+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FT: COVENTRY CITY 1 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: COVENTRY CITY 1 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm of a similar opinion. So we get youngsters who look good on the ball at development level, then play a totally different type of game for them to have to adjust to when they get to the first team. There's no consistency.
    The board and owner have no clue.

They throw in a few phrases that makes them sound like they know what they're doing but scratch the surface and they are clueless.
    Want to play more football while picking the three most direct footballing managers in the football league while insisting on kids that play football be shoehorned into a first team that is told to get rid of the ball as soon as possible.

The board is to blame. They have brought this all on themselves. It is OK though, they'll sack Mick if he keeps dropping down the league post Christmas and say it was him all along and the new man is the one to turn things round.

I'm of a similar opinion. So we get youngsters who look good on the ball at development level, then play a totally different type of game for them to have to adjust to when they get to the first team. There's no consistency.
    If I recall correctly one of TOBW's recent comments on the youth system was that there is more consistency between youth and senior sides now though youth players still more skillful on the ball.

I inferred that we'd no longer say we're playing a "very good style of football to watch" but still playing a good style of football to watch and in a way that helps them step into first team.

And to think DML has the gall to (falsely) accuse certain posters of going into exile after a win.

I wait with baited breath for him to tell the rest of us what we missed from that 'performance'.

Re: COVENTRY CITY v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Moore looked completely disinterested this evening.
    Something's not right. I'm hoping it's not that he's peaked from his meteoric rise last season in front of no fans and it's something else. I don't think his head is in the right place (no pun intended!). The Covid stuff, vaccines and not starting, missing Wales' WCQs. It's beginning to look wrong to me. Just a feeling.

I just don't see how we play an attractive style of play with senior players we have. Think ideally we end up with Wintle and Bowen as midfield two but forcing them into the spotlight wouldn't be the best for their development, and anyway one isn't currently our player.

What to do with defence though? Some ask for Bagan as the LCB but LB/LWB is definitely best position for him currently, some ask for Pack as RCB but he's not quick enough especially if next to Flint...or are we dropping Flint, moving Morrison central and having Pack RCB? Still think that exposes us too much and our defence would become leakier without significant improvement if Ralls/Vaulks are the options directly ahead of them.

What do you do when best performing players weren't bought to play style of football fans want but you have no money to buy new and kids who can aren't fully ready yet? Do you sacrifice results? Huddersfield did last year and only just stayed up but by becoming more pragmatic towards end of the season. Or do you make changes but in a slower way?

It's a long ol' season if you're not looking for the positives: currently 9th place and lots of minutes for kids we have high hopes for. And TLG keeps telling us we're destined for play-offs. It would be unrealistic to say anything other than plenty more negatives than positives tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Something's not right. I'm hoping it's not that he's peaked from his meteoric rise last season in front of no fans and it's something else. I don't think his head is in the right place (no pun intended!). The Covid stuff, vaccines and not starting, missing Wales' WCQs. It's beginning to look wrong to me. Just a feeling.
    Has his heart set on a move maybe

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I just don't see how we play an attractive style of play with senior players we have. Think ideally we end up with Wintle and Bowen as midfield two but forcing them into the spotlight wouldn't be the best for their development, and anyway one isn't currently our player.

What to do with defence though? Some ask for Bagan as the LCB but LB/LWB is definitely best position for him currently, some ask for Pack as RCB but he's not quick enough especially if next to Flint...or are we dropping Flint moving Morrison central and having Pack RCB? Still think that exposes us too much and our defence would become leakier without significant improvement if Ralls/Vaulks are the options directly ahead of them.

What do you do when best performing players weren't bought to play style of football fans want but you have no money to buy new and kids who can aren't fully ready yet? Do you sacrifice results? Huddersfield did last year and only just stayed up but by becoming more pragmatic towards end of the season. Or do you make changes but in a slower way?

It's a long ol' season if you're not looking for the positives: currently 9th place and lots of minutes for kids we have high hopes for. And TLG keeps telling us we're destined for play-offs. It would be unrealistic to say anything other than plenty more negatives than positives tonight.
    It's hard to know where we can fix anything. Pretty depressing TBH. There were so many times when Coventry's final pass almost ended in the back of the net with an easy goal. A slight heavy touch or a foot out by a defender stopped them from scoring a hatful. I thought their direct play was great to watch tonight. Other teams watching this will know that pace will kill us. Just look at the number of fouls we conceded.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That's my thinking too.

