+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is violence to genuine football fans what religion is to actual Christianity?

Is violence to genuine football fans what religion is to actual Christianity?

Religion has rightly has been criticised on a recent thread - but do the majority who oppose religion realise that just as the genuine City fan has often been confused with those seeking mindless violence, genuine Christianity is not to be confused with dead man-made religion?

Re: Is violence to genuine football fans what religion is to actual Christianity?

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Religion has rightly has been criticised on a recent thread - but do the majority who oppose religion realise that just as the genuine City fan has often been confused with those seeking mindless violence, genuine Christianity is not to be confused with dead man-made religion?
    The word 'Christianity' somehow evokes the name of a man who was once alive but now dead. The people who selected and edit various screeds that form the current version of The Bible were men who are now dead. If Matthew, Mark, Luke and John ever existed it's pretty safe to assume they are no more. Noah, who supposedly lived until he was 950, presumably snuffed it eventually. The disciples must be rather old if they aren't dead. Adam has to have croaked by now surely. Various heads of churches throughout the centuries, including popes and archbishops have, if they are fortunate, met their makers. Maybe we should consider plant-formed deities as they are far more organic.

Re: Is violence to genuine football fans what religion is to actual Christianity?

I have no idea what's going on here.

I can see what you are saying but the very edifice that is pure Christianity is based on no evidence at all so its very difficult but to question its existence .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I can see what you are saying but the very edifice that is pure Christianity is based on no evidence at all so its very difficult but to question its existence .
    As pure Christianity is Biblical Christianity and the events of the life, death and resurrection of Christ can be affirmed within and without Biblical support, then your 'no evidence at all' makes little sense?

Doesn’t being a genuine christian, just mean living an honest life, and helping as many folk as possible?

As pure Christianity is Biblical Christianity and the events of the life, death and resurrection of Christ can be affirmed within and without Biblical support, then your 'no evidence at all' makes little sense?
    You can prove the somebody called Jesus died and was resurrected?

Most of what was written about Jesus was done after he died so the witnesses to this resurrection were not even there

Affirm is to prove or provide evidence ?

I know that if I pour petrol on a fire it gets more powerful , that's evidence backed up by science

For me there is no evidence of the existence of God, christ doing miracles etc and the afterlife so unless someone comes up with any it all stops there .

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Doesn’t being a genuine christian, just mean living an honest life, and helping as many folk as possible?
    Just cut out the Christian bit

Leviathan..get ****ed..

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Leviathan..get ****ed..
    Take up thy bed and walk ? Its a giveaway !

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I have no idea what's going on here.
    Haha join the club

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Haha join the club
    I've read it more than once as well.

I read once that if you give a typewriter to a chimpanzee, and let them randomly hit the keyboard for long enough, they'd eventually type out the entire bible.
    Is that how Christianity started?

I don't get what anyone gets from taking the piss out of it?

Being a good person and helping others does not qualify as being a Christian in itself and non-believers shouldn't expect a benevolent ticket to the afterlife based purely on good deeds:

John 3:36: “He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

John 3:18: "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God."

Thessalonians 1:8-9
    "In flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might"

Deuteronomy 28:47-48 ESV / 38 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
    Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joyfulness and gladness of heart, because of the abundance of all things, therefore you shall serve your enemies whom the Lord will send against you, in hunger and thirst, in nakedness, and lacking everything. And he will put a yoke of iron on your neck until he has destroyed you.

Deuteronomy 28:47-48
    "Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joyfulness and gladness of heart, because of the abundance of all things, therefore you shall serve your enemies whom the Lord will send against you, in hunger and thirst, in nakedness, and lacking everything. And he will put a yoke of iron on your neck until he has destroyed you"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I read once that if you give a typewriter to a chimpanzee, and let them randomly hit the keyboard for long enough, they'd eventually type out the entire bible.
    Is that how Christianity started?
    Probably

I was forced to try and read it as a kid , I was given a book called catacisms or something , I used to come home from school saying to my old man this is all silly

I was 12 , I was more interested in going fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Being a good person and helping others does not qualify as being a Christian in itself and non-believers shouldn't expect a benevolent ticket to the afterlife based purely on good deeds:

John 3:36: “He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

John 3:18: "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God."

"In flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might"

Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joyfulness and gladness of heart, because of the abundance of all things, therefore you shall serve your enemies whom the Lord will send against you, in hunger and thirst, in nakedness, and lacking everything. And he will put a yoke of iron on your neck until he has destroyed you.

"Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joyfulness and gladness of heart, because of the abundance of all things, therefore you shall serve your enemies whom the Lord will send against you, in hunger and thirst, in nakedness, and lacking everything. And he will put a yoke of iron on your neck until he has destroyed you"
    The big contradiction being that this only applies to non-believers in the eyes of believers. As a non-believer it's irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I've read it more than once as well.
    And you have said that more than once too

Why bother reading a thread about Christianity if you know there will be people justifying it , people argue in against it and people taking the piss

You know the score , go and do a crossword or something

Well if that's what God is like I will stick to Black Sabbath

Sounds like right nasty git

Maybe God as people think of him/her died years ago and nobody bothered telling the masses???

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    And you have said that more than once too

Why bother reading a thread about Christianity if you know there will be people justifying it , people argue in against it and people taking the piss

You know the score , go and do a crossword or something
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The big contradiction being that this only applies to non-believers in the eyes of believers. As a non-believer it's irrelevant.
    It's not really a contradiction. Dem's da rules for those in da club.

It's not really a contradiction. Dem's da rules for those in da club.
    I am joining another club

No, because you can be an Atheist a Muslim or a Buddhist and do all that, which would not mean that you would suddenly become a Christian.

When Paul wrote to Titus, in chapter 3v5 he said this - "He (Christ) saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit".

Again that's what scientific speculation often says, hoping to be true!
    In fact monkeys have been left for long periods of time and typed loads of letters on page after page.
    The result was this, even given that a proper word could be a space followed by an "I" (or an "A") then followed by another space, the monkeys didn't even produce one legitimate word, let alone the encyclopedia britannica or even one word from the Bible.
    And no, they didn't use monkeys from the Swansea area