+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any Plasterers On here ? Advice Required Please

Any Plasterers On here ? Advice Required Please

I'm having a few walls skimmed, but having to take wall paper off first, a couple of Qs:

How 'clling on' free do the walls need to be, as despite removing the paper off there are still the odd tiny bits here and there.

I have made my best effort to remove most of the wall paper paste and all the walls are smooth, but once wet you can feel the tack of years of different pastes.

Can these be skimmed over or not ?

Cheers.

Re: Any Plasterers On here ? Advice Required Please

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I'm having a few walls skimmed, but having to take wall paper off first, a couple of Qs:

How 'clling on' free do the walls need to be, as despite removing the paper off there are still the odd tiny bits here and there.

I have made my best effort to remove most of the wall paper paste and all the walls are smooth, but once wet you can feel the tack of years of different pastes.

Cheers.
    pop to screw fix and buy some sugar soap, dilute in a bucket and scrub hell out of the walls, it'll remove the paste its just a wash, rinse and repeat type of thing

Cheers.
    They hate the little bits left….they have to go….sand them off? Hand sand for less dust….

Use a sanding plane on a roller stick or get a big hand sander and do it that way , feeling for little bumps

Wear a mask and goggles

I wouldn't bother removing the paste , it's a good key for the plaster to stick to

Cheers.
    Is the paste still in a position where it can be scraped off when wet? Like gunge on the scraper. If it ls, then it needs to come off, Best thing to use is a sharp blade scraper. If it's just tacky to the touch, then don't worry about it, the plasterer will use a decent PVA or Pre grit to get over that.

As for small bits of paper. It depends how small. Tiny little bits will be ok as the plasterer should pick them up when he preps the wall, as a plasterer, i've never gone into a house where there isn't a little bit of paper left on. If they're small, don't worry about it, although it wont hurt to take it off.

The positive about wallpaper paste is that it's water based, so any little bits of residue will fade into the plaster work. It's oil based backgrounds or vinyl silk, where plasterers have big problems.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They hate the little bits left….they have to go….sand them off? Hand sand for less dust….
    We do hate it, and slag the customer off, but generally, they pop off with the first coat of PVA, and it's an arse asking the customer to sort it out as you'll be sat in the van for 2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    We do hate it, and slag the customer off, but generally, they pop off with the first coat of PVA, and it's an arse asking the customer to sort it out as you'll be sat in the van for 2 hours
    And it still won’t be done properly

Cheers all