+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Have any clubs played more hoofball than us under 3 consecutive managers?

Have any clubs played more hoofball than us under 3 consecutive managers?

I honestly cannot think of a club that has employed three successive managers with such a route one style as we have.

Can anybody think of any?

Surely by the law of averages we might stumble on a manager that likes to pass it at least a bit next time?

Re: Have any clubs played more hoofball than us under 3 consecutive managers?

People don’t understand the difference between long ball and hoof ball (not saying you)

Tonight was an embarrassment it was hook it in the air at every opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    People don’t understand the difference between long ball and hoof ball (not saying you)

The difference for us is usually between a team that lets us play long balls and are intimidated and the latter when the teams that set about us and give a bit back it results in the more aimless long ball as seen this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    The difference for us is usually between a team that lets us play long balls and are intimidated and the latter when the teams that set about us and give a bit back it results in the more aimless long ball as seen this evening.
    Credit to Mark Robins for nullifying our tactics. I think he's a decent manager who would do a job at a bigger club.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Credit to Mark Robins for nullifying our tactics. I think he's a decent manager who would do a job at a bigger club.
    I'd agree with that, but still it is only 7 games in. I can see one of Huddersfield or Coventry potentially finishing in play-offs this year but definitely not both and the other is likely to be a lot closer to us, if they still keep ahead.

Direct football can be exciting, at the start of the season we went up with Warnock we had a front 3 of Hoilett Zohore and Mendez Laing, it was exciting watching them run at defences. Swansea in contrast are averaging something like 70% possession but haven’t scored in 3 of their 4 home games. There has to be a balance but we are hoofing it far too aimlessly at the moment. We were outplayed tonight but Collins should have scored with that free header and we come away with a point. I suspectMick is turning us into Ipswich mark II, in that we won’t go down with him in charge but there will be a lot of draws and not a lot of good football played

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I honestly cannot think of a club that has employed three successive managers with such a route one style as we have.

Can anybody think of any?

Surely by the law of averages we might stumble on a manager that likes to pass it at least a bit next time?
    How many more longball managers are there?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    How many more longball managers are there?
    Apparently we've had them all .

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I don’t agree, we tried to pass it for much of the time, but all it did was expose our limitations- Coventry be able to do what we can’t didn’t help matters either.

Felt worse but we didn't get completely bossed on possession, not sure how as we looked really uncomfortable.

Coventry for me are quite direct, that doesn't mean long balls etc necessarily but when they get it they know what they are doing. Against us that resulted in them mostly looking to exploit our lack of pace. So many last ditch tackles or poor touches that saved them from getting in again.

As far as I know they haven't spent a lot so it must be attainable for us, maybe one day.

In the short term can we please go to a back 4, none of the 3 cbs look comfortable bringing the ball into midfield and the wing backs aren't really suited. We haven't even looked as secure defensively as we did for parts of last season.

Seemed to me the only reason we played it was that it didn't expose 2 slower cbs as much, much of this season though we just have the 3 of them getting caught out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don’t agree, we tried to pass it for much of the time, but all it did was expose our limitations- Coventry be able to do what we can’t didn’t help matters either.
    Any time there was a modicum of pressure it was pinged aimlessly into the air. Particularly our younger lot

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Direct football can be exciting, at the start of the season we went up with Warnock we had a front 3 of Hoilett Zohore and Mendez Laing, it was exciting watching them run at defences. Swansea in contrast are averaging something like 70% possession but haven’t scored in 3 of their 4 home games. There has to be a balance but we are hoofing it far too aimlessly at the moment. We were outplayed tonight but Collins should have scored with that free header and we come away with a point. I suspectMick is turning us into Ipswich mark II, in that we won’t go down with him in charge but there will be a lot of draws and not a lot of good football played
    Its funny in the initial spell of Warnocks reign we were fantastic to watch. I think I remember TOBW penning an article saying he'd have to rethink his idea of what made for exciting football.

To quote Bob Paisley, "its not about the long ball or the short ball, its about the right ball". As a few posters have already noted direct, counter attacking football with quick forwards can be great to watch. The problem with managers like Warnock, McCarthy, Malky et. al. is that when their teams arent playing well, the style of play that they insist on leads to the players aimlessly launching the ball forward rather than trying anything more creative. As soon as a team is able to match them physically, theres no plan B, just plan A on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Its funny in the initial spell of Warnocks reign we were fantastic to watch. I think I remember TOBW penning an article saying he'd have to rethink his idea of what made for exciting football.

To quote Bob Paisley, "its not about the long ball or the short ball, its about the right ball". As a few posters have already noted direct, counter attacking football with quick forwards can be great to watch. The problem with managers like Warnock, McCarthy, Malky et. al. is that when their teams arent playing well, the style of play that they insist on leads to the players aimlessly launching the ball forward rather than trying anything more creative. As soon as a team is able to match them physically, theres no plan B, just plan A on steroids.