+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: City Road Trouble

City Road Trouble

BBC News - City Road: Five taken to hospital after reports of assault in Cardiff
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58457143

It's always been a bit lively up there but a few very serious incidents recently

When I worked up there , opposite the Roath pub we would often go for a drink and a curry on a Friday but I am not sure I would now

Albany Road seems a lot more mellow

Re: City Road Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    BBC News - City Road: Five taken to hospital after reports of assault in Cardiff
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58457143

It's always been a bit lively up there but a few very serious incidents recently

When I worked up there , opposite the Roath pub we would often go for a drink and a curry on a Friday but I am not sure I would now

Albany Road seems a lot more mellow
    it's always had its moments, but I wouldn't hesitate to go out for food there, you're very unlikely to get into any aggro really.

Not a family based area .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's really not that bad. some of the asian minimarts along there have some excellent produce.
    some of the new restaurants look pretty good too.

I've been there probably 20 times in the last year at various times of the day or evening and it has been fine.

Saw one obvious junky causing a racket in a side street on one occasion but that was about it.

The old cinema/bingo hall/bowling alley that has been taken over by squatters is a shame though. It looks as though it is falling into a very bad state.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    such a scummy thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's really not that bad. some of the asian minimarts along there have some excellent produce.
    some of the new restaurants look pretty good too.

I've been there probably 20 times in the last year at various times of the day or evening and it has been fine.

Saw one obvious junky causing a racket in a side street on one occasion but that was about it.

The old cinema/bingo hall/bowling alley that has been taken over by squatters is a shame though. It looks as though it is falling into a very bad state.
    I'm okay there, sadly I'd feel worried for the elderly.

Sadly this is very true. When I got married in September 1981 we bought a house just off City Rd. The area at the time was a sold, good working class area. Friendly and welcoming. Not any more. Things started to change in about the mid 1990s. My ex wife being Catholic our girls went to St Peter's. Our next door neighbours 2 girls of the same age went to Albany Rd school where English by then was fast becoming the second language. I dread to think what it is now The last time I walked down there at night, one summer evening about four years ago, it was full of chavvies, junkies and Asian gangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Sadly this is very true. When I got married in September 1981 we bought a house just off City Rd. The area at the time was a sold, good working class area. Friendly and welcoming. Not any more. Things started to change in about the mid 1990s. My ex wife being Catholic our girls went to St Peter's. Our next door neighbours 2 girls of the same age went to Albany Rd school where English by then was fast becoming the second language. I dread to think what it is now The last time I walked down there at night, one summer evening about four years ago, it was full of chavvies, junkies and Asian gangs.

I walked down there about 2 weeks ago and it was fine, some of the new restaurants look nice, and some of the small Asian shops are fantastic

I'm okay there, sadly I'd feel worried for the elderly.
    Based on what? apart from this incident, i can't really think of any problems with people being attacked or robbed. I go there from time to time for food, and it's friendly and relaxed. The youngsters like to show off their flash cars that daddy has obviously paid for, but there's no issue down there, or at least, i haven't see any.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Based on what? apart from this incident, i can't really think of any problems with people being attacked or robbed. I go there from time to time for food, and it's friendly and relaxed. The youngsters like to show off their flash cars that daddy has obviously paid for, but there's no issue down there, or at least, i haven't see any.
    It's one of the highest areas for crime in Cardiff

Last 3 months has seen 200 violent crimes , on average , per month

When I worked there cardiffs heroin users were being housed in bedsits on and off city road

I don't think there is a clash of cultures or any sort of major meltdown but its a typical mixed inner city area with a transient population , a night time economy , students etc and its quite run down these days

I walked down there about 2 weeks ago and it was fine, some of the new restaurants look nice, and some of the small Asian shops are fantastic
    He probably saw local Asians and some youngsters. Judging by some of his posts the prefect in the local comp could be a "chavvie"

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's one of the highest areas for crime in Cardiff

Last 3 months has seen 200 violent crimes , on average , per month

When I worked there cardiffs heroin users were being housed in bedsits on and off city road

I don't think there is a clash of cultures or any sort of major meltdown but its a typical mixed inner city area with a transient population , a night time economy , students etc and its quite run down these days
    are you sure those figures are correct?
    200 violent crimes a month just in city road?

Approx 7 per day, every day. for 3 days?!?. Must be like the Bronx down there.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

My daughter lives on City rd, we speak at least three times a week. She mentioned the Acid attack yesterday, but hasn't mentioned anything else since living there. I'd like to see where sludge gets his info from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Our next door neighbours 2 girls of the same age went to Albany Rd school where English by then was fast becoming the second language. .
    Careful, you'll have Life on Mars coming down hard on the Welshies....

....oh no, wait, you're talking about the brown folk.....

You should have moved up to Lanrumney, loads of english spoken up there.

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/crime/cf243dj/2019/07

That takes into account crimes up to half a mile away in either direction so takes into account Queen Street.

It doesn’t show 200 violent crimes per month on City Road.

That takes into account crimes up to half a mile away in either direction so takes into account Queen Street.

It doesn’t show 200 violent crimes per month on City Road.
    Yup, Plasnewydd, Cathays and the east of the city centre. Sludge is wrong, unless he's seen some other stats.

Yup, Plasnewydd, Cathays and the east of the city centre. Sludge is wrong, unless he's seen some other stats.
    "Cardiff Crime and Safety Statistics | CrimeRate" https://crimerate.co.uk/south-glamorgan/cardiff
    The most common crimes in Cardiff are violence and sexual offences, with 5,816 offences during 2020, giving a crime rate of 16. This is 8% lower than 2019's figure of 6,292 offences and a difference of 1.35 from 2019's crime rate of 18. Cardiff's least common crimes are possession of weapons, with 138 offences recorded in 2020, a decrease of 19% from 2019's figure of 164 crimes

5816/12 = 484.6666 (per month) for the entire city.

I don't think one road would be the hub for nearly half the violent and sexual crimes in the entire city.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    "Cardiff Crime and Safety Statistics | CrimeRate" https://crimerate.co.uk/south-glamorgan/cardiff
    The most common crimes in Cardiff are violence and sexual offences, with 5,816 offences during 2020, giving a crime rate of 16. This is 8% lower than 2019's figure of 6,292 offences and a difference of 1.35 from 2019's crime rate of 18. Cardiff's least common crimes are possession of weapons, with 138 offences recorded in 2020, a decrease of 19% from 2019's figure of 164 crimes

5816/12 = 484.6666 (per month) for the entire city.

I don't think one road would be the hub for nearly half the violent and sexual crimes in the entire city.
    It's the type of thing that farage and his cronies would come out with.

It's the type of thing that farage and his cronies would come out with.
    Pitiful when it takes to lying really.

City rd has always been a bit lively, a bit random, anything could happen. Quite a few junkies around the newport rd end my ex junkie mate tells me. I’d rather wander up there than Clifton street at night

My two brothers live in Roath so when I am back in Wales I spend a lot of time around there.

I can't say that I have personally seen any trouble particularly. It's always been pretty diverse.

I have seen, over the last 10 years, the growing number of homeless people on city road and of course that increases the number of drug dealers which invariably increases crime.

But an acid attack is an awfully cowardly thing to do. Just appalling.