+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Emma Raducanu

Re: Emma Raducanu

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    She will be British number 1 for a long, ong time on the strength of the last two performances
    If she continues to make this sort of progress she will be world number 1 before long.

deleted

That’s impressive, bright future ahead.

I think we need to move on from truly 'Welsh' or truly 'British' type discussions.

If she qualifies for Britain and feels like committing to Britain, then let he play.

Wales have benefitted from people in Britain who could have qualified for the home nations and picked us.

My kids qualify for Uganda and Wales (and England) - my son would choose Uganda and my girls Wales. Families are moving around more nowadays and marriages and heritages of people more and more mixed. Where someone belongs is becoming less about where that person was born. My youngest daughter was born in Cardiff but lived there for only 18 months - and yet at 14 she feels more of a connection to Cardiff than the other two.

While of course someone can't pick a random country because they played Risk or watched a youtube video, but let's give people more freedom to choose and as long as they can demonstrate a connection to the country, let them get on with it.

As for Emma, she's brilliant. Really great technique and quick around the court.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I think we need to move on from truly 'Welsh' or truly 'British' type discussions.

If she qualifies for Britain and feels like committing to Britain, then let he play.

Wales have benefitted from people in Britain who could have qualified for the home nations and picked us.

My kids qualify for Uganda and Wales (and England) - my son would choose Uganda and my girls Wales. Families are moving around more nowadays and marriages and heritages of people more and more mixed. Where someone belongs is becoming less about where that person was born. My youngest daughter was born in Cardiff but lived there for only 18 months - and yet at 14 she feels more of a connection to Cardiff than the other two.

While of course someone can't pick a random country because they played Risk or watched a youtube video, but let's give people more freedom to choose and as long as they can demonstrate a connection to the country, let them get on with it.

As for Emma, she's brilliant. Really great technique and quick around the court.
    I agree.

Although I soon gave up on Bolton v Burton, I was switching around between football, golf (Solheim Cup) and tennis last night, but watched much of Radacanu's game. In the first couple of games Martin Navratalova was saying it was adrenalin that was making Emma hit balls a bit too long and that she should soon settle down. She was right and once that happened, it was a bit of a massacre - she is thrashing top fifty players in this tournament and the question now is has she got it in her to beat top ten players? Based on what we've seen in the past ten days or so, the answer is, almost certainly, yes.

That said, although you have players like Serena Williams who is on a par with the greats the men's game has seen over the last fifteen years or so, women's tennis during that time is a little like that Andy Warhol thing about everyone having fifteen minutes of fame. I don't pay attention to tennis enough to be sure of this, but it seems to me that there have been plenty of women players who've enjoyed a great run to win or be runner up in a Grand Slam final and then they disappear back into, relative, obscurity, so I suppose Radacanu could be another one of those - although to hear Martina talking last night, she clearly doesn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    She will be British number 1 for a long, ong time on the strength of the last two performances
    If she continues to make this sort of progress she will be world number 1 before long.

This is the sort of 18 year old other countries have
    The UK (predominantly England) is able to invest so much into sport - and choses to do so - and globalisation allows for best young athletes and/or coaches to travel to where there is the most growth and for best ideas to spread rapidly.

I don't think we can make this sort of comment any more.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree.

Although I soon gave up on Bolton v Burton, I was switching around between football, golf (Solheim Cup) and tennis last night, but watched much of Radacanu's game. In the first couple of games Martin Navratalova was saying it was adrenalin that was making Emma hit balls a bit too long and that she should soon settle down. She was right and once that happened, it was a bit of a massacre - she is thrashing top fifty players in this tournament and the question now is has she got it in her to beat top ten players? Based on what we've seen in the past ten days or so, the answer is, almost certainly, yes.

That said, although you have players like Serena Williams who is on a par with the greats the men's game has seen over the last fifteen years or so, women's tennis during that time is a little like that Andy Warhol thing about everyone having fifteen minutes of fame. I don't pay attention to tennis enough to be sure of this, but it seems to me that there have been plenty of women players who've enjoyed a great run to win or be runner up in a Grand Slam final and then they disappear back into, relative, obscurity, so I suppose Radacanu could be another one of those - although to hear Martina talking last night, she clearly doesn't think so.
    That's a very well observed point. I do follow tennis and even play a bit. But women's tennis certainly suffers more than the mens game from women becoming prominent for a season or two and then falling down the rankings. I could go on to speculate about that and the reasons for it, but let's hope Radacanu rises and stays at the top for a long time. Navratilova is one of the most thoughtful commentators on tennis.

Difficult to say how much further she can go this year but her potential is phenomenal given the two runs she has had in her first two slams.

This one now into the 3rd week given she had to qualify first.

It's impressive.

The way women's tennis seems to work, if she can be in and around the top 20 then you have a decent chance of doing something at the slams, particularly with Serena missing more.

I'm assuming the men's game would be fairly similar if we didn't have the absolute dominance from 3 players over the last 10 years or so.

she's still very new, I guess sooner or later people will work out more effective ways to play against her, the. it's whether she can adapt her game to counteract that.
    exciting times though, up against the Olympics gold medal winner next

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post

We've had this conversation before and rightly so with the likes of Rudeski and Konta but this girl has been living in the UK since the age of 2. What nationality would anyone expect her to feel other than British?

Clever girl got a few, A+ A levels as well , one being maths , born in Canada to Chinese mum and Romanian dad , who are economists I think ,they must be very proud , she is only 18

Just taken the first set in her Quarter Final.

Just taken the first set in her Quarter Final.
    from 0-2 and 1-3 down as well

6-3 6-4

Straight sets win. Fantastic!

First ever qualifier to reach a Semi Final.

She’s sounding pretty overwhelmed in her post match interview, but, on court, she’s 18 going on 30 - Mary Joe Fernandez said it was the performance of the tournament so far.

She’s sounding pretty overwhelmed in her post match interview, but, on court, she’s 18 going on 30 - Mary Joe Fernandez said it was the performance of the tournament so far.
    Martina Navratalova was raving about her yesterday.

She’s looking good semi final us open

Superb performance again.

With Barty Osaka and Williams out she could actually win it.

This girl featured on the cover of Vogue this week.

That must have been prepared some time ago

If that hasn't turned her head, she is a very composed young lady!

I hope she goes on and wins the tournament but in any event she has a great future.

Wow so close to a very big prize

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wow so close to a very big prize
    she's already earned €675000, which will double if she wins her next match, and double again if she wins the final

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    she's already earned €675000, which will double if she wins her next match, and double again if she wins the final
    Fairy Tale in New York

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Fairy Tale in New York
    And so could anyone...

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    2 wrongs dont make a right .
    We do like to "adopt" people that are good at sport though.

Play for your national team because one of your grandparents had that nationality.
    Play for a national team because you have lived somewhere for 7 or 8 years. Truly adopt a star.
    in fairness she probably feels English/British because she's lived here during her formative years.