Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: FT: WALES 0 - 0 ESTONIA. Match thread

beat an average Estonian RB(?)
    obviously meant LB(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    obviously meant LB(?)
    I disagree about Vaulks; we have a way of playing that he wouldn't manage. I'm not enamoured with Morrell either but he's been brought through the system and can trap a ball most of the time.

The players who should be taking his place in the long run are Levitt and Smith (it looks like Ampadu will become a centre half) but are probably deemed to be too inexperienced at present. It's not ideal but there it is. Our conveyor belt runs a little slower most of the time.

Bale's fitness has been discussed for a while. He's been burning those hamstrings off for 16 years but still managed to burst through to hit the post near the end. This was the rusty international break too.

Edit: It's not often you see a sub subbed but Williams should've been taken off; he was being bullied out of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I disagree about Vaulks; we have a way of playing that he wouldn't manage. I'm not enamoured with Morrell either but he's been brought through the system and can trap a ball most of the time.

The players who should be taking his place in the long run are Levitt and Smith (it looks like Ampadu will become a centre half) but are probably deemed to be too inexperienced at present. It's not ideal but there it is. Our conveyor belt runs a little slower most of the time.

Bale's fitness has been discussed for a while. He's been burning those hamstrings off for 16 years but still managed to burst through to hit the post near the end. This was the rusty international break too.

Edit: It's not often you see a sub subbed but Williams should've been taken off; he was being bullied out of everything.
    Williams was the completely wrong player to bring on. Headless chicken. Wilson was stretching Estonia's defence by running in behind, Williams didn't do that once as far as I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Williams was the completely wrong player to bring on. Headless chicken. Wilson was stretching Estonia's defence by running in behind, Williams didn't do that once as far as I can recall.
    Even Roberts was making runs early on and I thought looked lively until 15 minutes when a hologram took his place. It didn't come off but they completely stopped trying after rattling the Estonian CBs. There were acres of space early on and they were there for the taking. We had plenty of subs to play and fresh legs to start the match against a side like Estonia at Cardiff.

I can't help feeling we could have rested an aging Bale and Allen until the second half (if needed), started with Harris, and rotated a rested midfield who are quick and lively. Page had so many better options and a more than adequate bench after a long trip and tough win a few days earlier. We were playing the minnows at home and bottled it.

I agree with Bluebirdman that he should have subbed the sub, probably at 50 mins when we really needed a goal. Some managers are indecisive. He was found wanting against Denmark so shouldn't have been allowed to manage vital WCQs after that match.