+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another Brexit Bonus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Another Brexit Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You guess it's a 'healthy thing'?

We were in Cornwall 2 months ago and there were vacancies everywhere - especially hotels and restaurants, farming and retail.

A fraction of the European workers who used to keep those sectors going are now there and local people can no longer afford to live near a lot of the jobs (the 'cheaper' accommodation options have gone because of second home sales, rent hikes to cash in on Staycation, and the spread of AirBnB etc - even the tent options have shrunk). The only factor that should ease is the Covid self isolation cause of so many places temporarily or permanently closing.

I can't see much that is healthy in that. Brexit self harm followed by government neglect around housing and cost of living has created a crisis from which some will never recover.
    You are absolutely right IMO to highlight the issue of second homes, AirBnB and the temporary, inevitable rise in prices due to the Covid staycation boom.

Also, whilst unemployment falling is undeniably good news, it's only a collection of regional economic data and the situation in different parts of the country can change, and a huge number of vacancies is no good either - although maybe Cornwall has 'overheated' and this is market correction in action?

I don't see how any of that is related to Brexit however? As I will always state mind, 2020/21 is a statistical washout. An anomaly and we can't compare much due to Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    You are absolutely right IMO to highlight the issue of second homes, AirBnB and the temporary, inevitable rise in prices due to the Covid staycation boom.

Also, whilst unemployment falling is undeniably good news, it's only a collection of regional economic data and the situation in different parts of the country can change, and a huge number of vacancies is no good either - although maybe Cornwall has 'overheated' and this is market correction in action?

I don't see how any of that is related to Brexit however? As I will always state mind, 2020/21 is a statistical washout. An anomaly and we can't compare much due to Covid.
    I agree. So why in thread after thread do you keep providing links to trade data, which in the context of considering the impacts of Brexit are inconclusive at best? Also I'm not sure how the Shell news relates to bigger picture Brexit as you suggest, and confused by your Brexidiocy comment. (Incidentally, are we sure that Shell isn't just forcing the Dutch government's hand to relax it's strict Co2 requirements?). You seem to be clutching at straws a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I agree. So why in thread after thread do you keep providing links to trade data, which in the context of considering the impacts of Brexit are inconclusive at best? Also I'm not sure how the Shell news relates to bigger picture Brexit as you suggest, and confused by your Brexidiocy comment. (Incidentally, are we sure that Shell isn't just forcing the Dutch government's hand to relax it's strict Co2 requirements?). You seem to be clutching at straws a bit.
    I will only respond with such data when people make unsubstantiated claims that Brexit is a DISASTER, that THE END IS NIGH that everyone who voted for it is an IDIOT etc.

I will do that in order to try and restore some semblance of sanity and balance. I'd do the same if the reactionary arguments were in the other direction (they never are).

On balance I think Brexit will be moderately positive for the UK. but I don't think it will transform the country positively or negatively to the extent some fanatics do.

The Shell news, again, is just to highlight the inaccurate tone of much of the debate and to satirise those who insult people for having a view that clearly, on balance, is not the disaster they predicted. That said, I do try not to post anecdotal things like that and try to stick to the bigger picture and it's fair enough to pull me up on it I suppose.

Hope that helps.

I will only respond with such data when people make unsubstantiated claims that Brexit is a DISASTER, that THE END IS NIGH that everyone who voted for it is an IDIOT etc.

I will do that in order to try and restore some semblance of sanity and balance. I'd do the same if the reactionary arguments were in the other direction (they never are).

On balance I think Brexit will be moderately positive for the UK. but I don't think it will transform the country positively or negatively to the extent some fanatics do.

The Shell news, again, is just to highlight the inaccurate tone of much of the debate and to satirise those who insult people for having a view that clearly, on balance, is not the disaster they predicted. That said, I do try not to post anecdotal things like that and try to stick to the bigger picture and it's fair enough to pull me up on it I suppose.

Hope that helps.
    it seems the office for budget responsibility doesn't agree, thy think that Brexit has been twice as harmful for the UK economy than covid 19 has

Are you claiming that the absence of so many European workers in Cornish hospitality and farming in particular (true of other sectors too) is nothing to do with Brexit? Covid travel restrictions have contributed to the acute labour shortage but everyone I spoke to during a 17 day walking holiday there only 2 months ago put Brexit forward as the main cause. Hotels and restaurants were shut as a result and in some areas crops were left in the fields. I expect most of them voted for Brexit - but they were clear about the local impact.