In fact she is now higher in the rankings than the first two of those.

It would have nice if she had had some tougher games like her opponent Leylah Fernandez has. But you can only beat what is in front of you
    I think the thing which says so much is that old professionals, who could become cynical and a bit negative about the game they once played, are so amazed at how she is playing - I saw those interviews with Greg Rusedski and Annabel Croft and the former, who had been tipping her to lose before previous matches apparently, was plain gobsmacked about her.

Good point as well about how she is causing her opponents to look so ordinary.

I think the thing which says so much is that old professionals, who could become cynical and a bit negative about the game they once played, are so amazed at how she is playing - I saw those interviews with Greg Rusedski and Annabel Croft and the former, who had been tipping her to lose before previous matches apparently, was plain gobsmacked about her.

Good point as well about how she is causing her opponents to look so ordinary.
    It's not only her ability to hit the ball so hard and so accurately that is astounding, it's the maturity she has to know when to play a point winning shot that seems so incredibly natural. Maturity beyond her years.

Years ago I remember watching TransWorld Sport early one Saturday morning on Channel 4. There was a feature on a young 16 year old Spanish tennis player, who apparently was going to take clay court tennis to a whole new level. His name was Rafa Nadal.

I hope the crowd at Arthur Ashe stadium chant 'Emma, Emma Radu...Emma RaduCANU' to the tune of Hal Robson-Kanu

She has a great chance of winning as her opponent is a newbie .

Emma is the first qualifier to reach a Grand Slam final , her opponent is Canadian perhaps New Yorkers will be more behind Emma

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I hope the crowd at Arthur Ashe stadium chant 'Emma, Emma Radu...Emma RaduCANU' to the tune of Hal Robson-Kanu
    And that song sung for the best Welsh International defender Ashley Williams

It was simply a Joke with Goats, which I thought he might find slightly humorous as myself and Goats are a similar age and as kids tennis certainly wasn't for the working class

The time difference between posts was due to me working till 10.30 and not being sat online

Yes I know Tennis is open to all these days, both my Girls occasionally play at our local court

I hope that clears up your misunderstanding of my post
    A quid a week in the 80s I've read on here. How very middle class.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It's not only her ability to hit the ball so hard and so accurately that is astounding, it's the maturity she has to know when to play a point winning shot that seems so incredibly natural. Maturity beyond her years.

Years ago I remember watching TransWorld Sport early one Saturday morning on Channel 4. There was a feature on a young 16 year old Spanish tennis player, who apparently was going to take clay court tennis to a whole new level. His name was Rafa Nadal.
    Yes as I said Greg Rusedski compared her to Nadal.

The other thing mentioned by many of the pundits is how strong her all round game is.

Last night she showed she has a good serve, exceptional return of serve, good forehand and backhand, good volleying and , particularly in one game near the end a good lob, She also won a point with a good sliced return at one stage and I think it was Martina who said she should use the slice more because she played it well.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    A quid a week in the 80s I've read on here. How very middle class.
    And it turns out goats not only played tennis but had a coach