+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where do we go from here?

Re: Where do we go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Wintle is 24, hardly a development talent. No-one can tell me with a straight face Bowen is a better option, or that the midfielders he should be replacing are so much better than him that he has to go out on loan for a year.
    Precisely why he needs games now. Bowen is younger and the experience of a few games/minutes and being in the first team squad will be more beneficial for him than it would have been for Wintle, who needs to play at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Wintle needs a lot of games, if he can get them at Blackpool with them paying their wages then that's still ok.
    Bowen will be getting a few minutes here and there, so far easier to accommodate even with the other CM s we have
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    One man's rebuild process is another man's using kids because we have allowed our squad to become paper thin.

What parts of the rebuild process are going well for you?
    Playing squad:

- Becoming younger and more skillful - not being shown at this moment in time because defenders and CM hasn't really been looked at yet but type of player being brought in shows understanding of need to develop while cutting wage bill.

- Players we've signed have been spoken about positively by those I judge to have a good grasp on things (various acquisitions appearing on Notthe20's one's to watch) which suggests some good thinking going on even if not always successful.

Youth development:

- Real interest now in bringing through youth from within and being able to attract players let go from likes of Leeds and Man United as Brentford did with London clubs

- Some hints of looking at paying for Category 1/Tier 1 Academy - though it shouldn't stop at hints

- Keeping Steve Morrison seems like a positive move

Infrastructure:

- House of sport 1-3(?) plus now firm intentions to link up with local Universities to further improve facilities
    - Previous stadium expansion isn't recent thing but was a good bit of longer term thinking

Clearly there are things less than ideal and this summer is a big moment to either commitment to improvements or go in the wrong direction (if things do go in wrong direction there's a good chance it's because Mick's contract is a year too long) but there are things which are going right

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Precisely why he needs games now. Bowen is younger and the experience of a few games/minutes and being in the first team squad will be more beneficial for him than it would have been for Wintle, who needs to play at that age.
    The point I'm making is if he's not good enough to get a look in now he's never going to be good enough. 24 years old with nearly 200 professional appearances and he needs more games to develop? I don't agree. He hardly has the best competition in the middle, surely he's better than Vaulks

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Playing squad:

- Becoming younger and more skillful - not being shown at this moment in time because defenders and CM hasn't really been looked at yet but type of player being brought in shows understanding of need to develop while cutting wage bill.

- Players we've signed have been spoken about positively by those I judge to have a good grasp on things (various acquisitions appearing on Notthe20's one's to watch) which suggests some good thinking going on even if not always successful.
    So we bring them into an alien footballing environment where, instead of playing a decent passing game they enjoy at all levels below the first team, they now have to run around like headless chickens and watch the ball being whacked aimlessly from back to front. We then judge their ability and potential in tactics that they've never experienced, rather than trying to accommodate the type of game they are used to at under 23 level etc.

The point I'm making is if he's not good enough to get a look in now he's never going to be good enough. 24 years old with nearly 200 professional appearances and he needs more games to develop? I don't agree. He hardly has the best competition in the middle, surely he's better than Vaulks
    He's getting a look in at Blackpool, he's getting games under his belt at this level. Next season we will likely be wthout ralls, pack and vaulks, so if he's shown he's capable at this level he can some straight in.
    With so many other new faces being bedded in I expect MM wanted to predominantly use his experienced midfielders this season. I certainly don't think it is because Wintle isn't good enough

I'm with you on this totally. There is more to this than meets the eye.

Did McCarthy want him? Was it Wintle or another?

I welcome the change in thought on potentially bringing through youth but it is difficult. If it was that easy everybody would be doing it. Just throwing them in and hoping for the best will have its downside.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I'm with you on this totally. There is more to this than meets the eye.

Did McCarthy want him? Was it Wintle or another?

I welcome the change in thought on potentially bringing through youth but it is difficult. If it was that easy everybody would be doing it. Just throwing them in and hoping for the best will have its downside.
    most other people have been doing it. We've been at the extreme end of ignoring youth for years, now we are just at the upper end of including them. Yes they won't all make it but if a few of them do then it'll make rebuilding massively easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So we bring them into an alien footballing environment where, instead of playing a decent passing game they enjoy at all levels below the first team, they now have to run around like headless chickens and watch the ball being whacked aimlessly from back to front. We then judge their ability and potential in tactics that they've never experienced, rather than trying to accommodate the type of game they are used to at under 23 level etc.
    But at the moment the bulk of our team is still old-school Cardiff. We can only hope the youngsters are getting street-wise this year and ready to play in a more skillful way next year.

I'm not saying everything is going right, and recognise Mick's contract might be a year too long for reasons you've alluded to in your post, but the idea that nothing is going right is not one I can agree with and think we need to be a bit more patient.

