+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FT: NOTTINGHAM FOREST 1 - 2 CARDIFF CITY.

Re: NOTTINGHAM FOREST v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Oh, that's right, he's not fond of "foreigners" is he?
    Please clarify. When have I said that I am not fond of foreigners. Are you accusing me of being racist ? It is true though that I don't like people who have nothing good to say about the football team they say they support and you qualify all hands down for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Please clarify. When have I said that I am not fond of foreigners. Are you accusing me of being racist ? It is true though that I don't like people who have nothing good to say about the football team they say they support and you qualify all hands down for that one.
    I'm not looking it up, but you have expressed a distaste for foreign managers before. You can deny it if want. I don't really care.

No it wasn't. Vaulks was already in the team together with Bacuna and it was Bowen that got in when Bacuna dropped out. Get your facts straight.
    Still his first start of the season. So you and MM obviously disagree. Disloyal. I hope you feel ashamed.

Re: FT: NOTTINGHAM FOREST 1 - 2 CARDIFF CITY.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Quite agree with you. Good post.
    This is a message board first!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Dreadful, really dismal, but I expect McCarthy can't believe his luck. He inherited a squad that included Moore, Flint and Morrison, he has Pack and Vaulks to take long throws and he has a cluster of workhorses in midfield who will happily run around all day like chickens with their heads cut off. It's almost perfectly set up for his brand of football (and I use the term loosely). Meanwhile, the bonus for McCarthy is that most of rest of the division is hopelessly weak this season both in terms of physicality and actual ability. While it's grim to watch, it's all set up for Big Mick.
    5 or 6 seasons ago in the Championship there would be 1 or 2 sides at most who set up to play effective, 'percentage' football. The rest would be trying to reach the utopia of attractive flowing football with sound defence. Slowly you're seeing more and more teams changing to long ball, long throw-ins, getting as many crosses into the box, at the expense of sacrificing neat passing movements from the back. Whether sides like Barnsley, Birmingham, Millwall, Preston, Stoke, City etc. have decided their squads are better suited to that style of play, or perhaps success is more readily attained that way - who knows, but City's style whatever we may think of it, is beginning to have it's imitators .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    5 or 6 seasons ago in the Championship there would be 1 or 2 sides at most who set up to play effective, 'percentage' football. The rest would be trying to reach the utopia of attractive flowing football with sound defence. Slowly you're seeing more and more teams changing to long ball, long throw-ins, getting as many crosses into the box, at the expense of sacrificing neat passing movements from the back. Whether sides like Barnsley, Birmingham, Millwall, Preston, Stoke, City etc. have decided their squads are better suited to that style of play, or perhaps success is more readily attained that way - who knows, but City's style whatever we may think of it, is beginning to have it's imitators .
    There has always been a number of sides playing direct football at this level, I cannot remember this time when all but 2 sides were playing attractive flowing football.

Fair enough, and I may prove well wide of the mark given the paucity of genuine quality in the squad, but I think they'll claim a play-off spot almost by default given the fact that so many teams at this level are simply unable to cope with defending against City's aerial threat. They'll just have to keep lobbing the ball into the box to claim points on a regular basis as there are so few teams this time around who are good enough will the ball or physically strong enough.
    I would be surprised (and delighted) if we get into the playoffs.
    It isn't impossible, especially if the younger players really start to shine, but we seem like an average mid table side this season.

If we finish 8th again and by the end of the season have established 4 or 5 (or more) young players as capable at this level then I'll consider that a big success.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Whether sides like Barnsley, Birmingham, Millwall, Preston, Stoke, City etc. have decided their squads are better suited to that style of play, or perhaps success is more readily attained that way - who knows, but City's style whatever we may think of it, is beginning to have it's imitators .
    None of the sides you've mentioned play in the same manner that City do.

Not a great display of football but it is encouraging that the younger players are being given a chance.

Phillips 5/10
    Ng 5/10
    Morrison6/10
    Fint 6/10
    Nelson 5/10
    Pack 6/10
    Bowen 5/10
    Vaulks6/10
    Bagan 6/10
    Collins 5/10
    Harris 6/10
    Moore 7/10
    Colwill 8/10 *man
    Evans n/a

Dour but the job got done.

