+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Emma Raducanu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Emma Raducanu

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Rafa Nadal has been mentioned already in this thread I believe, but the truth is that, if anything, Emma Raducanu, as an eighteen year old qualifier, was more dominant in winning this tournament than Nadal was in winning all those French Opens when he was at his peak. It’s an incredible achievement and, surely, it’s not going to be a one off - even if is, no one can ever take this exceptional achievement away from her.

Sport once again proves its ability to dumbfound anyone who thinks they’ve seen it all.
    It tells you what an achievement it was when it’s the lead story on SSN, ahead of Ronny scoring 2 on his return debut

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    He probably had a score on Fernandez.
    Quite amazing to read his comments. Every commentator and pro I've heard all said the time out was enforced, posters on here have tried to re-echo what was being said by those who know the game, yet JR stubbornly believes his own opinion, despite the evidence demonstrating he was talking out of his arse again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Quite amazing to read his comments. Every commentator and pro I've heard all said the time out was enforced, posters on here have tried to re-echo what was being said by those who know the game, yet JR stubbornly believes his own opinion, despite the evidence demonstrating he was talking out of his arse again.
    Just being a pedant like you with your stats I have a couple of posts before this one quoted the actual Grand Slam Rule on Medical Time Outs for Bleeding.

Lets see him argue with that. No doubt he will anyway. Perhaps he will say she secreted a blood capsule somewhere and broke it open on her leg without being spotted by the multifarious cameras !!

He can'

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    2 wrongs dont make a right .
    We do like to "adopt" people that are good at sport though.

Play for your national team because one of your grandparents had that nationality.
    Play for a national team because you have lived somewhere for 7 or 8 years. Truly adopt a star.
    A bit like the City adopting a Jock supporter. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

What's the difference between Emma Raducanu and Prince Andrew?

Emma Raducanu isn't afraid of a US court.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    What's the difference between Emma Raducanu and Prince Andrew?

Emma Raducanu isn't afraid of a US court.

Fantastic achievement for someone so young. As for the bleeding, you can see the blood had seeped through in the photos at the award ceremony.

Regarding the time out, I couldn't imagine a worse time to have one, having to think about serving at break point down when already missed match point.

I'm sure if Fernandez had a time out then Raducanu would also have been frustrated.

Fernandez I thought missed a trick, she could have stayed focused at her end and maybe tried to gee the crowd up. Instead she wound herself up more and more, understandable though.

Has anybody ranked 150 or below ever won a major singles title before?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    She's the first qualifier to win one, so probably no.

I think Wales Bales did.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think Wales Bales did.

Forgot she withdrew from Wimbledon a few months ago too citing breathing difficulties…..which probably comes from adrenaline or being overwhelmed and not being able to get it together, which makes doing this in New York all the more incredible. Tennis is a lonely game, it’s just you and your thoughts going round and round in your head constantly…the ones that can control this go on to be the winners.

Absolutely incredible achievement, regardless of some of the stupid comments on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    How is this 'adopt a star'?

The magic of her story is that she has won from nowhere. She was hardly known six months ago, when she was also competing in tournaments as a Brit.
    And she's lived in the UK since she was 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    And she's lived in the UK since she was 2.
    She is British as far as I am concerned. Just like Mo Farah is.

If some kid fleeing persecution and torture in Iraq or Afghanistan settles in Cardiff as an 8 year old , signs for CCFC as a youngster and eventually gets called up to play for Wales

He's fecking welsh

Ivanisevic was ranked 125th in 2001 when he won Wimbledon as a wildcard, but he was hardly an unknown with no experience of grand slam events.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Ivanisevic was ranked 125th in 2001 when he won Wimbledon as a wildcard, but he was hardly an unknown with no experience of grand slam events.
    Kim Clijsters was the first unseeded woman to win the US Open in 2009 but she actually had no ranking as she was just coming back from retirement and was given a wildcard (which put her straight into the main tournament missing qualifying) because she had, of course been world number 1 and was a previous winner of the event.

She then lost in the second round of the Luxembourg Open, and I read somewhere that Raducanu the other week applied to enter the qualifiers for that event.

I bet they will welcome her with open arms now!!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If some kid fleeing persecution and torture in Iraq or Afghanistan settles in Cardiff as an 8 year old , signs for CCFC as a youngster and eventually gets called up to play for Wales

He's fecking welsh
    You could’ve just said Robert Earnshaw🙄

being used to only really watching Wimbledon, I found the crowd a little annoying when she was trying to close out the match. the umpire had to repeatedly ask them to be quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    being used to only really watching Wimbledon, I found the crowd a little annoying when she was trying to close out the match. the umpire had to repeatedly ask them to be quiet
    More rowdy than ccfc crowd these days….football fans a bit middle class

Is this a joke? I haven't watched tennis for years, but when the umpire requested the crowd be quiet, it reminded me of watching Wimbledon.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Is this a joke? I haven't watched tennis for years, but when the umpire requested the crowd be quiet, it reminded me of watching Wimbledon.
    They always get like that a match or set point……

Seemed to me that a lot of them were more interested in messing about with their phones than watching the game.