+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Builders - loft insulation

Builders - loft insulation

I've got to upgrade a few EPC's. Going to do the loft insulation myself.I think I'll need 200mm as this gets me up a scale, but should I get some 200mm or do 100mm twice ?

It's not pleasant up there and looking for the cleanest, easiest option.

Thanks if anyone's got advise.

Re: Builders - loft insulation

Grim dusty job….does that get you from and E to a D?

Whatever you can get your hands on

Nextdoor is insulating as we speak and we had a conversation about this, yesterday.
    Recommended is 250 to 270mm.
    Cost of rigid insulation is daft and you may have difficulty with supply. Sheep's wool might be an environmentally friendly alternative. Years back I laid 100mm parallel between rafters (on top of existing fibreglass stuff) and 100mm at 90 degrees. Does leave a few spaces doing it that way though. Don't take out what's already there though. PPE recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I've got to upgrade a few EPC's. Going to do the loft insulation myself.I think I'll need 200mm as this gets me up a scale, but should I get some 200mm or do 100mm twice ?

It's not pleasant up there and looking for the cleanest, easiest option.

Thanks if anyone's got advise.
    270mm, doesn't matter how you get there. Can't get 270mm anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Nextdoor is insulating as we speak and we had a conversation about this, yesterday.
    Cost of rigid insulation is daft and you may have difficulty with supply. Sheep's wool might be an environmentally friendly alternative. Years back I laid 100mm parallel between rafters (on top of existing fibreglass stuff) and 100mm at 90 degrees. Does leave a few spaces doing it that way though. Don't take out what's already there though. PPE recommended.
    Yeah, some old insulation has asbestos traces in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Wasn't the old fibreglass stuff about 70mm/3 inches ish? Nasty if that gets in the eyes or lungs.

Wasn't the old fibreglass stuff about 70mm/3 inches ish? Nasty if that gets in the eyes or lungs.
    Yeah, bloody awful stuff, as are lofts generally.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Grim dusty job….does that get you from and E to a D?
    Should do. 13-15 pts, so F to E and D to E

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

200 will give me 13pts, and up a level. As you say, can't get anything above 200mm

200 will give me 13pts, and up a level. As you say, can't get anything above 200mm
    Fair enough, crack on.get yourself one of those paper disposable all in one suits for when you do it. Available at Screwfix

Fair enough, crack on.get yourself one of those paper disposable all in one suits for when you do it. Available at Screwfix
    And a proper mask

2 x 140mm if you are feeling flush?

https://www.celticsustainables.co.uk...ol-insulation/

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    And a proper mask
    Absolutely.the cheap ones aren't worth a light, might as well put a pair of pants over your face, although some on here are probably at that kind of shit in a dark corner of their mothers loft.You get what you pay for with masks. Good advice.

2 x 140mm if you are feeling flush?

https://www.celticsustainables.co.uk...ol-insulation/
    Works out at £6 x 2 per m2. About 25m to do. Hmm.

This says no PPE required !!

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not sure I'd take that literally, but looks a lot better to work with than fibregass types etc.

Not sure I'd take that literally, but looks a lot better to work with than fibregass types etc.
    Fair enough, before my loft was converted, it was horrendous up there with dust, old fibres from the insulation etc. It certainly won't do any harm to wear a mask, it's the other shit that could be dodgy. Good luck with your project, Don't go through the ceiling, especially if the missus is having a bath below, like I did!

great stuff, use is to insulate vans ( behind the panels ) and Im using it in my shed and man cave

really doesn't irritate at all

Watch you don’t fall. Wouldn’t want you to break your neck.

Banned

Jobs like this , it's always best to go up the local and find the village alcoholic that will work for beer tokens.
    He won't moan about health and safety or masks or paper suits from screwfix.
    He'll happily jump head first into a job like this for about 40 or 50 squids

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Jobs like this , it's always best to go up the local and find the village alcoholic that will work for beer tokens.
    I think that Monkfish tried what you have suggested. He went to the Village Pub to find the local Alcoholic, but, apparently, you weren't there xxx

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Surprisingly the "£100 a day" people are all now asking for £250 and have a six week waiting list !

Fair enough, before my loft was converted, it was horrendous up there with dust, old fibres from the insulation etc. It certainly won't do any harm to wear a mask, it's the other shit that could be dodgy. Good luck with your project, Don't go through the ceiling, especially if the missus is having a bath below, like I did!
    Not looking forward to it, but will wear decent PPE and take an inspection lamp up there.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    great stuff, use is to insulate vans ( behind the panels ) and Im using it in my shed and man cave

really doesn't irritate at all
    Thanks, good to know.