Football lasts 90 minutes, split into two 45 minute halves. Ignoring one halves display and coming to the conclusion that we will be fighting the drop based on the other halves display is a bit daft don't you think ? You could just as easily take the second half and say that based on that we would be a play off team but that would be just as silly, wouldn’t it. I never cease to be amazed about the number of people that come on this board after a win and slag the team and manager off. Just enjoy the win for gods sake. Any win away in this league is a bonus.
    Well said and only Championship away win of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Not a great display of football but it is encouraging that the younger players are being given a chance.
    What I saw of the game (2nd half only), I was impressed by our ability to keep hold of the ball in the final third, allowing us to constantly keep pressure on the Forest defence, culminating in the winning goal, which was of the highest quality.

Looking forward, the younger players are only going improve and gain in confidence as the season progresses.

In fairness to him, it seems dml1954 hates Bacuna. He's been consistent in stating his dislike of Bacuna and I've no doubt he'd have Vaulks in the team ahead of him.

Vaulks is terrible, though.
    I don't think Vaulks is terrible and I enjoyed seeing him in the starting 11 today. He's scored 9 goals in 71 v Bacuna's 4 in 99. People moan about his tackling but Ralls is just as dangerous (if not more so but I can't be bothered to look up the stats) IMO and that Arter bloke was adored by the fans who love players who run around a lot but don't do very much else other than get booked in the first 20 mins or sent off in the first 45. I don't think we'll keep him on after the summer and anyway, I think Bacuna's contract lasts 6 months longer than Vaulks.

Still only game 6 so let's not put these young lads under any more pressure by talking about possible league position until December.

Collins is a worry for me. He is painfully slow in thought and deed.

Great win though after 1-0 down today and Mick made the right call and early too. See, he does read this board!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I don't think Vaulks is terrible and I enjoyed seeing him in the starting 11 today. He's scored 9 goals in 71 v Bacuna's 4 in 99. People moan about his tackling but Ralls is just as dangerous (if not more so but I can't be bothered to look up the stats) IMO and that Arter bloke was adored by the fans who love players who run around a lot but don't do very much else other than get booked in the first 20 mins or sent off in the first 45. I don't think we'll keep him on after the summer and anyway, I think Bacuna's contract lasts 6 months longer than Vaulks.

Still only game 6 so let's not put these young lads under any more pressure by talking about possible league position until December.

Collins is a worry for me. He is painfully slow in thought and deed.

Great win though after 1-0 down today and Mick made the right call and early too. See, he does read this board!
    Totally agree ,Vaulks cross was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Yes and I don’t understand why. Phillips not done a huge amount wrong over last few weeks but I think Smithies is one of the best in the division
    Yes I agree, apologies I meant Phillips could have done better.

None of the sides you've mentioned play in the same manner that City do.
    Yes they do.

https://eflanalysis.com/analysis/efl...s-cardiff-city

thanks to whoever it was who linked to this site after the Bristol game, here's their analysis of the forest match.
    there's a lot of detail in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://eflanalysis.com/analysis/efl...s-cardiff-city

thanks to whoever it was who linked to this site after the Bristol game, here's their analysis of the forest match.
    there's a lot of detail in there.
    It says we played a back 4 with Bagan in midfield? It was on in the pub bit I didn't take enough notice to see our formation?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It says we played a back 4 with Bagan in midfield? It was on in the pub bit I didn't take enough notice to see our formation?
    We played the usual 3 centre halves and wing backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We played the usual 3 centre halves and wing backs.
    I assumed as much looking at the personnel.

Weird that an analysis of us gets that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I assumed as much looking at the personnel.

Weird that an analysis of us gets that wrong.
    that's how the sky sports app had us lined up as well I think, maybe that's how we told them we were playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that's how the sky sports app had us lined up as well I think, maybe that's how we told them we were playing.
    And on Flash scores as well but they often have it random.

Bagan did get forward an awful lot on Sunday and watching the game it did strike me that Nelson was coming out to the left hand side a lot, so there may be some truth in it - maybe it was a one off given that Giles and Bacuna were out?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Bagan did get forward an awful lot on Sunday and watching the game it did strike me that Nelson was coming out to the left hand side a lot, so there may be some truth in it - maybe it was a one off given that Giles and Bacuna were out?
    I noticed that. I'm looking forward to seeing how Bagan develops. He does like getting forward.
    I think on Sunday it was more to do with the space he had to run into that prompted him to play further up the pitch, forcing Nelson a bit wider in defence, rather than a tactical decision, but I guess we will never know.

I must say that I have been disappointed with Ng since the start of the season. While his crossing has been ok, he does look cumbersome in defence. A lot of mistakes and quite slow.
    I would certainly be starting Sang as right wing back over Ng