The only move he'll be making will be at a set piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Coventry are a decent side, we are a mid table team, with a few inexperienced youngsters who are going to be inconsistent as they gain experience. Surely nobody is surprised by this result.
    Sadly we're not surprised by the performance either

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    The board and owner have no clue.

They throw in a few phrases that makes them sound like they know what they're doing but scratch the surface and they are clueless.
    Want to play more football while picking the three most direct footballing managers in the football league while insisting on kids that play football be shoehorned into a first team that is told to get rid of the ball as soon as possible.

The board is to blame. They have brought this all on themselves. It is OK though, they'll sack Mick if he keeps dropping down the league post Christmas and say it was him all along and the new man is the one to turn things round.
    ...keeps dropping down the league..we went up a place tonight.

It's hard to know where we can fix anything. Pretty depressing TBH. There were so many times when Coventry's final pass almost ended in the back of the net with an easy goal. A slight heavy touch or a foot out by a defender stopped them from scoring a hatful. I thought their direct play was great to watch tonight. Other teams watching this will know that pace will kill us. Just look at the number of fouls we conceded.
    Huddersfield and Coventry were bad enough to go down last year but 7 games in and their fans are ecstatic this season. Think we're taking a slower approach to changing things but, fingers crossed, if it goes right we'll look back on this season as hugely significant.

Best not over-react and review where we are at Christmas, imo. Two steps forward, three steps backwards to be expected until then but hopefully we see a bit more of what we're trying to do as year progresses...and a side always makes a late charge for play-offs.

Without a doubt. He could be a decent lower Prem striker. Hell, used in the right way, as Wales have done, I reckon he could do a job at somewhere like Villa or Everton.

There's no width in the side, if we're going to play this style of football, he may was well got with Collins, Harris and Moore all upfront and just keep knocking it long. The midfield two keep getting exposed and our centre backs lack pace, I don't think this formation works any more, we always look like conceding and we rarely look like scoring. Very depressing. Coventry played well. Better final pass and they would have slaughtered us.

Ryan Giles still has joint top assists according to BBC stats but has been missing last two games. Can you imagine how different a side if Millwall lost Jed Wallace who has only added one more goal/assists than Giles?

Does anyone know where Giles is by the way? I've missed what's happened to him and Ralls.

Ryan Giles still has joint top assists according to BBC stats but has been missing last two games. Can you imagine how different a side if Millwall lost Jed Wallace who has only added one more goal/assists than Giles?

Does anyone know where Giles is by the way? I've missed what's happened to him and Ralls.
    Ralls a groin injury I think. Seen a suggestion Giles has Covid.

Maybe we should be insisting players get vaccinated? Might help

This was such a poor performance its not even worth singling out individuals or reasons for thier poor performance, let's hope it hurts them and brings about positive reactions.

That's my thinking too.
    If he has his heart set on a move he'd better get his head down between now and Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If he has his heart set on a move he'd better get his head down between now and Christmas.
    Well, whatever it is it definitely involves his head!

I missed the second half

Reading this I'm guessing it didn't go well?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    This was such a poor performance its not even worth singling out individuals or reasons for thier poor performance, let's hope it hurts them and brings about positive reactions.
    I agree and I’m going to bed on this half glass full thinking and hopefully I won’t have nightmares about Collins being the new Madine after all.

Without a doubt. He could be a decent lower Prem striker. Hell, used in the right way, as Wales have done, I reckon he could do a job at somewhere like Villa or Everton.
    Moore is bound to be disappointed not to get his move to the Premier League because, at his age, he must know it might have been his last chance of playing there. One way he could still do it is in a City side which gets promoted, but, clearly, whether it’s via that route or through a move, he has to keep performing like he did last season and that has to be good news for us in the short to medium term at least.

Moore certainly didn’t look like someone whose head was down when he came on against Forest.

One thing that’s been confirmed these last few days is that Nottingham Forest are absolute shite.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ...keeps dropping down the league..we went up a place tonight.
    Yeah. A total freak, you don't usually lose a game and move up a place but you get the general point.

And TLG keeps telling us we're destined for play-offs.
    Apologies for my positive thinking. Like the bookmakers, I had formed the opinion that City would be able to bludgeon most Championship sides into submission via their obligatory aerial bombardment. I had acknowledged the team's lack of ability with the ball, but I believed their physical presence alone would be enough to gain a play-off spot. However, having watched last night's garbage (as well as the recent games against Bristol City and Nottingham Forest), I've revised my opinion. Mid-table now looks odds on to me.