Basically, there could be plenty of opportunity to moan this summer onwards (have the board been guessing and really all these good moves are based on nothing?) but right now it appears there's more good than bad and often the last piece of the puzzle is improved performances on the pitch.

He's getting a look in at Blackpool, he's getting games under his belt at this level. Next season we will likely be wthout ralls, pack and vaulks, so if he's shown he's capable at this level he can some straight in.
    With so many other new faces being bedded in I expect MM wanted to predominantly use his experienced midfielders this season. I certainly don't think it is because Wintle isn't good enough
    If it works out then fair play to the club they've pulled a blinder, however I have serious doubts over if he'll be good enough given his age and how quickly he was shipped out after his debut. Again we have terrible options in midfield, if he can't get in ahead of the current crop he's not going to be the man to replace them next season.

If it works out then fair play to the club they've pulled a blinder, however I have serious doubts over if he'll be good enough given his age and how quickly he was shipped out after his debut. Again we have terrible options in midfield, if he can't get in ahead of the current crop he's not going to be the man to replace them next season.
    hes probably closest to pack in playing style, and pack has been playing well so far

But at the moment the bulk of our team is still old-school Cardiff. We can only hope the youngsters are getting street-wise this year and ready to play in a more skillful way next year.
    So we're basically in limbo - trying to accommodate the hoofers and depriving our youngsters of being able to show their abilities. Not a great position to be in.

So we're basically in limbo - trying to accommodate the hoofers and depriving our youngsters of being able to show their abilities. Not a great position to be in.
    what's the alternative?

Since Mick McCarthy joined, Cardiff have amassed more away points than any other team in the league.

*Sorry to ‘piss on the chips’, and apologies to all the experts, (and drama queens) on here .

what's the alternative?
    If the youngsters are our future, why not accommodate them?

If the youngsters are our future, why not accommodate them?
    we are aren't we?

we are aren't we?
    Really? We're telling them to ditch the passing game they've always known to adapt to a long ball game of reacting for the second ball.....

Huddersfield tried to change things in one season last year and risked going down to League One only being saved by easing off push for change at back end of season, Swansea are trying to change in one season and only just outside the relegation spots this year...

We've been eeking out this change over several years and have finished 5th, 8th and are currently 9th. You can call it being in limbo if you like but some things are going well off the pitch and, at least in recent times, clubs on a clear upward trajectory start by going right off the pitch with the 90minues last thing to change.

If I have to make a very early prediction it's that I end the season calling for Tan to be bold and move Mick on so another manager can make the most of the clean slate we're left with going into the summer, but it's such a long season there's no real need to make early predictions and these young players need a supportive environment to help them grow into the players we want them to be.

Really? We're telling them to ditch the passing game they've always known to adapt to a long ball game of reacting for the second ball.....
    Not completely. Goals against Forest and Blackpool show signs of clever passing and movement, even if it's not quite seen enough yet.

Not completely. Goals against Forest and Blackpool show signs of clever passing and movement, even if it's not quite seen enough yet.
    I'd rather accommodate the kids than our aging back 4.

Huddersfield tried to change things in one season last year and risked going down to League One only being saved by easing off push for change at back end of season, Swansea are trying to change in one season and only just outside the relegation spots this year...

We've been eeking out this change over several years and have finished 5th, 8th and are currently 9th. You can call it being in limbo if you like but some things are going well off the pitch and, at least in recent times, clubs on a clear upward trajectory start by going right off the pitch with the 90minues last thing to change.

If I have to make a very early prediction it's that I end the season calling for Tan to be bold and move Mick on so another manager can make the most of the clean slate we're left with going into the summer, but it's such a long season there's no real need to make early predictions and these young players need a supportive environment to help them grow into the players we want them to be.
    Let's go down then. We're going nowhere with our long ball game and our current approach.

Among the endless headers.

I know we're on different sides of the game here, but I don't see anything that our first team produces that is of use to our younger players. In fact, I don't see anything that our first team produces being of use for the seasons that follow.

The danger is over expectation on the youngsters.
    MM has to man-manage the youngsters and cant expect them to perform like seasoned pros week in week out. Rubin had a great game at Forest but starting him at Coventry should never have happened. MM was basically asking him to pick up where he left off and, for a youngster, was way too much to expect.

Let's go down then. We're going nowhere with our long ball game and our current approach.
    If we go down our crowds don't go above 10,000 and we have even less money to invest in our academy, (needed development in our) scouting, transfer dealings....

Positive change gets further away on every measure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The danger is over expectation on the youngsters.
    MM has to man-manage the youngsters and cant expect them to perform like seasoned pros week in week out. Rubin had a great game at Forest but starting him at Coventry should never have happened. MM was basically asking him to pick up where he left off and, for a youngster, was way too much to expect.
    Agreed. But you bleed the youngsters into a system they are already familiar with.