Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
Ive never understood the argument that your house has to be sold of to pay for care

these people have paid tax's and NI all their lives, yes they own a home, but surely paying NI and tax's for 50 years mean they have paid enough into the " pot " to not have their home sold from under them

I must have been in my early 20's when I first heard of this, a colleague was angry that his parents were heading into a home, he had been told they had to sell their home ( they had built it themselves down in Cornwall overlooking a beach ) this couple had both worked till retirement ( he was a doctor and she worked as a school nurse giving MMR jabs around Cornwall ) of course they had paid a lot in to the pot, yet were having the house taken away to fund the care home
I feel bad for people in that situation. Chances are, I'll be in that situation myself one day.

But realistically, how can 'the pot' completely support a beautiful beachfront property and care home costs?

When you say the house was taken away, was it being repossessed by the mortgage company?