+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rubin Colwill

Re: Rubin Colwill

Can't see that happening, Rjk.

Back three a permanent fixture with Mr. McCarthy.

If any of the three were 'given a rest' it would likely be Nelson.

Morrison did look awfully slow leading up to their goal.

Thought Phillips might have done better.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post

flint and Morrison are both over 30 and both in their last year.
    you'd expect one of them to pick up a knock soon or need to be rested. then we will have a chance to mix things up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post

That's unfair on Phillips imo, the ball deflected off Nelson right in front of him

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes we have a bit of a quandry with Flint playing so well in the centre, and morrison our captain and best defender not doing so well in RCB.

Perhaps it is time to give McGuiness a run of games at RCB and then Flint and Morrison can alternate for the middle defender role?
    I recall Crewe fans saying they though Ng would eventually become a centre back, that could be worth trying. I think Bagan also played there at some point?

I was quite pleased when we put Pack at centre back against Birmingham last season. He's important to our midfield right now but he could well move back there at some point, it would really help us bringing the ball out from the back which is currently fairly poor. I'm not advocating what some here call "tippy tappy football" but it's important to have players comfortable on the ball and in possession all over the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That's unfair on Phillips imo, the ball deflected off Nelson right in front of him
    Agreed, it wasn't a big deflection, but, as Nelson was no more than about six yards away from him, I think he had no chance whatsoever of saving it.

Collins is living off scraps and in the one chance he had he forced the keeper into the save of the game. Give the bloke a chance we're 6 games in.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Collins is living off scraps and in the one chance he had he forced the keeper into the save of the game. Give the bloke a chance we're 6 games in.
    I think Collins really needs a goal to get that monkey off his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    His worst play was not playing in Harris in the 1st minute.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I recall Crewe fans saying they though Ng would eventually become a centre back, that could be worth trying. I think Bagan also played there at some point?

I was quite pleased when we put Pack at centre back against Birmingham last season. He's important to our midfield right now but he could well move back there at some point, it would really help us bringing the ball out from the back which is currently fairly poor. I'm not advocating what some here call "tippy tappy football" but it's important to have players comfortable on the ball and in possession all over the pitch.
    Morrison has to play, it's doesn't suit him but he's our best centre back. Ng and Sang have both struggled (to say the least) this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Morrison has to play, it's doesn't suit him but he's our best centre back. Ng and Sang have both struggled (to say the least) this season.
    Ng has not kicked on as I'd expect him to have done.

Early part of this season, across every competition, is showing how valuable a goal-scorer is. It would be fantastic if Colwill becomes a player who consistently gets ball on target with enough power and luck to see it go in.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Ng has not kicked on as I'd expect him to have done.
    He's not been bad, I'd like to see him get forward a bit more, as he has a decent cross.

Re: Rubin Colwell

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    That you don't understand the difference between opinions and facts explains a lot.
    The facts were that it was a great goal, Vaulks cross was excellent and some people do continually say that we cant play good football. Those aren’t opinions, even you should be able to understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The facts were that it was a great goal, Vaulks cross was excellent and some people do continually say that we cant play good football. Those aren’t opinions, even you should be able to understand that.
    Who has said we can't play good football? I certainly haven't. Notice that I'm using the word 'can't' here. It has a different meaning to saying that we often don't play good football, preferring to hoof the thing up field and hope for the best.

I would like to see us play football like the goals we scored, which involved some passing along the deck, plus one good cross. Moments like those are sporadic to say the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Who has said we can't play good football? I certainly haven't. Notice that I'm using the word 'can't' here. It has a different meaning to saying that we often don't play good football, preferring to hoof the thing up field and hope for the best.

I would like to see us play football like the goals we scored, which involved some passing along the deck, plus one good cross. Moments like those are sporadic to say the very least.
    well we played better football than Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    well we played better football than Forest
    Debatable. While I know we won the game and had more attempts at goal than them, including having one more on target attempt, their passing was better, they kept the ball better than us and also created more chances from open play than we did. It was almost ironic that we scored two goals from open play given that our best chances had, once again, come from set pieces.

I do get the fact that we play to our strengths. I get the fact that McCarthy likes to grind things out. But it's not saying much for our footballing ability when there are few claims that we played better football than the side bottom of the division and have been void of confidence ever since they threw away a playoff spot in the last game of the 2019/20 season.

The crux of the matter is we play with a back 3 who can’t pass the football. They have other strengths but passing isn’t one and they set the tone in the formation we play.

Yes the 2nd goal was a cracker but it wasn’t as a result of a period where we were playing good football. It was more down to individual skill from Moore to turn a basic pass into a defence splitting chance for Colwill and Colwill with a piece of magic. The ball into Moore was just a straight ball into feet from NG, it was hardly pulling forest all over the place with pass and move.

What was evident to me first half is we could not get our midfielders or forwards into the game because the centre half’s were just hoofing it. Sam Bowen was showing for the ball and was constantly ignored.

I don't think we're ever going to step on the toes of the pretty sides but we were only one or two changes from being fully balanced between brutes and ball-players on the weekend.

