+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hiring a mini digger for personal use Insurance

Hiring a mini digger for personal use Insurance

Can anyone offer advice regarding getting insurance? I want to hire a digger for a week to do some work in the garden. I've used a few them a times over the years so not a complete newbie but I've never taken out insurance. Now that I'm older and wiser though, I want to do things by the book and get temporary insurance. The problem is, all the insurance companies are asking for the name of my business but I haven't got one.

Any advice please lads?

Re: Hiring a mini digger for personal use Insurance

By some strange coincidence, I was looking at this only recently, and came to the conclusion it's easier and cheaper to pay one of these 'one man and his digger' firms to do the work. It does sound like you need it for a bit more than a one or two-day job though, so this might not be the best solution, but you never know. There are a few of them online locally.

the hire company normally does it, always have for me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    the hire company normally does it, always have for me anyway
    Do you have to queue for 2 hours before you get on it?

Thanks all, I've decided to go through JCB insurance as I've heard stories that getting insurance from the hirer is expensive and often doesn't cover situations such as damage to the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Do you have to queue for 2 hours before you get on it?

Agree with getting insurance is a definite.

One of my customers hired one a few tears ago with no insurance, which got nicked from his site and told me he ended up paying the hire company £10,000 back in instalments.

It had a tracker on it, but as it could only identify a general area the police refused to help finding it as they wouldn't go door to door in the area it was being stored.

As it's for 'personal use' does it come wrapped in plain brown paper and delivered by a guy with a 'knowing wink'? I've also found not taking out the insurance adds to the excitement.