The one or two changes left to make are introducing a ball-playing CB and probably a Wintle type coming in for Ralls/Vaulks - can't be expected to play pretty football if you're engine room still fully stocked by Warnock.

Still, we used our physicality to earn the right to play and then scored two different but beautiful goals, Collins had a chance created to add a third, while only conceding one and with three/four young players getting significant minutes. Majority of the league (all but four clubs?) would have taken our weekend if offered a swap.

Re: Rubin Colwell

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The facts were that it was a great goal
    Actually that's an opinion

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The crux of the matter is we play with a back 3 who can’t pass the football. They have other strengths but passing isn’t one and they set the tone in the formation we play.

What was evident to me first half is we could not get our midfielders or forwards into the game because the centre half’s were just hoofing it. Sam Bowen was showing for the ball and was constantly ignored.
    100% agree with this. This is undoubtedly our single biggest problem.

Flint, especially, is extremely frustrating in this regard, smashing balls aimlessly into touch when there is a simple 10 yard pass on. People (rightly, at times) criticize the midfield, but when the ball is flying over their heads constantly, what real impact can they have with the ball?

As you say, there were so many times on Sunday when Bowen and Pack were showing and the centre backs would either shit themselves and hoof it or give it to the keeper who would then hoof it. And that's not me being a snob - there's a difference between a targeted long ball into Moore, for example, and an aimless hoof. We play far too many of the latter, and it takes all of our attacking threats out of the game.

I really liked the idea of Pack at CB for this reason and, as good as he's been in midfield this year, I think he'd solve a bigger problem playing in a back 3.

I don't really see Mick changing anything though. I just hope that the youngsters coming in can positively influence our style of play, rather than our style of play influencing them.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post

Flint, especially, is extremely frustrating in this regard, smashing balls aimlessly into touch when there is a simple 10 yard pass on. People (rightly, at times) criticize the midfield, but when the ball is flying over their heads constantly, what real impact can they have with the ball?

As you say, there were so many times on Sunday when Bowen and Pack were showing and the centre backs would either shit themselves and hoof it or give it to the keeper who would then hoof it. And that's not me being a snob - there's a difference between a targeted long ball into Moore, for example, and an aimless hoof. We play far too many of the latter, and it takes all of our attacking threats out of the game.

I really liked the idea of Pack at CB for this reason and, as good as he's been in midfield this year, I think he'd solve a bigger problem playing in a back 3.

I don't really see Mick changing anything though. I just hope that the youngsters coming in can positively influence our style of play, rather than our style of play influencing them.
    Other sides play out from the back, we play into it. Often, we have decent possession of the ball in midfield, it then goes back to the back three who may play a pass or two between themselves before it goes back to the keeper who then whacks the ball up field thus turning it into a fifty/fifty scrap for possession when we had control of it a few seconds earlier.

I definitely want to see us play more football, but, playing Devil’s Advocate a bit, I’d say would changing two of the current back three to bring in a couple of better footballers who would get us playing out from the back make up for the greater number of goals we would concede, arguably, and the lower number of goals we would score, certainly, if, say, Morrison and Flint suddenly dropped out of the side?

Mick McCarthy describes himself as a pragmatist and, as such, it was probably a bit naive of someone like me, who hoped we may see a switch to a more attractive style of play over the summer, to expect him to change things much - I think the best indicator we’ll get as to how we'll proceed over the next season or two will come when we learn whether we want to renew Morrison and/or Flint’s contract.

Where in the back 3 would you play him? Goal at Forest highlighted risk of having slow RCB and Pack is probably slower than Morrison, Pack could move into Flint's role but Flint's numbers have been really good so far this season and Pack wouldn't be good at LCB.

Counter argument to changing back 3 at this time being that Mick has used it to provide minutes for young players because he's confident we're not going to concede many and have great chance of scoring set-pieces. Would you be happy to see less of Bagan, Sang, Bowen, Giles, Colwill if it meant seeing more of Denham/another?

It's likely that at least one of our current CB's leaves this summer which could mean a position change or, youth having had a year's experience, Mick being more confident playing youth at CB.

Tl:Dr Manager has a reason for what he's doing. Fans on internet calling for more progressive style should try to see the reasoning and pros/cons to both it and changing to more pleasing style on the eye.

I don't think any of our players are incapable of playing a simple pass into midfield, but they are clearly being asked to launch it long. We win a lot of aerial duels compared to the other teams in this division, so I guess we are trying to play to our strengths.

Sides who play it out from the back, focus a lot of their training and drills on being able to do that instinctively without thinking, so there's always someone ready to receive it and players are making quick decisions about where to play it next rather than just hoof it.

Most football people I've seen writing on the subject always stress how important it is when playing with a back 3 that at least one of the 3 is quick, and at least one is capable of bringing the ball out, and one is capable of passing the ball into midfield. We are clearly doing something a bit different compared to the perceived wisdom on the topic, and it isn't entirely unsuccessful. Ultimately though it feels like there is a limit to how far we can get just trying to bludgeon our way through teams, and perhaps in time we can add a few more strings to our bow. I'd like to see McGuiness and perhaps some of the other younger guys (Denham or Bakare) getting some game time - but I can understand Mick wants to keep a solid foundation while he beds in players in the rest of the team.